3Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
You didn't mention any HDMI inputs. You're okay with leaving those out?
Yes. Also no analog video or audio inputs.

Quote:
and how much is your low cost limit?
$300 (though I suppose this depends on amp power...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding HDMI inputs to AV equipment? Why not build a time machine while you're at it!

You're lecturing on Auto, Food, and CE industries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Lets keep the discussion on track with CE products instead of autos and/or fashion..

Uh huh.

Can you imagine if some dept. head spoke up at a sales meeting and said:

"We're working up a proposal to take our HTiB chassis, which already drives 2.1 or 5.1 sound, and adding 3 HDMI inputs to the I/O plate.

We may or may not yank the Blu-ray drive. We'll keep the Bluetooth and wifi. We'll market it as an entry-level HTiB with the segment differentiation that it has multiple HDMI inputs.

This way people who want to:
1.) Tie their DVD, DVR, and gaming system together,
2.) Stream music, movie, photo files from their phones or NAS via Bluetooth or LAN,
3.) Have better-than-TV-speakers sound,
4.) Universal remote control for volume and source switching,
5.) And then have just 1 HDMI Out cable to run up through their wall to their wall-mount TV,
will have the solution they've been looking for at a reasonable pricepoint. We'll probably sell a trillion units because every man, woman, child, and dog on the planet will buy 500 of them."

Except for the optimistic sales projections, I doubt anyone would crap their pants for sheer boldness and radicality of adding 3 HDMI inputs to a HTiB. This isn't the Edsel. It isn't New Coke. it's 3 inputs added to an AV component chassis and marketing it at a HTiB pricepoint.

But then I'm just some turnip fresh off the truck who couldn't imagine what a corporate marketing strategy meeting entails.*
post #33 of 40 Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I probably shouldn't ask, but if (a) companies can engineer the slimline model at the low price you suggest and (b) there's a large market for such a device, why isn't it widely available?
post #34 of 40 Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralWaves View Post
Can you imagine if some dept. head spoke up at a sales meeting and said:

"We're working up a proposal to take our HTiB chassis, which already drives 2.1 or 5.1 sound, and adding 3 HDMI inputs to the I/O plate.

We may or may not yank the Blu-ray drive. We'll keep the Bluetooth and wifi. We'll market it as an entry-level HTiB with the segment differentiation that it has multiple HDMI inputs.

This way people who want to:
1.) Tie their DVD, DVR, and gaming system together,
2.) Stream music, movie, photo files from their phones or NAS via Bluetooth or LAN,
3.) Have better-than-TV-speakers sound,
4.) Universal remote control for volume and source switching,
5.) And then have just 1 HDMI Out cable to run up through their wall to their wall-mount TV,
will have the solution they've been looking for at a reasonable pricepoint. We'll probably sell a trillion units because every man, woman, child, and dog on the planet will buy 500 of them."

Except for the optimistic sales projections, I doubt anyone would crap their pants for sheer boldness and radicality of adding 3 HDMI inputs to a HTiB. This isn't the Edsel. It isn't New Coke. it's 3 inputs added to an AV component chassis and marketing it at a HTiB pricepoint.

But then I'm just some turnip fresh off the truck who couldn't imagine what a corporate marketing strategy meeting entails.*
As an experienced, product development leader we are well aware of available components, respective material costs, labor costs, royalties and factory overhead costs..

Also as a responsible corporate executive, we know well our client's minimum profit margin requirements. And as I posted previously, your listed features @ the $199 (SRP) is ridiculous...
Your target product will go no further than the last stall in the men's room.
Perhaps a tuneup and/or overhaul is required for your turnip truck...

Just my $0.03...
post #35 of 40 Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Since we chair marketing/product strategy meetings with (2) major clients whose CE sales exceed $2.8 billion..
Hey, that's just like how I regularly sprout wings and fly to the moon because the (7)-Eleven there makes the best Slurpees.

Quote:
Also as a responsible corporate executive,
Lemme finish that sentence for you:

"As a responsible corporate executive, I pose as a know-it-all on internet forums several hours a day every day. I get paid the Big Bucks to bloviate about how 1960s AV technology is the only financially viable consumer electronics product. hmm... Note to self: I deserve a raise. hmm again... Note to self number 2: Keep typing capital "U" in place of "You" in all Hi-Powered Billion-Dollar Corporate Strategy Partners email correspondence."

Quote:
...your listed features @ the $199 (SRP) is ridiculous...
Of course. A HTiB that currently retails for $150, take out the expense of the DVD drive (or leave it in), add in 3 HDMI inputs, charge $200... INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

IT WOULD NEVER WORK!!!!!!!!!!!1111

ZOMG!!!!!!! *head...sploding mind...blowing earth...shattering*

(PS: This product is already on the market at this pricepoint. See thread starter post for link).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Missing.png
Views:	14
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	217161  
post #36 of 40 Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Rural Waves, what you fail to understand is that I am willing to bet less than 1% of US households have anything other than their TV speakers as their sounds system. That is all they really care about. Even if you advertised that "Awesome, everybody and their dog wants one, do-everything slimline reciever" for $200, most people still wont want it. It has wires. Yucch. It has speaker boxes. Yucchh. It adds another remote, which even if universal, will inevitably NOT do something you need it to, so you still need the original remotes reasonably at hand.Double-Yucch.
If there was large, profitable market for it, it would be made. The one that IS on the market, is being closed-out at K-mart. Why? Because it sold millions and millions of units?
post #37 of 40 Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Rural Waves,

Have you purchased the Netboxx yet? It seems like it has everything you want, what are you waiting for?

If it doesn't meet your needs it is easy enough to return since its Walmart.

Here is a review of the Netboxx receiver from 2010. Of course it was a MSRP $649 device at the time. The Walmart pricing is obviously clearance/discontinued.
http://hometheaterreview.com/sherwoo...boxx-reviewed/

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 08-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #38 of 40 Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Rural Waves,

Have you purchased the Netboxx yet? It seems like it has everything you want, what are you waiting for?

If it doesn't meet your needs it is easy enough to return since its Walmart.

Here is a review of the Netboxx receiver from 2010. Of course it was a MSRP $649 device at the time. The Walmart pricing is obviously clearance/discontinued.
http://hometheaterreview.com/sherwoo...boxx-reviewed/
I don't think he will be buying anything...just here to
Vent.
post #39 of 40 Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I made a purchase several days before you wrote your comment. It has the HDMI input switching and 5.1 speakers I wanted. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for your concern. The Market Has Spoken.

ETA: NASA nor DARPA had to get involved for me to find a slimline box with multi-HDMI input switching and driving 5.1 speakers for less than $250. Perhaps it's not as unattainable a product solution as you all whinged and wept about.

Last edited by RuralWaves; 08-23-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: To point out that NASA nor DARPA had to get involved.
post #40 of 40 Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Congrats! You should write a review about your purchase so that others in your situation know that there is something out there available to them.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
hdmi , receiver , slim , slimline , wmc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page