Marantz SR680 or Denon AVR 4800 for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz SR680 or Denon AVR 4800 for music?

Hello all, I picked up a Marantz SR680 at an estate sale today and was wondering if it would sound any better than my Denon 4800? I like my Denon though its not the most musical sounding receiver to my ears. This setup is mainly for music only..

My home theater until a Pioneer VSX 1015TX

Was thinking of using the Denon for movies instead of the Pioneer?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Musical means lower distortion to me, which simply gives you better sound quality.

Speakers are much harder to drive than load resistors, which is all they use to generate the endless nonsense puffed-up power specs that are published.

To find out what an amplifier REALLY does in the real world, you have to connect REAL SPEAKERS and then use an expensive high-quality distortion analyzer to get at the real numbers.

Then you will find out that receivers/amplifiers from NAD and Cambridge Audio have MUCH lower distortion than the ones from OnkPioYamAnt which is why they sound better.

Distortion with REAL SPEAKERS can be 100 times as high as with a load resistor, which is why the published specs are so much nonsense.

Good receivers have big beefy power supplies that can allow the amplifiers to supply the peak current needed to drive the speakers properly.

The others skimp on the power supply so they can spend money on endless lists of "bells and whistles".

Lots of GEE WHIZ...but where's the BEEF? Your ears will tell you if you just listen well.

My receiver ratings; based ONLY on sound quality:

Arcam........10

Cambridge Audio .....9

NAD.........8

Marantz.....6

Denon.......5

Pioneer.....3

Yamaha.....2

Anthem.....1

Sony........1

(10 of course being excellent, and 1 being junk)

Of course some models are better than others, but in general that is how I rate them from my listening experience.

Last edited by commsysman; 08-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.