Marantz SR7009 or Yamaha RX-A3040? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 93 Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Reliability was the issue, the Denon broke with-in three months get my money back!
Design differences aside, it would be tough to gauge reliability of a Denon over a Marantz. There will always be a percentage of failures no matter what the brand. There are too many factors to compare the two as far as reliability, Are Denon and Marantz units built in the same facility ?, do they share common manufacturing processes ?, How many common components ?, How much shared technology between the two ...... 3 Month failure is not good, do you know what failed? Denon has a pretty good reputation for the most part. I owned a Denon 3808 for quite a while, and it was a good unit, I had no problems with it. I upgraded to a Integra 70.2 and am on my second failure of the HDMI Board. I will be selling it soon as it it is fixed. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 3040 and am so far pleased with it, I have only had it for a few days so I am still learning it.

Quote:
They used to be the same models on the inside, but not anymore. Audioholics did a comparison and came up with this:
This is good to see, I think Marantz should distinguish itself from Denon, not that Denon is bad, but what is the point of offering nearly the same unit with the Marantz Name, they should be different.

Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-XZ71 View Post
.... I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 3040 and am so far pleased with it, I have only had it for a few days so I am still learning it.
How is the sound, how many speakers do you have?
post #33 of 93 Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, how is sound and why don't you choose anthem mrx?

post #34 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 640
^^wse,

The Marantz SR-7009 can process up to 11 channels under Atmos (will need external amps to utilize this). It can up-scale input sources from 2.0 up to 7.2.4 configuration under Dolby Surround mode. Also as per the Denon models, the SR-7009 will have some flexibility in the Atmos speaker setup. Such as:

(1) Front Height + Top Middle
(2) Front Height + Top Rear
(3) Front Height + Rear Height
(4) Top Front + Top Rear (default)
(5) Top Front + Rear Height
(6) Top Middle + Rear Height

Not sure of the Yamaha RX-A3040. Since Gordon-XZ71 has this model, perhaps he can advise the various Atmos speaker combinations that are available as well as the up-scaling surround features offered by Yamaha. I'm not familiar with Yamaha, but they do have good DSP features which some people like. I'd like to know more about the YPAO as it's a big black box right now under various versions.

Audyssey on the other hand is quite well known and AVS member Keith Barnes has written an excellent FAQ that explains it all well.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #35 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
How is the sound, how many speakers do you have?
Sound is good, I would have to say it is as warm sounding as my Integra 70.2. Yamaha seems to have gotten rid of the overly bright sound they once had. I had a RX-V 995 many years ago and I remember that it was fatiguing to listen to. Currently I have a 5.2 setup (Klipsch Legend KLF 20's, C-7 Center, RF-62 Surrounds, SVS PB13 Ultra Sub and B&W ASW-2000 Sub. I will be adding a pair of RS-41 Speakers soon for 7.2 System.

Quote:
Not sure of the Yamaha RX-A3040. Since Gordon-XZ71 has this model, perhaps he can advise the various Atmos speaker combinations that are available as well as the up-scaling surround features offered by Yamaha.
I cant comment on it as Yamaha did not include any Atmos documentation in the manual. They are not going to release the Atmos firmware update until later this fall.

Quote:
I'd like to know more about the YPAO as it's a big black box right now under various versions.
YAPO Seems to work pretty well, it came close in sound to what Audessy did on my Integra, but I always make a few manual adjustments to tailor to my taste. Here is Yamaha's Info on YAPO:

"YPAO™ - R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle Measurement
YPAO - Reflected Sound Control analyzes room acoustics and measures various speaker characteristics, then calibrates audio parameters to achieve optimum sound at any of eight listening positions. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound. It also provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds."

post #36 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Marantz SR7009 expected to be released by end of August.
Will you guys be carrying it? I'm stuck between this and Pio SC-85 but leaning towards Marantz.
post #37 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15054 Post(s)
Liked: 7264
post #38 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I cant comment on it as Yamaha did not include any Atmos documentation in the manual. They are not going to release the Atmos firmware update until later this fall.

