Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgraded from NAD 304 to Yamaha RX-V473 - a bit disappointing

Hi,

I had a NAD 304 amp connected to a pair of TDL Near Field Monitor 2 (NF2) Speakers on a couple of speaker stands which I have loved the sound of for many years (20 or more!!), but one channel on the amp started losing volume so I chose to replace the amp for a Yamaha RX-V473 AV amp/receiver (I wanted HDMI/Digital Audio/Airplay etc.)

I am only running the new Yamaha amp in stereo mode for now with Digital Music sources and the TV and the pair of TDL's, but the sound is not a patch on what it was before. The NAD gave a lovely warm, rich and colouful sound through the speakers, whereas I am somewhat disappointed in the Yamaha - it seems rather flat and un-interesting. This surprised me somewhat as I have only read good reviews about the Yamaha amp on the Internet before I purchased it - I am wondering if a speaker upgrade may improve things? The TDL's are now pretty old and perhaps the passive cross over's could be deteriorating (although they sounded OK on the NAD). Unfortunately the RX-V473 does not allow a Bi-Amp Connection to the TDL's (which they can accomodate) which may have improved things by bypassing their passive cross-over, which is a bit frustrating.

Now, I have the Yamaha amp, others say it can sound good, so I would like to try and make the most of it, perhaps with a new speaker setup. I intend to use the system mainly for Stereo music listening but I will most likely look to get 3.1 or 5.1 up and running on it in the future for Movies. The room is a small front room (14ft sq) so I am not looking for anything big, and as ever I don't have much money to spend (£300 or so) but can probably find more to grow it over time.

I will be mainly using it for Stereo Audio, but I also want to try and make the Television Audio soundtrak clearer, so it seems to me that I have several options:

1) Keep the TDL's and supplement with a Sub (might add a bit of richer bass?)
2) Keep the TDL's and supplement with a Center speaker (might benefit TV Audio and give a bit of colour to the Stereo front speakers?)
3) Keep the TDL's and supplement with both a Sub and a Center Speaker (Would give me 3.1 surround option)
4) Replace the TDL's with something else for Stereo and forget about Sub and Center for now

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what would sound better than what I currently have?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The NAD has a better amp section. its an integrated amp specifically designed for stereo use. No other bells and whistles.

The Yamaha is an entry level AVR with a bunch of processing, DSP's, 5.1 channels, tuner, networking, streaming etc. More about features than sound quality.

I don't think biamping would have made a difference. It never has in my tests. But your experience may be different.

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a big difference in sound quality from stereo to HT receivers for 2 channel.

I would suggest another 2 channel NAD or HK 2 channel and then add a sub if you are more music oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The NAD has a better amp section. its an integrated amp specifically designed for stereo use. No other bells and whistles.

The Yamaha is an entry level AVR with a bunch of processing, DSP's, 5.1 channels, tuner, networking, streaming etc. More about features than sound quality.

I don't think biamping would have made a difference. It never has in my tests. But your experience may be different.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page