AVS Forum banner

Pioneer elite vsx44 or sony str dn850

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Talented_TENNth 
#1 ·
This is my first post and first time putting together a system for my house. I am not sure which receiver i should get; pioneer vsx44 or a sony str dn850. I was hoping i can get some opinions.

My speakers i'll be using are def tech promonitor 1000's for the fronts and promonitor 800's for surrounds. My center is a def tech procenter 1000. My sub is a polk psw505.

Like i said, this is my first system so any suggestions or opinions on this set up would be great

#3 ·
My recommendation is: VSX-80 or VSX1124. The VXS40 is Elite but lacks in something really important and its: Advanced MCACC. It has just the Basic MCACC. in which is good; but if you like to tweak you EQ with the 9 band EQ per channel and add few more things like SubEQ then I recommend the VSX-80 or VSX1124 over the Sony.

If you are lucky you can get an Pioneer SC1222 for less than $500. Thants another hell out of a receiver with Advanced MCACC and D3 Amps. I was a happy owner and I sold it to get the new SC-81.

#11 ·
I've been a long time lurker of this forum and Im ready to start building my man cave. I have the option of purchasing a new Pioneer VSX-44 for $300 or a open box Sony STR-DN850 for $320 from best buy. I'll mostly use this for watching movies in my new man cave and streaming music via bluetooth (I know I'll have to buy an adapter for the Pioneer). This is my first AV receiver and I've read where the Pioneer has an archaic menu system.

Which of these receivers is the better buy?!

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.