YAPO Seems to work pretty well, it came close in sound to what Audessy did on my Integra, but I always make a few manual adjustments to tailor to my taste. Here is Yamaha's Info on YAPO:

"YPAO™ - R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle Measurement
YPAO - Reflected Sound Control analyzes room acoustics and measures various speaker characteristics, then calibrates audio parameters to achieve optimum sound at any of eight listening positions. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound. It also provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds."
Gordon,

I'm interested in how YPAO and Atmos can work together. Since YPAO takes angle measurements, it can know the exact location of the each speaker. Thus from the Main Listening Position, YPAO has the elevation and azimuth to each speaker. The question then becomes the rendering engine used with Atmos. Is this based on fixed positions of each speaker (as per Denon/Marantz/Pioneer/Onkyo) or is it more flexible? The flexibility in speaker placement would be a great differentiating feature for Yamaha. The downside is more processing needed in the rendering calcs.

Some AVS members who have gone to Dolby Atmos for home demo have asked this question to Dolby - I believe it was Keith Barnes. The reply from Dolby is that each receiver manufacturer can make full use of speaker location features. I.e. it's up to the manufacturer to implement depending on costs. Onkyo has gone down the cheap route by dropping Audyssey (using home brew room equalization) and going with fixed speaker locations. Denon/Maratnz/Pioneer have added additional DSP chips with fixed speaker positions. Yamaha has been very quite about all this.

There has been speculation in the Atmos for home thread that Yamaha may surprise us all when the major other AVR manufacturers' (i.e. competition) have done their full monty.

In the meantime, I'd like to know more about YPAO - is there a thread/white paper for getting more technical info? As an owner of a top end Yamaha receiver, are you able to bug Yamaha for more information?

The end goal is to build up a YPAO knowledge base and develop an FAQ - similar to the Audyssey FAQ here in AVS.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 08-18-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo
post #39 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 295
One thing to consider is the speakers... Are they 4-, 6- or 8-ohms? The Pioneers can handily drive 4-ohms speakers. I am not sure if the Denon or Marantz can... At least not to loud levels...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #40 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
In the meantime, I'd like to know more about YPAO - is there a thread/white paper for getting more technical info? As an owner of a top end Yamaha receiver, are you able to bug Yamaha for more information?
Unfortunately I am not an expert on Audessy & YAPO other than being an end user. There are all kind of threads on this and other forums, some against YAPO and some for it. I have searched for detailed info of the inner workings of YAPO and Yamaha has been very tight lipped about it. There is virtually no technical info for YAPO to be found. It is a proprietary piece of software that Yamaha created for it's own products that they seem to not want to let out at all. Audessy is software that can be licensed to hardware builders (ie Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra) and there seems to be more info about it available.

Yamaha has not even released any documentation about Atmos for it's reciever's yet (there is absolutely not a word of it in the current 2040/3040 manual) that I know of other than to say it will be added to their line up via a Firmware Update sometime this fall. I assume owner documentation will come out when the firmware has been released.

Quote:
Onkyo has gone down the cheap route by dropping Audyssey (using home brew room equalization) and going with fixed speaker locations. Denon/Maratnz/Pioneer have added additional DSP chips with fixed speaker positions. Yamaha has been very quite about all this.
I can only guess that with Onkyo purchasing the Pioneer Home Audio business, that Onkyo may have decided to use a variant of Pioneer's Advanced MCACC system, thus saving Onkyo from having to licence Audessy.

Quote:
There has been speculation in the Atmos for home thread that Yamaha may surprise us all when the major other AVR manufacturers' (i.e. competition) have done their full monty.
This would be very cool if Yamaha had something up there sleeve, it would seem that will just have to wait and see how it all rolls out.

post #41 of 93 Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not an expert on Audessy & YAPO other than being an end user. There are all kind of threads on this and other forums, some against YAPO and some for it. I have searched for detailed info of the inner workings of YAPO and Yamaha has been very tight lipped about it. There is virtually no technical info for YAPO to be found. It is a proprietary piece of software that Yamaha created for it's own products that they seem to not want to let out at all. Audessy is software that can be licensed to hardware builders (ie Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra) and there seems to be more info about it available.
Gordon,

Got a few questions on YPAO.

