Generic question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Generic question

I currently have an Integra DTR 5.5, it sounds great however it gets pretty hot then shuts down fairly quickly the few times I have cranked the volume.Now the question I am looking at getting another older rcvr somewhere between 85 and 110w. I am trying to keep things equal so I am basing my looking on distortion from 20hz to 20khz. with .08 or less thd. I have never heard any Harmon Kardon or Denon or Yamaha or Marantz, maybe would consider Pioneer Elite( read about all of these ). I am not looking for any specifics just what you think sounds the best. I am aware most of these use high current amps which improve the sound so if you were to pick a brand what would it be?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Better question is what is the impedance of the speakers you are trying to drive? If 4-ohm, you likely need an external amp with 200-300W.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
google "coolerguys" for an easy to build 2 x 120mm fan cooling kit with AV equipment in mind,
also my shelves for most AV stuff are 3/4 ply with a cutout and stiffeners and then uses open mesh wire closet shelf, usually the 16" deep stuff to provide a totally open bottom to facilitate an "uncompromised" air flow.
just trying to help

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay I was too vague my fault, the speakers I have are all book shelf 8ohm polarity, is correct for all 7. My entertainment center has been modified to allow better air flow to rcvr. I had to have the db setting set at -12db to get higher volume. If I play the movie THE WALL aprox. 3/4 volume the rcvr goes into self protect mode at lower volume does not break a sweat. I have read good and bad concerning Integra and Onkyo heat related problems and for what its worth I would rather have something not as prone to excessive heat as this. If it were not for this issue I would have no complaints. So yet again if you pro's out there if you were to purchase an older rcvr going with what I listed what would it be?

Last edited by nwf477; 08-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I like Yamaha receivers. I've owned two in the past 3 years. I sold a Yamaha HTR-7065 to my nephew and missed it so bad I ended up with a 4 year old RX-V3900. It was their top of the line when it came onto the market. It has plenty of power and all the gadgets Yamaha could stuff into a 40 pound chassis. They can be had on ebay and Amazon. Used prices haven't dropped much apparently - Amazon used prices are right around $700 plus shipping. I've had more than a few Onkyo products but have had a few lemons so I steer clear of them.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page