Best AV receiver for my needs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Best AV receiver for my needs?

I've had a 5 channel system set up since about 1996. It is powered through an analog Yamaha RX-V990 which I bought new. I run Celestion DL-8 II's for L/R and 2-channel music with an NHT SuperOne as C and a pair of SuperZeros for rears. No sub nor do I want one. The speakers are all between 87-89db and the stated 100Wts per channel for L,R, C, and 25wts for rears seems to be enough my room which is about 13' wide and opens to about 30'. However, our sitting area is framed off by furniture at about 15' long.

Sources are HDTV, DirecTV HD box, Blu-Ray, VCR, turntable, CD, and cassette deck.

What I want is something similar to what I have in the Yamaha except with HDMI inputs. What I *need* is something that will play 2-channel via some sort of bypass as well as the Yamaha does the task. In fact, for me, 2-channel performance takes precedence. But I also need to have good 5 channel performance. I'd also like reasonably easy to use tone controls (bass and treble). As I never worried about setting up the system with the programs that are included these days those sorts of features aren't as important to me as some.

My budget for a solution is up to around $2000. I'd just automatically looked at the Marantz SR7008 and new Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040. I made the assumtion these would have the best stereo audio performance but they're also loaded with gobs of features that aren't really needed. As this is our family room, I need to get something that does everything well but I do have a couple other 2-channel systems so the idea of a simple IA or separates for this room is off the table.

In summary: something with about 100 wts per channel in the front, great ability to switch all the effects off and give me pure 2-channel stereo, accessible tone controls, a decent phono input would be a plus.

I am completely open to a variety of solutions as long as we can stay within about $2000.

Home Theater: Yamaha RX-V990, Onkyo C-S5VL, Technics, SL-QL1, Celestion DL-8 Series II L/R, NHT center and rears

2-channel living room : Marantz PM8004, Marantz CD6004, Denon DP-23F, NHT SuperOnes

2-channel office: Marantz PM6004, NHT SuperOnes, internet radio fed by iPad Air

Last edited by CSG123; 08-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG123 View Post
I've had a 5 channel system set up since about 1996. It is powered through an analog Yamaha RX-V990 which I bought new. I run Celestion DL-8 II's for L/R and 2-channel music with an NHT SuperOne as C and a pair of SuperZeros for rears. No sub nor do I want one. The speakers are all between 87-89db and the stated 100Wts per channel for L,R, C, and 25wts for rears seems to be enough my room which is about 13' wide and opens to about 30'. However, our sitting area is framed off by furniture at about 15' long.

Sources are HDTV, DirecTV HD box, Blu-Ray, VCR, turntable, CD, and cassette deck.

What I want is something similar to what I have in the Yamaha except with HDMI inputs. What I *need* is something that will play 2-channel via some sort of bypass as well as the Yamaha does the task. In fact, for me, 2-channel performance takes precedence. But I also need to have good 5 channel performance. I'd also like reasonably easy to use tone controls (bass and treble). As I never worried about setting up the system with the programs that are included these days those sorts of features aren't as important to me as some.

My budget for a solution is up to around $2000. I'd just automatically looked at the Marantz SR7008 and new Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040. I made the assumtion these would have the best stereo audio performance but they're also loaded with gobs of features that aren't really needed. As this is our family room, I need to get something that does everything well but I do have a couple other 2-channel systems so the idea of a simple IA or separates for this room is off the table.

I summary: something with about 100 wts per channel in the front, great ability to switch all the effects off and give me pure 2-channel stereo, accessible tone controls, a decent phono input would be a plus.

I am completely open to a variety of solutions as long as we can stay within about $2000.
Hi,
I really like the Yamaha 3020 and I'm sure that you can negotiate a price better then the retail listed.They make great products as you already know.
I do a lot of two channel an just go to Pure Direct or Straight and it sounds great to me.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I also had a Yamaha receiver from an era that predated HDMI (RX-V3300). I am now using a Yamaha RX-A2030 which I like quite a bit. I went for this model due to needing multiple zones. If you do not need multiple zones you will probably be happy with an 830 or a 1030.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I find myself predisposed towards Yamaha and Marantz having both brands and being satisfied with my experience with both.

Thanks for the input so far.

Home Theater: Yamaha RX-V990, Onkyo C-S5VL, Technics, SL-QL1, Celestion DL-8 Series II L/R, NHT center and rears

2-channel living room : Marantz PM8004, Marantz CD6004, Denon DP-23F, NHT SuperOnes

Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
Marantz just dropped the UAP on the SR7008 to make room for the successor SR7009 model in October. Call me for pricing.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the sales pitch.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
These day you should be getting an AVR with room correction either Audyssey or Anthem ARC. I like Anthem because they do great support and they have from small MRX to the real expensive D2V.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG123 View Post
Thanks for the sales pitch.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
You said you were interested in the Marantz SR7008 with Audyssey XT32. Simply pointing out it's an even better deal now.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement