Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amp upgrade option, best bang/$

Hi all,

I was a bit of a newbie (and still am compared to you all) when I put my theater room together last fall so I ended up shorting myself on the amp side. I have my current specs listed below. What happened is I bought a receiver that supports 110W but my 7 speakers are up to 200W each. So the result is that in order to achieve ideal movie listening, i have to crank the volume all the way up to 80% on the receiver.

My question is, what are my options other than buying a new expensive receiver to get more amps to the speakers so I do not have to red line my receiver? aka....best bank for my buck! Do not have a lot of money.

Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance!

Marantz SR6008
Power Output 110W (0.08% @ 8 Ohm), 150W (0.7% @ 6 Ohm)
S/N Ratio 100dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Freq. Response (Dig In) No

MonoPrice Speakers
8 Inches Kevlar 3-Way High Power In-Wall Speaker (Pair) - 100W Nominal, 200W Max
Model HSQ-8425

5-1/4 Inches Center Channel Micro-Flanged In-Wall Speaker - 8 Ohm
Model MC-5N(8M)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I bet your Monoprice speakers are 200W peak, I don't think they're meant to be pushed at 200W continuous. With a sensitivity of 90db they shouldn't be that hard to drive. How big is your room?

The difference between 110W and 200W is 3db.

If you have a Guitar Center close by try getting one the Crown X1000 Amps that are on sale for $99. They're going fast though so hurry.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crown-X1...odf2gAAw&nce=1

Or buy 3 Crown amps if you think you need them for the surrounds too.

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 151
unless you hear distortion you don't need amps. More power = louder. The corollary is that at less than "loudest possible level," you don't use full rated power, which is about heat failure, anyway, not about how much power the speakers can use and still stay accurate/linear.

I, like many around here, listen well below reference level, so I use less than a watt for average levels, and probably less than 50 watts for loud peaks (especially given that I have a sub and use bass management). My speakers just don't give a crap whether the 50 watts come from a 100 watt receiver or a 1000 watt outboard amp. Ohm's law prevents the watts from being different . . . .and my speakers can't see or smell or feel or taste whether there's more power in reserve than they are using, nor do they have a cerebral cortex to allow them to care, even if they could sense the difference somehow.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page