(1) When you setup YPAO are you able to know the elevation and azimuth of each speaker in the setup menu?
Edit (25-Aug-2014): On page 49 of A3040 owner's manual, the angle measurements work for all speakers and the height of the presence speakers. The interesting aspect is the use of the angle/height data under CINEMA DSP mode. It appears that there is only one mode where angle/height of the speakers would be utilized.
(2) Will YPAO equalize multiple subs?
(3) If yes to (2), does YPAO do two subs separately then a combined response like Audyssey? Are there independent level and distance settings for each sub available?
Edit (25-Aug-2014): On page 127 of A3040 owner's manual, each sub can have individual levels and distances.
(4) How many PEQ filters are available for each channel in YPAO?
Edit (25-Aug-2014): From A3040 owner's thread there are 7 PEQ filters available per channel. The first 4 bands for each channel can be set to 31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5Hz, etc. up to 16K, and the other three only start at 500Hz.
(5) For the sub channel, how granular are frequency settings and Q factors?
Edit (25-Aug-2014): On page 128 of A3040 owner's manual, starts at 31.3Hz to 250Hz. Gain is 20dB to +6dB. Q=0.5 to 10.08. From owner's thread, frequencies are fixed in 1/3rd octaves. Only 4 bands are available for the sub.
(6) Are there before and after frequency response graphs available for checking on what YPAO does?

Last edited by steveting99; 08-26-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: answered some questions
post #42 of 93 Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Here is a good review of the upper end Yamaha products. They found that ypao didn't eq the subwoofer as well as Marantz.
They did discover the manual parametric eq, but just barely. Marantz doesn't have that so they weren't prepared for that much control.
The 3040 does eq both subs separately, but not sure how fancy/technical. It does have a 4 band peq with selectable frequencies
of 31, 40, 50, 60 and 70hz with strong q factor. The main channels have a 7 band peq with 28 selectable frequencies from 31hz to 16khz.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-65

Yamaha takes a strategy of less auto eq interference and way more manual custom tweaking built in to keep the sound less processed.
The review has a picture of the graphs that Yamaha/ypao generate. Nothing great. Better to use rew instead.
post #43 of 93 Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^kikkenit2,

Reading through stereophile's review of the CX-A5000 doesn't give me a lot of confidence in YPAO's bass EQ. It missed out applying any PEQ below 125Hz and Karl had to run an external unit called Antimode 2.0 to get the bass right. The before and after graph of what Antimode 2.0 did and what YPAO missed out - is very telling.

In the comments section below the article, Kal basically confirmed that YPAO missed out on the bass EQ.

This has now put me off YPAO.

post #44 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
^kikkenit2,

Reading through stereophile's review of the CX-A5000 doesn't give me a lot of confidence in YPAO's bass EQ. It missed out applying any PEQ below 125Hz and Karl had to run an external unit called Antimode 2.0 to get the bass right. The before and after graph of what Antimode 2.0 did and what YPAO missed out - is very telling.

In the comments section below the article, Kal basically confirmed that YPAO missed out on the bass EQ.

This has now put me off YPAO.
And you are taking an excellent unit out of the running. I've used YPAO for years and never had a problem getting all the bass I could use. YPAO is much more flexible than Audyssey and Yamaha's history of reliability,connectivity, and sound is second to none. I don't believe though that the CX-A5000 has Atmos at this time though. Go look at a CX-A5000, feel the weight, the controls and I think you will change your mind. For the cost there's not another pre-pro that matches it IMO.
post #45 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
"All the bass I could use" is not necessarily the same as "accurate bass at the primary listening position." Supposedly the newest high-end versions of YPAO and MCACC have improved their EQ support both for subwoofers and for the lowest bass frequencies in all channels. Measurements are needed to confirm this, of course.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #46 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^kikkenit2,

