post #1 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Listening to music off of S4 phone

Hi,

I have a Denon 2112 AVR. I used to have an Iphone and that worked nicely to plug it into the USB on the front of the Denon receiver. Quality of the music was good and so was the volume. I now have an S4 Samsung phone. I tried plugging it into the USB like I did with my Iphone, but it won't play. So, I have resorted to plugging it into the RCA inputs on the front of the receiver instead. Quality seems decent still, but it seems like its a lot quieter. For example, the radio tuner is much louder at the same volume than the phone's music through the RCAs all else equal.

What is the best way to listen to my music from my phone through the Denon 2112? What are others doing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
You can change the source level for each input on your Denon AVR

Go into the setup menu
Select Input Setup
Then Source Level

You can take it all the way up to +12 if you need to.

Adjust it to be as loud as the tuners volume.

Afro GT
post #3 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post
For example, the radio tuner is much louder at the same volume than the phone's music through the RCAs all else equal.
Hi mgrotel, try turning up the volume on the phone.
post #4 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When I am in V.AUX mode, it will not let me even pull up the setup menu. I have never messed with the different input volumes, so each one is set to zero (that I can access anyway). When I am in tuner mode, source volume is set to zero. When I am in V.AUX mode, for playing from my phone, I cannot even pull up that initial menu when I push the MENU button. Any other ideas?

I messed with the phone EQ some and it sounds the best in 'normal' mode on the phone. And yes, I have the phone's volume maxxed out.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You have to have a USB OTG cable ( $10 @ Amazon ), the USB audio driver, and a music player that supports the driver. This cable just turns your S4 USB port into a USB Host port. In addition to being able to do USB audio, you can also use the cable to connect external hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc.

*** This is IF you want to pass 24-bit audio to a DAC that is connected to your receiver. ***

I don't have an S4, but I have relatives that do. My device has a native USB Host built in, so I just need the driver and software.

If you just want to STREAM your music to the receiver, then all you should need is the regular USB cable connected to the receiver and the AirAudio app from GooglePlay store. It is free, so it wouldn't hurt to install it on your phone and give it a go.

In the good old days before I was fully net-connected, I used to use NET/USB to access music from external USB devices. Now I just send everything to the Oppo BD player since that allows me to plug in external drives and access media on my computer systems as well.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )

Last edited by jevans64; 08-14-2014 at 08:30 PM.
post #6 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
You have to have a USB OTG cable ( $10 @ Amazon ), the USB audio driver, and a music player that supports the driver. This cable just turns your S4 USB port into a USB Host port. In addition to being able to do USB audio, you can also use the cable to connect external hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc.

I don't have an S4, but I have relatives that do. My device has a native USB Host built in, so I just need the driver and software.
So to use the USB on the Denon 2112 with my S4 to play music, I would need a cable, some audio driver (for the phone or AVR?), and some different music player on my phone?

I wish I could adjust the input volume on the V.AUX input, which sounds much easier.
post #7 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is very simple. After you press the V.Aux button on the remote, press the AMP button which is between the CH buttons and VOL buttons in the middle of the remote.

Then you can go into the setup menu and make your adjustments.

Works on my AVR 591 so I'm sure it'll work on your 2112.

Afro GT
post #8 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
It is very simple. After you press the V.Aux button on the remote, press the AMP button which is between the CH buttons and VOL buttons in the middle of the remote.

Then you can go into the setup menu and make your adjustments.

Works on my AVR 591 so I'm sure it'll work on your 2112.
This is weird, the AMP button does nothing for me in any mode. At least with the MENU button I can adjust the input volumes in some modes, but not V.AUX.

It is a refurbished unit but has worked well otherwise. Weird.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I mean, if I want to listen to it loud, sometimes I find myself with the MV at +5 and still wanting more. And that is with some very efficient Klipsch speakers.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Find that hard to believe it doesn't work. Select V.Aux input. Then AMP, then MENU

Okay try this.

Press the Source Select button. Toggle over to V.Aux. Press Enter. Then press Menu button. The on screen display should come on. then adjust your settings.

Afro GT
post #11 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Find that hard to believe it doesn't work. Select V.Aux input. Then AMP, then MENU
Ok, I am an idiot. I thought when you posted this the first time that after I hit AMP the menu would just come up. I didn't realize I still needed to select MENU after hitting AMP. When I did exactly as you said in the quote, it worked, thank you very much. Wonder why it wouldn't work before when the other channels worked though. Hmmm. I feel like I am getting old and can't figure these things out anymore. Ugh!
post #12 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked...enjoy!

Afro GT
post #13 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
This is weird, the AMP button does nothing for me in any mode. At least with the MENU button I can adjust the input volumes in some modes, but not V.AUX.
Connecting analog from the phone to receiver is using the dac in the phone. Better sound quality using usb (digital) from phone to receiver. The phone needs the free app. The stereo can't have apps downloaded into it. For a $10 cable the improved and louder sound is worth it.
post #14 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Connecting analog from the phone to receiver is using the dac in the phone. Better sound quality using usb (digital) from phone to receiver. The phone needs the free app. The stereo can't have apps downloaded into it. For a $10 cable the improved and louder sound is worth it.
I see. I do remember the USB having better quality. Do you have a link to the cable I need, either amazon or radio shack or something? And what is the app called? That's it then right?

