Improving Onkyo TX-NR818 with Emotiva UPA-700 Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Improving Onkyo TX-NR818 with Emotiva UPA-700 Amp

Pretty big rookie here so I've got a few questions.

I currently own an Onkyo TX-NR818. Onkyo claims it is capable of 135 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC). More specs seen at: http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.p...class=Receiver

Frankly, I am confused as to how that compares with the Emotiva UPA-700 which claims 80 watts / channel (8 ohms; all channels driven). To compare them on a rudimentary level you would think the Onkyo would have the upper hand. But in terms of audio dynamics which one would actually be better. Is it wrong for me to suspect that during high impact audio (explosions, etc.) that the sound quality would actually be better on the UPA-700 despite the seeming difference in specifications.

Additionally, if I was not reaching the maximum output of either of these amps but instead playing and more moderate levels, would there really be any practical difference in sound quality? Is that difference in sound quality achievable using the Onkyo as a Pre Amp/processor?

If there is no significant difference between the upa700 and the nr818, what about something like the XPA-3?

Thanks a ton in advance!

MW

P.S. I am using the amp to power the Polk Tsx 550t and the matching 250C surround and surround left and right.

Tags
Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , TSx550T
Gear in this thread