Con's
Reliability?
No preouts
Refurb

$349 pioneer vsx1123
Preout
New
Reliable

Which will give me better sound quality.

Which has a better video processing for upscaling.

Which would you choose.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIDEx View Post
$400 for onkyo 636
Pros
Atmos
Con's
Reliability?
No preouts
Refurb

$349 pioneer vsx1123
Preout
New
Reliable

Which will give me better sound quality.

Which has a better video processing for upscaling.

Which would you choose.

Thanks
You mentioned sound quality.

IMO the sound quality of both units is 3rd-rate.

I would suggest that you get a NAD T748, which will sound much better with most speakers. $599.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
You mentioned sound quality.

IMO the sound quality of both units is 3rd-rate.

I would suggest that you get a NAD T748, which will sound much better with most speakers. $599.
I had a Denon x1000 and it just felt so bland. My parents have an older pioneer elite from like 2008 which sounds nice and warm. But haven't heard any other pioneer. Nor have i heard an onkyo.

Sound and vision said the onkyo 636 was the best bang for the buck. And also sounded the best of the pioneer and Yamaha and others
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIDEx View Post
I had a Denon x1000 and it just felt so bland. My parents have an older pioneer elite from like 2008 which sounds nice and warm. But haven't heard any other pioneer. Nor have i heard an onkyo.

Sound and vision said the onkyo 636 was the best bang for the buck. And also sounded the best of the pioneer and Yamaha and others

To me, the sound of almost any Onkyo, Pioneer, Anthem, or Yamaha sounds thin and has no punch or realism; very sterile and unrealistic.

Receivers from Cambridge Audio and NAD are designed with better power supplies that can deliver the peak current needed by the amplifiers with most speakers. They make speakers sound far better and the sound is more satisfying and realistic, with more bass definition and "punch" to the music.

They put a lot more money into much beefier power supplies that drive the speakers better, and with noticeably less distortion (a large difference that is easily measurable with a good distortion analyzer connected and REAL SPEAKERS connected; not a load resistor; big big difference).

The OnkPioYams skimp on the power supplies, and put the money into an endless list of "bells and whistles" to impress the novice buyer.

Lots of Gee Whiz, but where's the beef?

P. S.- That older Pioneer had Class AB amplifiers. The newer ones have Class D switching amplifiers, which do not sound very good in most cases. Another way to cut corners and make the product cheaper at the expense of good sound quality.

Last edited by commsysman; 08-08-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
To me, the sound of almost any Onkyo, Pioneer, Anthem, or Yamaha sounds thin and has no punch or realism; very sterile and unrealistic.

Receivers from Cambridge Audio and NAD are designed with better power supplies that can deliver the peak current needed by the amplifiers with most speakers. They make speakers sound far better and the sound is more satisfying and realistic, with more bass definition and "punch" to the music.

They put a lot more money into much beefier power supplies that drive the speakers better, and with noticeably less distortion (a large difference that is easily measurable with a good distortion analyzer connected and REAL SPEAKERS connected; not a load resistor; big big difference).

The OnkPioYams skimp on the power supplies, and put the money into an endless list of "bells and whistles" to impress the novice buyer.

Lots of Gee Whiz, but where's the beef?

P. S.- That older Pioneer had Class AB amplifiers. The newer ones have Class D switching amplifiers, which do not sound very good in most cases. Another way to cut corners and make the product cheaper at the expense of good sound quality.
$599 is out if my budget (350-400). I will be purchasing only cheap infinity primus for now. So not sure the NAD will benefit me. In the future I get great prices at Polk. Rtia9s sub 650 for the pair. So upgrading is in my future. Just not right now
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Given my two options. Which would you choose?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Still weighing options
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page