Thanks
post #15 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This stuff is complicated LOL
post #16 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
According to Air Audio site your have to "root" your Android phone first, so it is not quite as simple as just plugging in a cable.

Quote:
ROOT-access required
To use the 'system-mode' and stream the audio-signals of other applications, a 'rooted' device is required!
Android doesn't allow it by nature to get the audio-data of other applications. Therefor a root-access is essential.

Please have a look on http://www.androidcentral.com/root for details about how to root your device, or contact us in case of questions or if you need further help!

Afro GT
post #17 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guess I should have stayed with the apple phone
post #18 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Guess I should have stayed with the apple phone
Possibly, at least for the support Denon gives it for audio streaming. I have no idea why Google/Android is sitting on their hands concerning USB Class 2 audio support. It has been a highly-requested feature for several years now. I bet the RIAA doesn't want billions of phones able to stream 24bit audio.

If all you have are compressed mp3 and 16bit/48kHz files, I wouldn't bother with trying to make a USB connection with audio support. That $10 cable I mentioned should turn your phone into a mass storage device. You MIGHT be able to access your content on the phone like you would a USB stick but not sure how good the built-in DLNA support is on the newer Denon receivers. I know it was just a simple navigation menu for the Denon AVR I have.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #19 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
According to Air Audio site your have to "root" your Android phone first, so it is not quite as simple as just plugging in a cable.
Yea I blew it. USB connection has to be a drive formatted with fat32. A galaxy s4 phone will playback using wireless streaming. The receiver must be connected with a network cable and phone on the wifi network. The free app to stream music is bubbleupnp. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bbleupnp&hl=en Similar to airplay.
post #20 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is the best way to listen to my music from my phone through the Denon 2112? What are others doing? Thanks
Server mode using that bubbleupnp works using wifi streaming from my s4. Don't have my denon hooked up right now.
Here is a picture of my similar featured yamaha detecting the music using that free app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140816_045500[1].jpg
Views:	10
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	214825  
post #21 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Server mode using that bubbleupnp works using wifi streaming from my s4. Don't have my denon hooked up right now.
Here is a picture of my similar featured yamaha detecting the music using that free app.
Sweet. I'll give it a shot. What mode do I need to have the denon in?
Thanks for the help.
post #22 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It works! Thanks.
Last question. Is there anyway to play the Pandora app through this as well?
post #23 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It works! Thanks. Last question. Is there anyway to play the Pandora app through this as well?
Pandora is built into the receiver. You shouldn't even need the phone for that. Page 39 of manual.
I don't use Pandora because it didn't sound very good. I pretty much stream mp3 from windows computer to receiver using iTunes airplay.
I don't normally stream from my phone. I had tried it once and knew it worked (if you have a router).

If no internet copy songs to a 32gb or smaller memory stick with fat32 format works good and sounds better than analog.
Either streaming from phone or usb stick should play in zone 2 also. The phone could probably stream from Pandora.
No need so I never tried it. Just press the net/usb button and arrow up or down. It should cycle through all the source options including Pandora.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh yea, duh, thanks!
The quality is definitely better. I had to run the bass so hot with the analog input and now it sounds good again, not just the bass but overall sound. Only that would make it better is if I could control from my phone wirelessly, but that might be asking too much. lol
post #25 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh yea, duh, thanks!
The quality is definitely better. I had to run the bass so hot with the analog input and now it sounds good again, not just the bass but overall sound. Only that would make it better is if I could control from my phone wirelessly, but that might be asking too much. lol
Control what from the phone? You can download an app to the phone that controls the receiver from anywhere.
S4 is a powerful phone/computer. Again I don't use my phone for that though. Happy to hear the sound quality improved.
post #26 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Control what from the phone? You can download an app to the phone that controls the receiver from anywhere.
S4 is a powerful phone/computer. Again I don't use my phone for that though. Happy to hear the sound quality improved.
Is there a specific app you recommend for that? Maybe not since you don't use it for that.
post #27 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a specific app you recommend for that? Maybe not since you don't use it for that.
I read your mind. Here it is. (Never used it).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emoteapp&hl=en
post #28 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BubbleUPnP works great.

Using Media Server on receiver it saw my Galaxy S3 and I could navigate and play songs with no problem.

Even better, using the Android AVR Remote app on my S3 I could control everything from my phone.

AVR Remote is better than the actual Denon app. Download that one instead.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vrremote&hl=en

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 08-16-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #29 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Afrogt is my mentor. Take his advice. I use my phone mainly for camera and texting.
I would like to get a tablet to control my stereo and sources. 5" screen too small for me. (Remote controls everywhere).
post #30 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
BubbleUPnP works great.

Using Media Server on receiver it saw my Galaxy S3 and I could navigate and play songs with no problem.

Even better, using the Android AVR Remote app on my S3 I could control everything from my phone.

AVR Remote is better than the actual Denon app. Download that one instead.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vrremote&hl=en
I am liking that app. Thanks to the both of you for taking the time to help me out. I might be entertaining so guests tonight and this will make it much easier to navigate and have quality sound. You guys are awesome!

Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page