Onkyo Reciever keeps blowing.... HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By audio4life
  • 1 Post By M Code
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo Reciever keeps blowing.... HELP!!!

Hello everyone,
Im new to this forum and this is my first time posting. I have been lurking for a while and learned a lot of great stuff. My situation is that I recently moved into a house that’s pre-wired for several zones. I have my living room (5.1) bathroom, bedroom, and patio. I have used Onkyo’s trade in program because my last receiver fried on me and I am currently working with all the equipment I have listed. My problem is that I am currently on my THIRD receiver from this trade in program as the last two went into protection mode after stinking up my living room like burnt circuits and of course fried. I have had a local professional come out and set everything up and still the receiver has blown. I do have a little knowledge in regards to electrical and home audio, as well as tools for troubleshooting such as a multimeter. As you’ll notice I do have 2 different brands of volume controls, this is something new because it was determined last time that one was bad apparently. None the less there seems to be a weak link somewhere. Although Onkyo has been understanding enough to keep sending me units I believe its time to start looking elsewhere for the weak link. In the mean time I plan I hooking up my 5.1 in the living room and holding off on zone 2 until I get your opinions. I included my components list as well as hyperlinks to all the details. Some info can be found on these sites either in specs or simply in just the descriptions.
Thank you for all your help and insight on this as its driving me crazy!

1 - ONKYO TX-NR626 7.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver
1 - CE TECH Model # 5535 Speaker Volume Control
2 - SOUND APPEAL 100W In-wall Stereo Speaker Volume Control with Impedance Matching
2 PAIRS OF- SOUND APPEAL 5.25" Polypropylene Outdoor speaker (White)
1 PAIR – SOUND APPEAL 6.5" Full Range High Quality Polypropylene Outdoor Speaker (White)

1 – SONANCE SS4 SPEAKER SELECTOR

1 - SCT510 SOUNDCAST WIRELESS TRANSMITTER FOR SUBWOOFER

1 – HTP-390 5.1 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE ( NOT USING THE PASSIVE SUBWOOFER)

1 - JENSEN JS1000-A
dude_abides226 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,335
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Denon X2000 is on clearance sale now.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Denon X2000 is on clearance sale now.
Ive looked at Denon before and ive heard what they have to offer and im very impressed. However at this time I'm really just trying to work with what I have receiver wise. I am planning on upgrading my center and front left and right soon. I found one that has separate connections for each all wrapped up into one nice seamless unit but unfortunately I cant find it right now. I was told I dont need one but i was kicking around the idea of an amplifier instead of speaker selector.
dude_abides226 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bump
dude_abides226 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If your professional set it up then he should be the one to come back out and troubleshoot it. My guess is a wiring problem somewhere.
primetimeguy is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
If your professional set it up then he should be the one to come back out and troubleshoot it. My guess is a wiring problem somewhere.
see im starting to lose faith in him as he has not once taken out his multimeter that why ive come here
dude_abides226 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You're on your third receiver or fourth? I doubt it's the Onkyo. It really does sound like a wiring issue. You say you have 4 zones altogether, do you know how they are to be connected to your receiver? Because the Onkyo 626 can only feed 2 zones, so are you getting sound in all 4 zones?

I suspect that you are connecting the Onkyo to the house wiring which isn't really zones in the avr sense of the word, but it's just one big zone that you can turn on/up speakers in these other rooms via the volume controls in each room. Therefore what you are doing is adding more and more load to 2 channels on the Onkyo amp until it starts smoking, because some of the volume controls you have are not impedance matching.

Please try to answer all of the questions above as it will help us determine what's going on!
quad4.0 likes this.
audio4life is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Time for a new installer...
U are using cheap, low grade products for the switcher, volume controls and outdoor speakers.
The Sonance switcher will load the AVR (doesn't matter the brand) in a stange way often blowing out its outputs...
U need to go to an external amplifier and quality volume controls..

Just my $0.03...
quad4.0 likes this.
M Code is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
quad4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: here
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
If your professional set it up then he should be the one to come back out and troubleshoot it. My guess is a wiring problem somewhere.
3 is too many! There is an obvious wire issue somewhere. You have lots of extras-the volume control and the speaker selector, with all that there is an issue somewhere that is causing this. Onkyo's run hot-do you have it properly vented? All in all, I must agree with primetimeguy that if it was set up by a pro installer you need to get him back to check -impedance-voltage and continuity of all connections.
quad4.0 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
You're on your third receiver or fourth? I doubt it's the Onkyo. It really does sound like a wiring issue. You say you have 4 zones altogether, do you know how they are to be connected to your receiver? Because the Onkyo 626 can only feed 2 zones, so are you getting sound in all 4 zones?

I suspect that you are connecting the Onkyo to the house wiring which isn't really zones in the avr sense of the word, but it's just one big zone that you can turn on/up speakers in these other rooms via the volume controls in each room. Therefore what you are doing is adding more and more load to 2 channels on the Onkyo amp until it starts smoking, because some of the volume controls you have are not impedance matching.

Please try to answer all of the questions above as it will help us determine what's going on!

Im going to agree with you here, Ive now had the reciever hooked up with just the living room for 2 weeks no problem. Ive totally left out the speaker selector w the other 3 rooms/ 6 speakers. Any opinions on a good economical friendly reciever that would pair well?
dude_abides226 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_abides226 View Post
Im going to agree with you here, Ive now had the reciever hooked up with just the living room for 2 weeks no problem. Ive totally left out the speaker selector w the other 3 rooms/ 6 speakers. Any opinions on a good economical friendly reciever that would pair well?
Any receiver will eventually smoke. You need to understand your wiring and speaker selectors as that is where your problem lies.
primetimeguy is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2 zone , blown , onkyo 626 , speaker selector , volume control switch

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off