Searching for the right receiver... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Searching for the right receiver...

I just dropped about $3.5k and built my first home theater (speakers and projector). It's a Klipsch setup, I hope I'm happy and the neighbors aren't too unhappy as I have two common walls in the living room

I am trying to find a receiver that does the following (in order of importance):

Required: Must power Klipsch RF-82's, RC-52, RW-10d and RS-52's. These are 100W-150W RMS each or so (400w-600w peak).
Required: Must convert analog inputs to HDMI (want only 1 HDMI out cable to projector)
Optional: 4k upscaling (really want this for futureproofing). 1080p upscaling at minimum.
Optional: Mobile App that allows wireless streaming with Spotify from phone?
Optional: Would like 2 sub preouts
Optional: Wireless: Bluetooth? DLNA? Airplay? Something so that it's future proof.
Optional: Multi-room music: Dual zone audio (only output to outside speakers when guests are over)
Optional: Dual zone viewing (watch two different inputs on two different tv’s)

My budget is $600 (give or take a couple hundred), I'd prefer to spend less as always. I don't know all the cool features receivers do these days, I'm still researching. Anyways, I have $800 in Amazon gift cards I need to spend so any help doing so is appreciated. I'd like to leave some $ for cabling

P.S. am I missing any cool features of Receivers in that list? The first one I found is the Onkyo TX-NR626. Seems to fit the bill?

Last edited by JosiahM1970; 08-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2014, 12:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
Lower level models like the 626 with dual HDMI outputs generally only "mirror" each other to the main zone as is also the case with the new Denon X2100W with on board Wifi and Bluetooth as well as Spotify Connect and analog --> HDMI conversion. Review posts 1-2 in the 2014 Denon Owner's thread. Much more helpful info in posts #3-7 as well.

In order to get independent HDMI audio/video (ie. Zone 2), you will need to upgrade to the 2013 Onkyo 929 or newer 2014 Onkyo 838 or 2014 Denon X3100W.

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
While Amazon is an awesome source for most online ordering, electronics tends to be an exception. If sold directly by Amazon, the pricing will be full MSRP and will be factory authorized. You have to be careful there as if sold by some associated company linked to Amazon it most likely will not be covered by factory warrantee.

From a financial point of view, if you have the cash, I would call JD (post above mine) for current pricing as AVS is fully authorized for everything they sell. AVS has awesome prices, fast delivery and JD is one of the most knowledgable people you will ever talk to. AVS carries Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and other brands. Oh and they sell Klipsch at amazingly low prices if you need to upgrade or expand your system!

If you can, purchase the electronics through JD, save the gift cards for your cables, etc. you will be money ahead. Of course I understand if you are cash limited right now that Amazon helps but be sure to check prices with JD. You may be surprised! I recently got a Denon 4520ci from him for far lower $ than Amazon.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
While Amazon is an awesome source for most online ordering, electronics tends to be an exception. If sold directly by Amazon, the pricing will be full MSRP and will be factory authorized. You have to be careful there as if sold by some associated company linked to Amazon it most likely will not be covered by factory warrantee.

From a financial point of view, if you have the cash, I would call JD (post above mine) for current pricing as AVS is fully authorized for everything they sell. AVS has awesome prices, fast delivery and JD is one of the most knowledgable people you will ever talk to. AVS carries Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and other brands. Oh and they sell Klipsch at amazingly low prices if you need to upgrade or expand your system!

If you can, purchase the electronics through JD, save the gift cards for your cables, etc. you will be money ahead. Of course I understand if you are cash limited right now that Amazon helps but be sure to check prices with JD. You may be surprised! I recently got a Denon 4520ci from him for far lower $ than Amazon.
Hi Peter, your recommendation carries weight and will refer back to this as I'm building. Before I read your post I found the unit on craigslist for $275 used for about a year. I also picked up his Samsung LED "480hz" 6400 series (50") for $500, I think I got some good deals off the guy. Also bought a $150 helicopter for $20, that was a dangerous visit I can no longer afford to pay that guy a visit. He sold me on things I had no interest in buying until he told me the price.

JDS, thanks for the help! This unit upconverts analog to HDMI doesn't it?

Edit: CRAP, it does NOT upconvert and neither does the model above it. CRAP CRAP. I don't use anything that is not HDMI anyway actually...however, I need this to output all HDMI inputs to one HDMI out (to projector across room). I think it at least does that, will continue researching...

Last edited by JosiahM1970; 08-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page