Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Official Pioneer SC-81 / SC-82 Owners Thread

Greetings:

I'm trying to find out this thread but seems its not available so I'm going to start it with it. Moderators if there thread is available feel free to delete this thread and send me the link so I can follow up. Thanks.

I will start this thread. This receiver seems to be a very awesome receiver at this price point. Im very glad that Pioneer adds the SubEQ on this receiver. Model 1124 Non-Elite and VSX-80 Elite are the only lower models which has SubEQ too;

The main difference between SC-81 and SC-82 is that SC-82 adds PreOuts to all speakers and a sub preout for Zone 2 It also adds 10W per channel 130W vs 120W on SC-81. The SC-81 has PreOuts only to Left and Right Front Speakers. Both has SubEQ and all same other features. Picture of the features are attached here. Taken from Pioneer Website.

I had the 1222 Receiver. Love that receiver; but sold it to get this SC-81. Will keep you posted on this SC-81 as soon as I get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC-81.png
Views:	176
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	209145  

Last edited by javygonx; 08-13-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yessss..

What speakers would be a good match with this reciever. Riddle me this, I want to run this reciever via the displayport 1.2 coming out of my amd graphics card the r9 290x as it is the only port that supports 4k@60hz. Thing is, will there be a way to convert the displayport 1.2 into hdmi 2.0 then into the reciever then into my vizio p series hdmi 2.0 $10,000 dollars to the man with the best answer.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Shifty:

I've never tried Display port but I'm pretty sure it is possible with a $15 adapter. You have to give it a try. I have the link for this adapter sold my Amazon with great reviews. And its cheap.
This adapter supports 4k@60Hz. In that way you can have the 4k support from your PC to your display passing through your receiver Make sure you to click on the HDMI (4k Resolution Model Adapter) after opening the page.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-...o+hdmi+adapter
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got this SC-81 with B&M CM9 with ML Dynamo 700 sub, been using for 2 weeks now. The sound is excellent. I'm satisfied with the sound quality. I tried to compare the sound at bestbuy between Denon x4000 and SC-81, I couldn't hear the difference while SC-81 is class D plus cheaper so I decided to go with 81.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDGxX View Post
I got this SC-81 with B&M CM9 with ML Dynamo 700 sub, been using for 2 weeks now. The sound is excellent. I'm satisfied with the sound quality. I tried to compare the sound at bestbuy between Denon x4000 and SC-81, I couldn't hear the difference while SC-81 is class D plus cheaper so I decided to go with 81.
If you do some tweaks at home with mcacc you will be very impressed. Im not going back to audessey. Im glad I tried Pioneer with D3 Amps and Advanced MCACC. I will get the sc-81 tomorrow!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Well my Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH receiver died 2 weeks ago, power surge, but thanks to DirecTV's insurance plan I made a claim. The awesome news is that they are replacing it with the SC-81. I am excited to get it in and start playing with it.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 347
congratulations! enjoy your upgrade

Steve
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
congratulations! enjoy your upgrade
Thanks I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to open a present.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |

Last edited by fester99; 08-18-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM

Liked: 10
I am currently split between purchasing the VSX-80 and the SC-81. What was it that pushed you all towards the SC-81?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post
Well my Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH receiver died 2 weeks ago, power surge, but thanks to DirecTV's insurance plan I made a claim. The awesome news is that they are replacing it with the SC-81. I am excited to get it in and start playing with it.
Well a bit of bad news, they called today and said they did not have stock on the SC-81 so I will have to find another option.

Last edited by fester99; 08-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My H/K died and I am in a pickle. Since my good old H/K died, I have owned and auditioned several receivers. The 1523-k being one of them. The sound was okay compared to the H/K and I have since been trying to
find a receiver that has similar sound characteristics to the H/K. the only other receiver I have owned that sounded similar was an Anthem MRX 500.

I was pretty impressed with the build quality and features of the 1523-k. My question is, is there any discernible improvement in sound characteristics between last years sc 1523-K and this years sc-82. Or the Elite models vs non-Elites?

The anthem was nice but made my setup sound a bit tiny. The pioneer sounded pretty good with a magical sound field when watching movies but lacked clarity and separation when playing music. Just can't win.

