Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Which EQ is better?

Hello to the fine people of AVS.

I don't have a lot of hands on experience with yamaha Or denon receivers. These are the two brands I'm interested in. 2014 Onkyo are feature packed but their EQ/IRC doesn't seem like a winner. does anyone know if they have fixed their HDMI board issues yet?

Back to yammy and Demon. I'm looking at the 2012 and 2013 models for both manufactures. Mid priced ones around 500ish is up my alley. The Denons have audessey silver or gold depending on the model, year, condition in my allowance. I believe these versions have dynamic volume and dynamic EQ.
As for Yamaha, I'm specifically looking at 2013 models with YPAO WITH RSC with multipoint calibration.

I also noticed the new models 2014 have YPAO dynamic volume (FINALLY). But these are a bit out of budget. There is one model that has dynamic volume but not multi point in my price range.

Lastly, I learned Yamaha let's you view & copy the settings YPAO RSC generates and "paste" then to Yamaha's Parametric EQ for fine tuning. I like that.

Now my long awaited questions haha...

1.Does Denon have any PEQ or GEQ that allows something similar?

2.Anyone compare YPAO RSC to Audssey silver or gold? Any input will help.

3.Anyone know if multipoint or dynamic volume is more useful with YPAO RSC?

4.Can Yamaha save Or store more than one customized PEQ?

5.I can't seem to find the difference between the 2012 and 2013 models for both receivers ( their websites aren't helpful and inaccurate). Anyone know what was added in 2013?

Any other recommendations are very welcome. I'd like to purchase one by tomorrow.

I appreciate all of you & I hopeful thread will help out others in the same boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, the differences for Denon are spelled out in the first page of the thread, "the official 2013 Denon E/X series avr", etc. Very good reading and explanation for the denons.
Don't know about the other manufacturers.
If you are looking at internet pricing, I just bought a Denon x3000, receiving it Monday. So, the shipping time to me was about a week (across country--east coast to AZ). PM me for pricing and store name if interested.

I set up Audyssey Tuesday night. Very impressed with it.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
Well, the differences for Denon are spelled out in the first page of the thread, "the official 2013 Denon E/X series avr", etc. Very good reading and explanation for the denons.
Don't know about the other manufacturers.
If you are looking at internet pricing, I just bought a Denon x3000, receiving it Monday. So, the shipping time to me was about a week (across country--east coast to AZ). PM me for pricing and store name if interested.

I set up Audyssey Tuesday night. Very impressed with it.
Pm sent

post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

So I went into best buy to mess around. I couldn't find the PEQ or any EQ at all the yamahas. Even the options MeNu didn't yield many options

Last edited by richabi; 08-07-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
As for Yamaha, I'm specifically looking at 2013 models with YPAO WITH RSC with multipoint calibration.
I find multi-point useless on my Yamaha RX-A820. The reason being unlike other manufacturers (who only use the first pass) they use all of the passes to set speaker level among other settings. I guess you can make a case for doing such but in my case not so much.

As an example if your first measurement is dead center and the left speaker is 12' away it may set it to +1 using one pass. Now if you use multi-point it recalculates the level (and other settings) weighing each pass. Let's say you only do two more passes and place the mic a foot closer to the left speaker for each pass. It might set the left speaker to +0.

Which means if you want to sweep the room you best sweep equally side to side and front to back... if your goal to set levels accurately for the sweet spot (my center chair). I posted images of just such during the EQ process in its related thread quite a while back.

You can manually tweak the results (to a large degree) and at any time restore back to the last time you ran the EQ process. I believe different models offer different abilities for storing and retrieving settings. Perhaps other models don't EQ as I described above as well.

Here's the related thread although the images have been lost at some point...
"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread"

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 08-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mr. R that was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share. I was messing around with the adventage 740 or 730 so maybe since its bottom of the adventage barrel, it doesn't have those options. As much as I want to support yahama and prefer theor amp & ascetics, think I'm going denon. Better safe than sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page