Av receiver hurts ears/need to pop my ears - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Av receiver hurts ears/need to pop my ears

Purchased a Yamaha v775. Strange thing is it is somehow 'annoying' to my ears/brain although sounds perfectly fine. Feel like I need to 'pop' my ears while/after listening to it. Sound is through small speakers at low volumes. With other sources never a problem (so not the speakers)

Any ideas what could cause this? Serious answers only please.

This is true regardless if I go directly to speakers or if I go to my russound multiroom system and use the russound amp

Never experienced anything like this. Sounds perfectly fine and someone else said they noticed nothing annoying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
When you say, "with other sources never a problem" what are you referring too? Other sources means cd players, dvd/blu ray players, TV cable boxes, all which would connect with the Yamaha v775. But when you say other sources, you seem to mean other avrs or receivers that drive your speakers.

At any rate, you may be experiencing something called ear fatigue. This is commonly experienced when the sound is not balanced or flat across the audio spectrum, but is overly pronounced in the higher frequencies. It's hard to know at this point what you are hearing though.

The Yamaha is a good brand and that shouldn't be the issue, yet your are experiencing something. Did you run the Yamaha room correction system?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
When you say, "with other sources never a problem" what are you referring too? Other sources means cd players, dvd/blu ray players, TV cable boxes, all which would connect with the Yamaha v775. But when you say other sources, you seem to mean other avrs or receivers that drive your speakers.

At any rate, you may be experiencing something called ear fatigue. This is commonly experienced when the sound is not balanced or flat across the audio spectrum, but is overly pronounced in the higher frequencies. It's hard to know at this point what you are hearing though.

The Yamaha is a good brand and that shouldn't be the issue, yet your are experiencing something. Did you run the Yamaha room correction system?
Thanks for trying, the annoyance starts quick, not after an extended period.

By other sources I mean if I listen to USB music through my Denton mini system to my russound vs the Yamaha with the same USB to my russound through the same speakers/amp the Yamaha 'hurts' while the denon is pleasant

In this situation I am just using the line outs from the Yamaha, so I understand the room correction wouldn't apply (although I have the same problem when using the Yamaha amp to the speakers)

My logic tells me it is impossible, but there is an annoyance from the sound making it not useable
post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
What if you listen to the headphone output from the Yamaha? It's more or less the same signal going to the amp section, possibly even the identical signal perhaps with attenuation.

If it still happens to you there there might be something in the inherent signal causing this reaction

If not, I am not sure what would cause such a thing. Seems partly psychological, but that doesn't mean you are not reacting to something in the signal ( not suggesting it's all in your mind, in other words.)

This could also indicate some hearing issue. You might consider getting your hearing checked sometime if this continues.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Yeah, I suspect that the hearing theory could be an issue here.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's the secret mind control circuits that the Japanese embed in all their products. It's just not working on you.

But seriously, you really should get your hearing checked - and if you have some friends, have them check it out your system just in case you got a defective unit.

The fact you're feeling nauseous listening is troubling. Does it happen if you have the unit on but not playing anything?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Perhaps one of the speakers is connected opposite polarity. Check all the red/black connections, starting with L/R speakers.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page