Denon AVR-5600 Bi-wiring/Bi-amping - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR-5600 Bi-wiring/Bi-amping

Hello I just bought a avr-5600 today off of craigslist. I was wondering if i should use the bi-wiring or bi-amping to power a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 75T floorstanding speakers? The specs are 20-275 watts. I also have a powered sub that i will be running with the polks that is more then efficient for the bass response that has 2500 watts rms so I want to try to get the cleanest sound possible with as little distortion as poss at high volumes.

The only way to learn is to shut your mouth and open your ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
You have a powered sub with 2500 watts? What sub might that be?

As far as bi-wiring, that's a total waste of time. As far as bi-amping you should test it yourself so that you'll no longer be curious. Some people notice a difference but the majority don't. Maybe you'll be one of the folks who notices.

You've got nothing to lose but a little time.

Afro GT
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thnx for the super quick response. There's people that don't understand why but I use a car audio sub woofer and amp for my home stereo. The reason being is i have a very large room and the price on powered sub woofers that are big enough to sound good are really high. What i'm using now a kicker solo x 10in and a Memphis mojo MCD2500 sound absolutely mind blowing. Anyway back on subject. Would you happen to know how exactly i need to hook up the wires to run bi amping? It has bi wiring noted on the receiver but i'm still not sure what terminals it's actually referring to. I can't find a manual for this receiver anywhere. I included pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_192742.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	202033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_192750.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	202041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_192859.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	202049  

Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Please don't judge me for the car sub woofer thing either. Lol i've gotten allot of frowns from it except from people that can actually hear it play. I got the idea from a home audio sub that jl makes that looks like its just a w7 in a box for home audio. http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-po...woofers-fathom

Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Damn, 1996 called and wants it's receiver back

I would not bother with biamping.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lol ok man. I feel you on the 1996 thing to but i picked this thing up for $100. I was using a yamaha htr 5250 so this ones a little nicer. I've been thinking bout upgrading to something newer but have been having problems finding a what I actually need because my knowledge on the subject isn't the best. What would be a good recommendation for a price range to around $800 or a lil more if it's worth it. Also I would rather have a integrated amplifier over a receiver also.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I bet that AVR 5600 has massive power and sounds great!

I don't think an integrated amp will have anything over your Denon. An integrated amp will not have any multichannel processing such as Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, nor any HDMI inputs.

Afro GT
Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thnx for your input afrogt that's exactly the info i was wondering about. The multichannel stuff really isn't important to me nor is the hdmi. I'm just looking for something with a good amount of power that can produce a good sound at really high levels. Which once i got this thing up and running after finally figuring a way to use my phone to set the toslink input to a source I can say this thing is a beast. I can see why they use to sell for about $2000 (i believe anyway). So far this thing has no trouble keeping my polks loud enough to be able to hear all the diff frequencies while having my sub push out bass that makes it hard to light a lighter on the other side of the room.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing2NoOne View Post
Hello I just bought a avr-5600 today off of craigslist. I was wondering if i should use the bi-wiring or bi-amping to power a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 75T floorstanding speakers?
The flavor of bi-amping that you are probably talking about is called passive biamping.

Passive biamping is like biwiring except that you connect the amp end of the speaker cables to different amplifiers in your AVR. The AVR supports this feature by sending the same signal to two amplifiers instead of the normal just one.

Both biwiring and passive biamping have no practical sonic benefits. However, due to the placebo effect and expectation effects many perceive audible benefits due to them. Thus it is one of those everlasting audio controversies with clear science behind it that says not so much.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I tried it and I actually thought it sounded worse then just a normal hookup so my vote goes to NAE in the controversial battle. Thnx everyone for your help i'm glad i found this forum.

Tags
AVR-5600 , polk audio monitor 75t floorstanding speaker