In the comments section below the article, Kal basically confirmed that YPAO missed out on the bass EQ. This has now put me off YPAO.
Kal messed up and I kind of chastised him about it in the official receiver thread. Most of which I have since deleted for respect. Yamaha auto eq and manual eq work exactly the same way. The lowest subwoofer frequency available for eq is 31hz. And he misread his graphs/filter bands. They don't make much sense to me either. A minidsp sub eq only costs $110. This will filter down to 20hz if needed. The 2040 and above have a 4 band subwoofer eq he never even tried. It takes more work than xt32, but the Yamaha can sound better. Kal was used to using xt32 on an onkyo flagship and now the Marantz pre/pro. He wasn't familiar with Yamaha. The manual is very weak in manual parametric. Once he got the A5000 eq flat it sounded better than the Marantz. Enough said. Yamaha takes more work to eq. Get a usb mic and measure it with room eq wizard. Almost every a/v website I visit has yamaha rated best sound in mainstream equipment.
post #47 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
"All the bass I could use" is not necessarily the same as "accurate bass at the primary listening position." Supposedly the newest high-end versions of YPAO and MCACC have improved their EQ support both for subwoofers and for the lowest bass frequencies in all channels. Measurements are needed to confirm this, of course.
Okay then I had all the "accurate" bass I needed. YPAO did just fine eq'ing the subs and speakers. Audyssey is not the only eq that works by a long shot.
post #48 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Get a usb mic and measure it with room eq wizard.
For an ignorant end user like me, this sounds complicated. But I'm sure it isn't. I'm interested in the Yamaha, but the need to "manually" equalize the subwoofer to make it sound better keeps me from pulling the trigger. Seems like the Audyssey software on the Marantz would do it for me, but if it's not that hard to do, I'd like to try to do it myself on the Yamaha. Would you guide me to a link where the process and equipment needed is properly explained?

I found a YouTube video explaining the basics on how to use the free "REW" software plus a couple of hardware pieces. But then I found some posts stating that a USB microphone is all the hardware needed. Since I am new in the matter, would you guide this fellow enthusiast in the right direction?

Thanks.
post #49 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Kal messed up and I kind of chastised him about it in the official receiver thread. Most of which I have since deleted for respect. Yamaha auto eq and manual eq work exactly the same way. The lowest subwoofer frequency available for eq is 31hz. And he misread his graphs/filter bands. They don't make much sense to me either. A minidsp sub eq only costs $110. This will filter down to 20hz if needed. The 2040 and above have a 4 band subwoofer eq he never even tried. It takes more work than xt32, but the Yamaha can sound better. Kal was used to using xt32 on an onkyo flagship and now the Marantz pre/pro. He wasn't familiar with Yamaha. The manual is very weak in manual parametric. Once he got the A5000 eq flat it sounded better than the Marantz. Enough said. Yamaha takes more work to eq. Get a usb mic and measure it with room eq wizard. Almost every a/v website I visit has yamaha rated best sound in mainstream equipment.
Okay, Yamaha is now back on the consideration list. Since I've got the MiniDSP (2x4), willing to roll up the sleeves and jump down the rabbit hole of manual REQ.

Some questions from a potential Yamaha AVR newbie.

(1) What is the maximum output voltage of the LFE output in Vrms? I ask this because the MiniDSP can only take up to 2Vrms - after which it will clip the input. Will I need to gain match?
(2) Mentioned that for sub eq, there's 4 PEQ bands available. Is this independent for each sub channel? I.e. total of 8 bands available for two sub channels?
(3) Each sub PEQ appears to be at 5 fixed frequencies of 31Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz and 70Hz? So I can only select 4 out of the 5 frequencies to adjust for gain and Q?
(4) For the other channels there are 28 fixed frequencies from 31Hz to 16kHz. I'm allowed to choose 6 out of 28 to adjust the gain and Q?
(5) What happens if there is a need to correct for frequencies that do not fall into those fixed points defined by Yamaha? Is there anyway to adjust the fixed frequencies?
(6) How does Yamaha carry out two sub equalization? Does it ping each sub individually to get level and distances correct? Or does it do a combined ping for both subs? Are there separate setting for level and distance for each sub? If the subs are set at non-equal distances from the Main Listening Position (MLP) - how does this work?
(7) Is there an established way to use REW + MiniDSP and the Yamaha? I.e. does one run YPAO first and then followed by REW measurements, then apply the PEQ filters? Are there any settings in YPAO that needs to be configured/disabled before running REW?
(8) What is the crossover roll off (db/octave) that's been implemented in Yamaha?
(9) Are Yamaha's PEQ filters IIR or FIR type?

