Onkyo 636 vs 626 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo 636 vs 626

I'm looking at upgrading my HT. My current system is getting old, it's a 7.1 Onkyo HT-RC160, which is TX-SR607 receiver w/ HTP-770 speakers.
I'm kind of torn between the 636 and 626 receivers. From what I can tell the amenities are quite similar (BT, wifi, MHL, etc). A few of the differences that I'm interested in are:

MultEQ vs AccuEQ: from the research I have done, there seems to be a prevailing theory that the AccuEQ in the newer 636 is a step backwards from Audyssey MultEQ due to a lack of user-defined customizations. Anybody have any experience/insight on this? This is kind of a big point with me, because I relied pretty heavily on the MultEQ with my old HT. I love having great sound and I'm not afraid of a little tweaking (i.e. adjusting crossover levels, etc), I guess I'm looking for my device to do most of the work for me.

Dolby Atmos: My main question with this is does it require a specific type of "Dolby Atmos" approved or ready speaker. I have read it's compatible with all the current Blu-ray or HDMI standards My current speakers are fairly old and are nothing fancy, so there's no sense in me investing in this feature if it requires me also replacing all of my speakers. Also will this upcoming feature make the issue with AccuEQ moot? Or is that comparing apples to oranges? I see now I have a lot of reading to do regarding Dolby Atmos.

The "future-proofing" with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2: Are these technologies becoming main-stream too far off to justify investing in it now? (Probably a question I must answer for myself). I'm definitely not an early adopter, and I don't see myself springing for any type of 4K TV for at least another 5 years, but you never know, right?

My main quandary is with the whole MultEQ vs AccuEQ. There's only $100 or so difference between the two units. To me it typically makes more sense to go with the latest model just to give yourself the best chance of keeping up with technology, but I'm concerned the 636 has few advantages over the 626. And I would kick myself if I spent the extra $$ on a unit that is no better or worse than one that is 1-year older.

Lastly, while I am a big fan of Onkyo solely based on how my last one held up I am not opposed to a different brand at similar quality/price point. Well reasoned recommendations are welcomed.

Sorry that's probably a lot to digest, but thanks for any input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to decide between this. A pioneer 1123 or possibly a yamaha
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also wondering about going from the 607 to either a 626 or 636. The prices for a refurbished 626 seem hard to beat, unless its not that great of a unit. I've read mixed reviews as far as reliability. Is a 636 worth it over a 626 for someone not planning on upgrading speakers for a while?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pondering the same thing as I'm looking at both of these receivers. Looks like the Denon rates well w/ AVS forum crew.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Probably get the 636 and new technology. I want the ATMOS availability.

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr upgrade , Onkyo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page