From beginnings. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question From beginnings.

So, I've been considering building a home theater.

My configuration is 5.1. I can't fit 7.1 in my living room.
The receiver I want is the Onkyo TX-SR313. And I have a little problem with speaker connections.

The speaker outputs on the receiver are speaker terminals, I'm fine with that, but however I can't find other speakers with those terminals too with inputs. I only find the ones that just pop out from inside of the speaker. And I'm looking for good speakers at very good prices. Some that can play quite loudly, like front speakers, Center channel, LFE and surrounds.

I figured out the HDMI inputs and outputs and the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and LPCM lossless sound things. But it's the speakers I'm worried about.

I want to buy the speaker wire that's like 5 meters long for my lounge room. But I don't wanna lose sound quality.

Oh and another thing, my budget is around $100-500. And the receiver is $350.

I'm starting to build a home theater. Right now. 0%, it's still a thought now.

For those who are interested, 11.1 receiver, and Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. Can't trust wall mounts. :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Very confused

Here's how I wire up speakers, if it's any help.

I buy cheapo speaker wire of the proper gauge. 16 gauge works for many lengths. There are charts online telling you what gauge for lengths. It's not critical, but improper gauge could result in non optimal frequency response for technical reasons. Make sure the wire is marked on one side as failing to connect black to black and red to red will result in an out of phase issue. As long as the marked side is consistently hooked up to black ( or red your choice,) you should avoid phase issue.

I then buy banana plugs. You need one plug for end end of each wire. As each wire has two sides, that 4 ends per wire. If you hooked up 5 speakers, that's 20 plugs. The plugs are not mandatory, but will help ( and make sure the receiver and speakers have 5 way-binding posts which accept banana plugs.) I would buy good rated plugs that are easy to use.

Then hook them all up, done

If this is an in wall installation, I can't help much as I have never done one of those

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well, perhaps I can increase my budget. Are banana plugs better quality?

I'm starting to build a home theater. Right now. 0%, it's still a thought now.

For those who are interested, 11.1 receiver, and Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. Can't trust wall mounts. :(
post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
The speaker outputs on the receiver are speaker terminals, I'm fine with that, but however I can't find other speakers with those terminals too with inputs. I only find the ones that just pop out from inside of the speaker. And I'm looking for good speakers at very good prices. Some that can play quite loudly, like front speakers, Center channel, LFE and surrounds.
All speaker terminals accept bare wire. The Onkyo 313 uses the cheap spring clips. Most speakers nowadays have binding posts. You just unscrew, insert the bare wire and tighten back down.

If you see speakers where the wire is attached from inside the cabinet they have usually come from a cheap home theater in the box system and probably aren't very good.

Where are you located that the Onkyo NR313 cost $350? That's really high for this entry level receiver.

Afro GT
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The plugs are for simplicity, not sound quality. They make it much easier to connect and disconnect once they are there. They also simplify connecting in cases where you have limited access to the receiver back panel. Of course you don't strictly need them.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , how can i start , newbie , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page