Sorry for all these noob questions, but YPAO is a big black box for me. Going to download the manual and have a read.

Last edited by steveting99; 08-20-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: additional text added for clarity
post #50 of 93 Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelusa View Post
For an ignorant end user like me, this sounds complicated. But I'm sure it isn't. I'm interested in the Yamaha, but the need to "manually" equalize the subwoofer to make it sound better keeps me from pulling the trigger. Seems like the Audyssey software on the Marantz would do it for me, but if it's not that hard to do, I'd like to try to do it myself on the Yamaha. Would you guide me to a link where the process and equipment needed is properly explained?

I found a YouTube video explaining the basics on how to use the free "REW" software plus a couple of hardware pieces. But then I found some posts stating that a USB microphone is all the hardware needed. Since I am new in the matter, would you guide this fellow enthusiast in the right direction?

Thanks.
AVS member Jerry Austin has generously written a step-by-step guide to carry out REW measurement with USB mic. Link is here: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

There are some assumptions in the guide including:
(1) You have a Windows laptop with HDMI port (there is a link for Mac users, but it's not well known);
(2) You have a microphone boom stand/tripod and fittings to hold the USB mic;
(3) Have a receiver that's got an extra HDMI port, and extra HDMI cable.

Suggested purchase of a USB mic from Cross Spectrum Labs here: http://www.cross-spectrum.com/

post #51 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably read this article by Kal but he does explain what method he used to get the best results.

post #52 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Probably read this article by Kal but he does explain what method he used to get the best results.
I subscribed to stereophile online just for this review. When I read it I posted pics of the graphs in the 3030 receiver thread. They weren't available online yet. Then I questioned why he used 40hz crossover without measuring first? And only testing dual subwoofer in front/rear mode that worked funky instead of dual mono? And why did that graph have a huge dip at 80hz? My raw room measures so much flatter than his corrected results did? And I asked why he didn't attempt to use the manual subwoofer eq? That is what separates yamaha from the crowd. He did answer most of my questions. And then I studied every tool and eq box he used for the test. And I researched his recent regular equipment.

I had hoped he would have measured the room eq using a crossover of 60 and/or 80hz, the dual sub set to dual mono and the manual 4 band sub eq engaged. It didn't happen. He was used to the simplicity of xt32 with no manual eq available. And had a bunch of external eq boxes laying around that he had just reviewed. He also had about 3 different stand alone room measuring kits to use so he didn't even need to use the free rew software.In that situation I can't blame him. Most users don't have all that stuff. It was still the best, most detailed review around.
post #53 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelusa View Post

I found a YouTube video explaining the basics on how to use the free "REW" software plus a couple of hardware pieces. But then I found some posts stating that a USB microphone is all the hardware needed. Since I am new in the matter, would you guide this fellow enthusiast in the right direction? Thanks.
Measuring a room eq is somewhat complicated/tedious no matter the equipment/software used.
I generally only recommend it to buyers of expensive receivers, especially yamaha. This thread fits that scenario.