I would go with another H/K if their recent builds weren't' so cheaply made. Any comments on the SC-81 or 82 sound quality compared to older Pioneer models.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got my SC-82 at BB on Friday. I had special ordered it. BB says it shipped. Then five days later I get an email that says it's delayed 2-3 weeks. Then two days later they tell me come pick it up...Anyway not much to say since I just started setting it up. The web interface is wonderful. That's new for me. Make sure you download the firmware and apply it before doing anything else. I've never bought a Pioneer receiver before so I hope this goes well.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaps View Post
Got my SC-82 at BB on Friday. I had special ordered it. BB says it shipped. Then five days later I get an email that says it's delayed 2-3 weeks. Then two days later they tell me come pick it up...Anyway not much to say since I just started setting it up. The web interface is wonderful. That's new for me. Make sure you download the firmware and apply it before doing anything else. I've never bought a Pioneer receiver before so I hope this goes well.
Well this setup is not going so well, probably due to my inexperience. I can't get HDMI working on all of my devices. My Tivo-HD, Plasma TV, WD Streaming box, and HDMI switch work fine. My Blu-ray player I can only get 1080i or 720p to work. Then I have a Matricom Android STB and that isn't showing up at all.

The other weird thing is when I go through the web setup, turn Control Mode On, Arc On, I lose my HDMI input menu. I had to reset the box and do the setup manual and now that part works fine. I know my tv supports Arc, Control Mode...I bought a Yamaha receiver a couple of months ago which I'm moving to another room and had no issues. There are a lot more settings on this Pioneer so I'm sure that it's me and not the unit.

If anyone can suggest something I would really appreciate it. In the meantime I'm going to try some other settings like pass-thru that I haven't tried yet. I'm really surprised that the HDMI switch just works. It's several years old but does support 1080p. I don't have 4k yet. I have to turn off these settings because I love the integration but need to get it working first obviously. Audio is fine. The Advanced Mcacc is really nice. Much more in depth setup than my less expensive Yamaha receiver.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:46 PM

1080px24 required by other devices instead of auto. System is buggy though...Some of the system operations sub-menus disappear and not sure why. Maybe it's taking defaults, I don't know...The whole hdmi sub-menu just goes away and the only way I've figure out how to get it back is to do a reset. Maybe I should have waited for the reviews. I'm sure firmware and my learning curve will meet somewhere in the middle. SC-81 is in my Harmony remote but SC-82 is not there. So some of the settings aren't always right...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
My H/K died and I am in a pickle. Since my good old H/K died, I have owned and auditioned several receivers. The 1523-k being one of them. The sound was okay compared to the H/K and I have since been trying to
find a receiver that has similar sound characteristics to the H/K. the only other receiver I have owned that sounded similar was an Anthem MRX 500.

I was pretty impressed with the build quality and features of the 1523-k. My question is, is there any discernible improvement in sound characteristics between last years sc 1523-K and this years sc-82. Or the Elite models vs non-Elites?

The anthem was nice but made my setup sound a bit tiny. The pioneer sounded pretty good with a magical sound field when watching movies but lacked Dali Lektor 6 and separation when playing music. Just can't win.

I would go with another H/K if their recent builds weren't' so cheaply made. Any comments on the SC-81 or 82 sound quality compared to older Pioneer models.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Hi Joe.

I sold my sc1222 to get the sc81. Honestly I have to say I was inable to noticed SQ difference between 1222 and sc81.

Except for the new features(subeq, 4k upscaling) the rest is the same. Even I cant noticed difference between sabre on sc81 and dacs on sc1222. Im still tewakong and trying to find the best SQ. To match or ever get better results than sc12222.

My next upgrade will be my polk rti-a7 and relace it with monitor audio rx6 or wharfale 10.7. Still deciding....
Old 08-24-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I sold my sc1222 to get the sc81. Honestly I have to say I was unable to noticed SQ difference between 1222 and sc81.

Except for the new features(subeq, 4k upscaling) the rest is the same. Even I cant noticed difference between sabre on sc81 and dacs on sc1222. Im still tweaking and trying to find the best SQ. To match or even get better results than sc1222. After knowing this experience there is no need to upgrade your 1523 to SC82 unless you get a nice deal selling your 1523. But I dont think is really need it.

