x3000 and airplay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
x3000 and airplay?

I have a new x3000 and trying to use/understand airplay (I know nothing about airplay except from Google the last couple of days). First question, can we use airplay if our music is not from iTunes? My wife's phone is an s5, but her music is not from iTunes, but mostly from Amazon. She has most of her music on her kindle fire, but some on her iPhone. Can we use airplay to play that music? Realize I know very little about airplay, but am trying to learn. If I understand correctly, airplay does not have to be hard wired? One other question, does it play out of only one speaker? The manual says, "select the speaker you want to use".

Thx, Frank

Frank, "Still the one"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
I have a new x3000 and trying to use/understand airplay (I know nothing about airplay except from Google the last couple of days). First question, can we use airplay if our music is not from iTunes? My wife's phone is an s5, but her music is not from iTunes, but mostly from Amazon. She has most of her music on her kindle fire, but some on her iPhone. Can we use airplay to play that music? Realize I know very little about airplay, but am trying to learn. If I understand correctly, airplay does not have to be hard wired? One other question, does it play out of only one speaker? The manual says, "select the speaker you want to use".

Thx, Frank
Apple Airplay will allow you to stream audio from you Apple device (such as iPhone or iPad). Thus any audio that is playing from on your phone can be sent to your receiver, whether that is Itunes, Youtube, or any other app. You simply access the control panel (I think it is called that) by swiping up on your phone from the very bottom of your screen. If you phone or ipad is connected to a wifi network that has an Airplay receiver attached you simply choose the receiver and it starts playing. It is great!

BUT it only works on Apple devices, so your Kindle is not going to work.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thx. I will try it this evening when I get home. Hopefully, the x3000 doesn't have to be connected by Ethernet? I need to get a longer cable for that?

Thx

Frank, "Still the one"
post #4 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Ok, thx. I will try it this evening when I get home. Hopefully, the x3000 doesn't have to be connected by Ethernet? I need to get a longer cable for that?

Thx
The X3000 requires an ethernet connection to your wireless router or switch to use any of its network features including AirPlay. However, it does not need to be physically connected to your mobile device or PC. It can communicate with those devices thru your wireless network once you physically connect it to your router/switch.

As far as use of AirPlay and non-Apple devices goes, there are apps for Android devices that can be used to enable you to use AirPlay to send audio from your android device to your AirPlay-capable receiver, AppleTV, or Airport Express. But, I don't know for certain if any of those apps are compatible with your Kindle. Any Mac or Windows PC that has iTunes installed can also send audio via. AirPlay from iTunes. And there are other programs for PC's that can be used as well, such as AirPlayit and AirFoil. So, even if there is no app that will allow you to send audio directly from the Kindle to the receiver using AirPlay, you might be able to use a different app that will allow you to route the audio from your Kindle thru the PC (via. DLNA) and on to the receiver, via. AirPlay.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 02:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:

Thx, Frank
Although you can use Airplay with non-Apple devices (eg. MagicPlay), there are several DLNA Wifi apps (eg. BubbleUPnP, Skifta) you can use as well with the Samsung GS5. Although a hard wired connection from the X3000 to the home's router is more reliable, you can also use another router in "bridge" mode to wirelessly connect to the home's router when located elsewhere in the home or you can also use Powerline adapters. Please review my post #3 linked below regarding connecting to the Home's wifi network.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I was under the impression that using airplay, my receiver did not have to be connected via an Ethernet cable. That it could automatically connect wirelessly via airplay. But apparently that is not the case. My receiver has to have a hard wire or one of the other items noted.
Thx

Frank, "Still the one"
post #7 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
^^
Correct. Unlike the newer 2014 X3100W model which has built-in WiFi and so therefore does not require any additional equipment, the 2013 X3000 does not. In order to use Airplay (or any of the other networking features, eg. Pandora, SiriusXM, Internet Radio, the X3000 must be connected to your home's Wifi LAN.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
We don't have an x3000, but we have an x4000 which is very similar. We have the Ethernet jack on the back of the Denon connected to an Apple Airport Express which is connected wirelessly to our home router which is on the other side of the house. We have iTunes on all computers and several iOS devices. It really is as simple as playing the audio (music, podcasts, etc) and select Denon X4000 from the airplay menu in the control center. Works great, no need to get up off the couch.
Frank
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Frank, thanks,
Frank :-)

Frank, "Still the one"
post #10 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thx, all, for the help. Sitting here now listening to music on my wife's iPhone using airplay. Before that I tried my hp computer. It also worked great. I will try the kindle fire in a little while since that is where most of her music is stored.
Again, thx.

Edit: couldn't get the kindle to play thru the receiver. I was on the web, same router as the others. I will check the manual later. See what, if anything, I am missing.

Frank, "Still the one"

Last edited by gimpy; 08-12-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - X3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page