Steve found some of the room eq wizard links. REW had a dedicated (huge) thread here but originates from home theater shack website.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/
REW thread here
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
setup guide
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
This mic works too and a little cheaper.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...m_campaign=pla

Everything required to measure with rew.
Computer with usb, hdmi and decent sound card. My generic windows laptop works.
A usb measurement mic (less than $100).
A long hdmi cable that reaches from computer to stereo input. The mic usb cable is only about 10' so longer hdmi helps.
Boom style mic stand with adaptor ($30)
A cheap sound (db) meters helps to calibrate true db plot, but not required.
Download the free req software and most recent pdf instructions.
Follow instructions and configure soundcard for this hardware.

Tell req what range of frequencies to measure and what speakers are active (soundcard setting). I use 14hz to 21khz.
Any lower or higher might damage speakers and can't be heard much anyway.
Set receiver to eq mode to be tested. Auto eq on or off. Difference between flat/natural/through/front or any manual eq if used. Or audyssey flat or reference etc.
Always average several mic positions for any result. Just moving the mic one foot can produce drastic changes of amplitude in some frequencies.

Once measurements are completed user can use the results to find the best crossover position, best speaker/subwoofer position, best angle of toe-in,
effects of any room treatments made and most importantly how flat the lower frequencies are. From there additional auto/manual or external eq filtering can be
compared to previous/raw results. REW can send a manual eq adjustment pattern to the minidsp, but not straight to yamaha. It will be some trial and error.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #54 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To wse (OP) I would recommend the 3040 over the 7009. Yamaha still leads the whole bunch for reliability and sound. Get YPAO setup correctly and you will have a AVR that will last for years and out perform most. JMHO.
post #55 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, Yamaha is now back on the consideration list. Since I've got the MiniDSP (2x4), willing to roll up the sleeves and jump down the rabbit hole of manual REQ. Some questions from a potential Yamaha AVR newbie.

(1) What is the maximum output voltage of the LFE output in Vrms? I ask this because the MiniDSP can only take up to 2Vrms - after which it will clip the input. Will I need to gain match?
(2) Mentioned that for sub eq, there's 4 PEQ bands available. Is this independent for each sub channel? I.e. total of 8 bands available for two sub channels?
(3) Each sub PEQ appears to be at 5 fixed frequencies of 31Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz and 70Hz? So I can only select 4 out of the 5 frequencies to adjust for gain and Q?
(4) For the other channels there are 28 fixed frequencies from 31Hz to 16kHz. I'm allowed to choose 6 out of 28 to adjust the gain and Q?
(5) What happens if there is a need to correct for frequencies that do not fall into those fixed points defined by Yamaha? Is there anyway to adjust the fixed frequencies?
(6) How does Yamaha carry out two sub equalization? Does it ping each sub individually to get level and distances correct? Or does it do a combined ping for both subs? Are there separate setting for level and distance for each sub? If the subs are set at non-equal distances from the Main Listening Position (MLP) - how does this work?
(7) Is there an established way to use REW + MiniDSP and the Yamaha? I.e. does one run YPAO first and then followed by REW measurements, then apply the PEQ filters? Are there any settings in YPAO that needs to be configured/disabled before running REW?
(8) What is the crossover roll off (db/octave) that's been implemented in Yamaha?
(9) Are Yamaha's PEQ filters IIR or FIR type?

Sorry for all these noob questions, but YPAO is a big black box for me. Going to download the manual and have a read.
Manual is weak. Glad to help.
#1 Yamaha subwoofer preamp level is normal to low if anything. 2volts is standard and minidsp will work fine. No gain matching needed. Check minidsp thread.
#2 Yamaha 2040 and above does measure dual subs independently to some point. Not exactly sure fine details. I only use one subwoofer and my bass is flat to 19hz.
#3 Yes there are realistically five frequencies to pick from. Only four eq filters on any subwoofer. Pick any of 5 frequencies with adjustable width.
#4 Everything is correct except seven filters on each speaker, not six.
#5 I just listed in another thread today all the frequencies selectable. Not as flexible as most external filter boxes. Still better than most (any other?) receivers.
#6 Those are all valid questions. Ask those questions in the dedicated thread for correct answers.
#7 This is somewhat how I would do it. First measure room with auto eq off. This is selected as through in the parametric eq menu. Then measure listening position with eq flat selected. Then with natural selected. Determine which eq you prefer. Copy either flat or natural to manual eq. Or brave people start from scratch. At that point you have an option. Either use rew results into minidsp or trial and error edit yamaha manual eq with internal 4 band eq or try to perfect the combination of both filters active until room measures pretty smooth and/or flat to your liking.
#8 &9 and beyond. User/poster kriktsemaj99 has written a computer program called peqedit that helps load manual filters in yamaha receivers.
Also the #1 guru on high end yamaha. Find his posts. Looks like you did.
The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1040, RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 AVENTAGE AVR Thread
post #56 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I've read this full short thread.

