Yamaha RX-A1040 vs Marantz SR7008 vs Denon X4000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha RX-A1040 vs Marantz SR7008 vs Denon X4000

My current Denon 3312 is starting to fail me. I'm having the issue with the center channel falling in and out with a clicking sound in the receiver. It's becoming more and more common that it happens and It's driving me crazy. Because of this I'm looking into a new unit and have narrowed it down to 3. I'm not very motivated to go back to Denon. I've been a long time Denon user and in the recent years I've had some problems with reliability. Big problem I've had with them has been HDMI video drop out with cable/satellite boxes. Have ran into issues with this with Denon models from the 1900 series all the way up to the 3000 series receivers over the last 3 or 4 years. I've always been a Denon user but maybe it's time for a change.

My setup is a 5.1 system in my living room w/ 2 rooms of audio ran off the zone 2. To be honest, a lot of the bells and whistles with internet connectivity, music streaming & RS232 is not a concern for me. I use a Harmony Touch Ultimate for remote and Sonos Connect for music streaming and both are way more reliable IMO compared to AV Receivers' gimmicky features. Most important thing to me is getting good sound reproduction and power output.

I have it boiled down to the Yamaha RX-A1040, Marantz SR7008 & Denon X4000 (w/ hopes that above problems have been addressed w/ the newer Denon). I have a line on some pretty good pricing on all three of the above through a friend in the industry and for me the Marantz 7008 is $100 more than the Yamaha 1040 and the Denon 4000 is $100 less than the Yamaha.

I'm really leaning towards the Yamaha RX-A1040 strictly bases on people I know in the industry telling me that as far as reliability is concerned, they are tanks and rarely have issues them. But I'm also strongly considering the Marantz because I'd be getting more power per channel. I'm a little concerned w/ Marantz being produced by same manufacturers as Denon and it potentially having the same issues I've experienced w/ Denon. I'm just hopeful that since it's their flagship product that maybe they use some better quality parts in areas it counts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yamaha bias

this may or may not help but.... you mentione dthat you have been told that " Yamaha are like tanks " I can fully substantiate this as I have a Yamaha RXV690 amp & CDC555 CD player circa 1994/95. All are still going very strong with only issue is that a couple of buttons no longer work on the full learning remote. This is almost certainly due to being dropped countless times during parties etc!'

I am only looking to replace this unit because, from its design of roughly 20years ago, it does not have any HDMI or Optical inputs or network capability etc . Due to having experienced absolutely NO PROBLEMS over the past 19 or 20 years, I am only looking at Yamaha and probably the RXA1040 as I don't need 9.2 output. The RXV690 & CD will be semi-retiring into my workshop.

I own and play a Yamaha brass instrument, a Yamaha digital piano and a Yamaha drum kit. Alongside that I have owned several Yamaha motorcycles. I like my toys and I fully expect my toys to always work just whenever I want to play. All the Yamaha's I have do just that!

" Yamaha's are like a tank ' doesn't give it justice, but then maybe I am a little biased

Last edited by brocky; 08-15-2014 at 04:32 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
That Yamaha is a 2014 model with mhl for video streaming from a smartphone and hdmi 2.0 for better future proofing of high resolution video. And a proven reliable 5 year platform. The other 2 are 2013 models and missing both those features.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
That Yamaha is a 2014 model with mhl for video streaming from a smartphone and hdmi 2.0 for better future proofing of high resolution video. And a proven reliable 5 year platform. The other 2 are 2013 models and missing both those features.
I recently purchased the RXA-840 to replace my old Yamaha RX-V unit. I would suggest giving JDsmoothie from AV Science a call. He knows and handles all of the lines you are considering. He will give you the best information and give you a great price on the receiver of your choice as well.

Best of luck.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 02:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Your past experience with your Denon units is not typical. Both the Marantz SR7008 (not a flagship model btw) and the Denon X4000 use the more advanced Audyssey XT32 so more likely better audio quality than the YPAO on the 1040.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the latest yamaha aventage still have the bright sound ?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by traianescu View Post
the latest yamaha aventage still have the bright sound ?
This sort of thing is an old myth that definitely doesn't apply to modern day receivers. That said, these receivers will sound different because of the room correction they use. I would have to go with the X4000 as I prefer Audyssey to YPAO, but the 1040 is a nice unit too.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 AM

i had x4000, harsh sound, sibilants, even with kef r500
post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Did you run Audyssey using a camera tripod or better yet a mic boom stand with all 8 mic positions focused within 1-2' of the main listening position only? Were your front speakers toed in?

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-16-2014 at 05:17 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Did you run Audyssey using a camera tripod or better yet a mic boom stand with all 8 mic positions focused within 1-2' of the main listening position only? Were your front speakers toed in?

yes, tripod camera and the speakers a few degrees toed in
i hope rx-a2040 or mrx510 are less bright
post #11 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 AM
585-645-1006

^^

The below item in the Audyssey FAQ specifically addresses speaker harshness ...

post #12 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser99er View Post
My current Denon 3312 is starting to fail me. I'm having the issue with the center channel falling in and out with a clicking sound in the receiver. It's becoming more and more common that it happens and It's driving me crazy. Because of this I'm looking into a new unit and have narrowed it down to 3. I'm not very motivated to go back to Denon. I've been a long time Denon user and in the recent years I've had some problems with reliability. Big problem I've had with them has been HDMI video drop out with cable/satellite boxes. Have ran into issues with this with Denon models from the 1900 series all the way up to the 3000 series receivers over the last 3 or 4 years. I've always been a Denon user but maybe it's time for a change.

My setup is a 5.1 system in my living room w/ 2 rooms of audio ran off the zone 2. To be honest, a lot of the bells and whistles with internet connectivity, music streaming & RS232 is not a concern for me. I use a Harmony Touch Ultimate for remote and Sonos Connect for music streaming and both are way more reliable IMO compared to AV Receivers' gimmicky features. Most important thing to me is getting good sound reproduction and power output.

I have it boiled down to the Yamaha RX-A1040, Marantz SR7008 & Denon X4000 (w/ hopes that above problems have been addressed w/ the newer Denon). I have a line on some pretty good pricing on all three of the above through a friend in the industry and for me the Marantz 7008 is $100 more than the Yamaha 1040 and the Denon 4000 is $100 less than the Yamaha.

I'm really leaning towards the Yamaha RX-A1040 strictly bases on people I know in the industry telling me that as far as reliability is concerned, they are tanks and rarely have issues them. But I'm also strongly considering the Marantz because I'd be getting more power per channel. I'm a little concerned w/ Marantz being produced by same manufacturers as Denon and it potentially having the same issues I've experienced w/ Denon. I'm just hopeful that since it's their flagship product that maybe they use some better quality parts in areas it counts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I would consider the new Denon AVR-X4100 as it comes with Dolby Atmos functionality.

FWIW, I've had the Denon AVR-3313 since late 2012 and have had no problems with it. Excellent bit of kit and quite reliable.

Functionality and reliability enhancements by Denon for 2012 model year appear to have solved the reliability problems of previous years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Marantz , receiver , Yamaha

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page