My next upgrade will be my polk rti-a7 and replace it with monitor audio rx6 or wharfale 10.7. Still deciding....

Last edited by javygonx; 08-25-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two things I noticed from SC81:
1. So far i was unable to makes the mcacc to eq the sub. After calibration when I check the subeq settings all 4 frequencies are flat.

Yesterday while seeing Robocop on my PS4 when I do fast forward or rewind you can hear the relays switching.
I noticed the relays activates because it changes from dts-ma to other format when fast forward or rewind because it switch to STEREO.

Really pisses me off but I found the solution. Set the receiver to "Auto Surround". After that the problem was solved. If anyone experience it dont get scared. At least there is a solution.

Last edited by javygonx; 08-25-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:45 AM

Hey gang... Just ordered the SC-81 today to replace my aging, but loved, 1014. Will post back my thoughts once I get it setup.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thats great!! Awesome receiver and I finally found how to makes this AVR calibrate the sub. Instead of use SYMMETRIC change it to ALL CH when doing full mcacc.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
Thats great!! Awesome receiver and I finally found how to makes this AVR calibrate the sub. Instead of use SYMMETRIC change it to ALL CH when doing full mcacc.
Thanks javygony. Good to know!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
SC-81 homepage
SC-81 brochure
SC-81 manual

Remember when I swore I was going to get the VSX-80? It has been on backorder ever since I ordered it. While waiting for it to be in stock, I started wondering if an extra $300 would be worth saving the electric bill, as well as cutting down on heat radiation so I would be able to set my remote controls on top of my receiver when I'm not using them. Before I canceled the VSX-80, I had to confirm which would provide better tone quality and dynamic range. While Pioneer could have convinced many of us that the extra $300 would have saved our electric bills, when comparing Class D3, standard Class D, and Class A/B amplification, before they even mentioned efficiency, their youtube videos and product detail pages explain Class D3 amps as being able to take further advantage of the wide frequency response and dynamic range utilized by 24-bit PCM, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, DSD, and other high-resolution audio formats than Class A/B can, as well as the fact that compared to standard Class D amps, Class D3 amps don't use electromagnetic interferance filters, feedback loops, and current limiting. Add PQLS bitstream and the 120dB dynamic range of the jitter-tolerant, DSD-to-analog capable ESS Sabre Premier ES9006 DAC, you get performance which would have cost audiovideophiles $2k-$3k not to long ago! I know that the DAC is a 24-bit DAC, and not a 32-bit DAC found in more expensive models, but with no material recorded with 32-bit dynamic range, until such material becomes available, spending extra money for 32-bit dynamic range is pointless at this point. So, as far as I can tell, the SC-81 is a no-brainer, folks. I canceled my order for the VSX-80 and ordered the SC-81. It should arrive some time next week. I might not get it set up until the following week. I have a lot going on in my work and family life. After all this research, I have no doubt that it will be a drastic improvement over my 2010-model VSX-32, with Class A/B amps, PQLS multi-channel PCM, and a 111dB dynamic range Burr-Brown PCM1691 PCM-only DAC. However, in all honesty, I will say that from the moment I placed the order to the moment I get it connected, perform OSD setup, and play a movie, TV show, and album will seem like forever!

*Not HDCP 2.2 compliant!

Last edited by Big C; 09-07-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations on your new purchase

I've been using the original class D Icepower amp'd SC-09TX and the SC-68 with the new amp design. I've been very happy with both, powering inefficient & demanding 4 ohm speakers, so they work for me. I think you made an excellent choice going from the VSX-80 to the SC-81

Enjoy

Steve
Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My system will be feeding seven Yamaha NS-AP5700BLF speakers. I believe they are 6-ohm speakers. What is the factory default impedance on the SC-81? Do I need to change from the factory default?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

it's rated & capable for 4 to 16 ohm speakers. there's no impedance switch to limit power supply current on these SC's or any need for one.

you're good to go out of the box.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it's rated & capable for 4 to 16 ohm speakers. there's no impedance switch to limit power supply current on these SC's or any need for one.