With KEF LS50 all around I would ask my local dealer to loan me both of those receivers (Marantz 7009 and Yamaha 3040) so that I can find out which one I like more in my room.

* I've read quite a bit about them speakers, and in a multichannel setup, in a smaller room, I would love to give them the best preamplification, and amplification (quality) possible. ...And because your main question resolves around them two receivers, that's what I would do; try them both, because that's the only way to really find out.

I have none personal experience with the KEF LS50 (would love too from my several readings about them),
have none experience with the Marantz 7702 (I'm thinking that's the one for me right now),
and none experience with the Yamaha 3040 (but would love to).

<<>> Hi phantom.
post #57 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 7009 should be out in 2 weeks.
2014 Marantz Lineup
Here is a recent small review.
http://hometheaterreview.com/marantz...-av-receivers/
Crutchfield and amazon have the 3040. $2,000
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FmQz4tE...-RX-A3040.html
post #58 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Sorry, I mentioned the 7702 above; that's the pre/pro. ...Then I can use my own amplification of choice.

* Good quality speakers deserve an attentive touch, IMO, and separates are a good alternative to receivers.
Marantz has some great pre/pros, and so is Yamaha. ...Right now only Marantz and Onkyo/Integra are coming up with pre/pros equipped of Dolby Atmos & Dolby Surround (Upmixer).
I'm sure Yamaha will be replacing the CX-A5000 eventually, with one that will have Dolby Atmos (& Dolby Surround). ...And they'll probably keep its matching multichannel amp.

- Onkyo/Integra pre/pros: AccuEQ now.
- Marantz pre/pros: Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (Platinum version - the best) with Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready (superior).

<<>> This thread is about the SR7009 AV receiver from Marantz and the RX-V3040 AV receiver from Yamaha.
-> Audyssey MultEQ XT32 versus YPAO Auto Room Calibration and EQ system.
And! The 2014 Marantz sound versus the 2014 Yamaha sound. ...Their trade sound signature with their own characteristics...all that jazz.

I love both Yamaha and Marantz products (I own a bunch from past). And I only have personal experience with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
...From Integra (but I won't be getting the new DHC-80.6), and I didn't have my Yamaha RX-Z11 for long enough to experiment with its multitude of parameters and YPAO (sold it for a great profit). ...And besides, I'm into separates now; the heavier the amps the more secure I feel (it's a family thing; it runs deep into our blood). ...Heaviness and security.
post #59 of 93 Old 08-21-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^kikkinet2,

I'll start posting questions about the A3040 and YPAO over at the dedicated thread.

For those who're interested, jdsmoothie advised that SR7009 will be available at the end of this month! Early adopters can now experience what this hype regarding Atmos by pre-ordering the SR7009 from AVS. Contact jdsmoothie for details.

post #60 of 93 Old 08-24-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
So I got the Yamaha to try it out!

I returned the SC-79 to MHF it could not be upgraded to ATMOS

Yamaha is a cool unit but the YPAO sucks in MHO! It takes less than three minutes and gets very thing wrong, speaker distances, sound levels .......

I like the iPad remote, the sound is good but lack a lot of bass! Also I can't do wide speakers rather than front height or DTS NEOX

I will spend a bit more time with Yamaha but I think it might go back as well!

I think I will try the Marantz SR7009 since so many rave about Audyssey and the sound!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page