Multi-zone Receiver For Basement + Patio - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multi-zone Receiver For Basement + Patio

I have a need to pump sound to 4 speakers in our basement and also to a pair of outdoor speakers. The basement set will essentially be "zone 1" and the outdoor pair would be "zone 2". I would like to have each "zone" act independently of each other...different volumes, different sources, etc. and I would like to be able to control all of that from my Android phone...preferably allowing me to use Spotify on at least of the "zones". I've been looking around and I think the mid range Yamaha receivers will do something like this...I was hoping to keep the cost under $500.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sturmie

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 125
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V675.../dp/B00B981F1U
The Yamaha 675 for $400 will do all that. Put the fronts and surrounds in 7 channel stereo mode for zone 1
and all the network(except airplay)/server/usb/analog/tuner inputs will play stereo in zone 2 at the same time.
The android app will control it all with the receiver connected to the network.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-08-2014 at 01:26 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks...picked up the 677 on a Newegg deal last week that had a free set of mid-level JBL speakers. I have another question though, if I have 4 speakers that need equal sound (basically, just for music for entertaining), would I need to use something like THIS speaker selector or could I potentially use the "surround" or "surround back" speaker outputs on the Yamaha?

post #4 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so I've been playing around with the Yamaha 677 for a bit now and maybe I misunderstood what "multi-zone" meant.

I can't seem to ONLY play something like Spotify in zone 2 (patio)...it always wants to play the same in both zone 1 and zone 2. I have a karaoke setup in my bar (zone 1) and there are times where I might need zone 1 to be playing a different input than zone 2. The Android app is decent, but not very intuitive for more advanced features.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sturmie

post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

To play stereo over 4 speakers set output to 7.1 stereo and turn off any center speaker.

Multizone. Start source for zone2 in zone1 then switch remote/app to zone2. Start playback of same source.
Now switch back to zone1. Start another input source for zone1. Only one internal source (usb, internet radio,
Spotify, radio tuner, server etc.) can be used at any given time.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
To play stereo over 4 speakers set output to 7.1 stereo and turn off any center speaker.

Multizone. Start source for zone2 in zone1 then switch remote/app to zone2. Start playback of same source.
Now switch back to zone1. Start another input source for zone1. Only one internal source (usb, internet radio,
Spotify, radio tuner, server etc.) can be used at any given time.
Great, thanks...I'll give it a shot.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so I played around with this a little more tonight and I have some questions. I have the 4 in-wall speakers plugged into the 2 x fronts and 2 x surround (not the back surround) outputs and the L/R outside plugged into the "Zone 2" speaker outs. If I set up the speakers in the Setup ---> Speakers to 7.1 (and take out the center and back surround), I get great sound from those 4 speakers in the basement, but it's very faint outside AND when I try to adjust the Zone 2 speakers, the display says "FIXED VOLUME". So, my questions are:

1) If I do a manual speaker setup, what option should I choose..."7.1 ZONE1"? That seems to be the only one that references Zone 2 speakers...the problem is, when I do that, I no longer have the option to select fronts (they are grayed out) and I get no sound from ANY speaker in Zone 1...plus side, Zone 2 seems to work then. If I choose the "Basic" option, I get the faint/FIXED VOLUME for Zone 2.

2) Can Zone 1 and Zone 2 be synced to play the same thing? For example, can both play the same Spotify song at the same time?

Thanks for the help.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Your receiver doesn't seem to be working correctly. I would call Yamaha tech support.
Nowhere in the manual is the word 'fixed'. It does refer to zone2 preamp out as not controlled
by the internal volume control, but speaker binding posts are controlled by the receiver volume.
(Next to last sentence on page 81). 7.1 Zone1 should be the correct amp assign.

The receiver is acting like you have an external amp on zone2 with that fixed volume warning.
As far as #2 that function is called 'party mode'. Some brands call that all zone stereo. That
starts with model 777 and above. Some have complained that party mode shares one volume
control for both zones. Kind of what you are experiencing now. Zone2 needs it's own volume control.

For now at least call out what source is playing in each zone and what cable, if any is used.
I have a 773 and zone2 works fine on mine.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, so after an hour+ of troubleshooting, I decided to call Yamaha today and got a very nice support rep who really knew what he was talking about. Essentially, you were right, kikkenit2, you can only one Internet radio/Spotify option at a time, but you can play it simultaneously in Zone 1 AND Zone 2...there is 1-2 sec delay though. The amp assignment needs to be on that "7.1 + 1ZONE" option for you to have two separate volumes for each zone...when I was get that "FIXED VOLUME" issue, it was because I had it set to "BASIC".

Thanks for the help...it was a bit of work, but I finally got everything working the way I wanted and was expecting...phew!

Sturmie

post #10 of 10 Old Today, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the Yahama 677 can play the same content in zone 1 and 2 without a delay? Or is there still a 1-2 second delay?

My zone 2 is 4 sets of speakers (already have speaker selector), one of which is in the dining room -- which is right beside the living room (zone 1). So a delay between the zones would be a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page