you're good to go out of the box.
I doublechecked the manual, and you're right! Not that it matters to me anymore, but there's no impedance select at power-on on the VSX-80 either. I'm thinking of the 2006-model Yamaha HTR-5935 and 2010-model Pioneer Elite VSX-32 I'm currently using that have an impedance selector. I never experimented with that feature. I just left it at whatever its factory default is. I hope I didn't gradually ruin my 6-ohm speakers over the years! If I did, thank God I have an inexpensive way to replace them. I take it that these new Pioneer receivers know how to determine impedance for you. That is awesome! This gives me even more reassurance that the SC-81 will allow propper impedance matching, which also would allow more audio output if a lower impedance load has been detected. Man am I glad I pulled the trigger on this big ol' bad boy!

Last edited by Big C; 09-07-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I hope I didn't gradually ruin my 6-ohm speakers over the years!
you didn't

Steve
Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I take it that these new Pioneer receivers know how to determine impedance for you.
no receiver, or even amplifier does that. the only device I know of that is impedance matched are multiple speaker selector that allow you to use multiple speaker in various rooms at same time without putting an unsafe load on an amp due to running speakers in parallel.

amps can deliver power into any speaker whether it's 8, 4, 6, 16 ohms. their power into 8 ohms will be less than power into 4 ohms, the main issue becomes the size of the power supply and distortion levels as power goes up. at 4 ohms, the current draw is 2X that at 8 ohms, hence why some amps can't handle hi pwr demands on low impedance speakers.

your 6 ohms is no sweat to any amp with normal 8 ohm ratings.

all the impedance switches do is deliberately limit the current supply so that the amp is less likely to trip the protection circuitry, like putting a restrictor plate in a carberated NASCAR engine or a pop-off valve on a turbocharger. so they don't change impedance ratings on the amp, they just limit the power so the amp can't produce more than a certain amount and go into clipping distortion of shut-off in protection mode.

they aren't needed for receivers with more robust amps.
Big C likes this.

Steve
Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you didn't
What's the worst thing that could happen after setting a receiver's impedance too high or too low for an extended period of time?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
no receiver, or even amplifier does that. the only device I know of that is impedance matched are multiple speaker selector that allow you to use multiple speaker in various rooms at same time without putting an unsafe load on an amp due to running speakers in parallel.

amps can deliver power into any speaker whether it's 8, 4, 6, 16 ohms. their power into 8 ohms will be less than power into 4 ohms, the main issue becomes the size of the power supply and distortion levels as power goes up. at 4 ohms, the current draw is 2X that at 8 ohms, hence why some amps can't handle hi pwr demands on low impedance speakers.

your 6 ohms is no sweat to any amp with normal 8 ohm ratings.

all the impedance switches do is deliberately limit the current supply so that the amp is less likely to trip the protection circuitry, like putting a restrictor plate in a carberated NASCAR engine or a pop-off valve on a turbocharger. so they don't change impedance ratings on the amp, they just limit the power so the amp can't produce more than a certain amount and go into clipping distortion of shut-off in protection mode.

they aren't needed for receivers with more robust amps.
It feels good to know I didn't damage anything, and that my speakers will be as ready as ever for that healthy signal which will come from the SC-81.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

SC-81 Rere Panel HDMI Port Locations, Please

I am sight impaired. I plan on having someone else connect my speaker wires so I don't reverse the polarity, or connect the wrong speakers to the wrong terminals. However, I can handle connecting my player, cablebox, TV, etc., as well as OSD setup. With the SC-81's* rere panel facing you, how are the HDMI ports labeled from left to right? Once the speakers have been connected for me and the amp has been turned around to its normal operating posission, I then reach around back and make all HDMI connections. Of course, I'd know to reverse the order of what you reply with, if you know what I mean. Thanks, guys.

*Being that the SC-82 has the extra analog pre-outs, I'd prefer the answer from an SC-81 owner in case the rere panel is different to accomidate for the extra analog pre-outs on the SC-82.

Last edited by Big C; 09-07-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Tags
Pioneer , sc-81 , sc-82 , sc81 , sc82