Headphone Jack Broken on 2113CI -- Any options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Headphone Jack Broken on 2113CI -- Any options?

So, for some reason, my right channel from the headphone out isn't getting any sound. Different headphones show the same problem. So now I'm faced with the following options:
1. Pay for repair.
2. Figure out some clever way to get a signal to my headphones. I'll take any option: adapters, splitters, etc...

I've been thinking about using the zone 2 out to accomplish this, but it seems like that doesn't work with *any* digital inputs (*facepalm*). I've also been trying HDMI/audio passthru to my TV (which would enable me to plug my headphones into the TV), but that also doesn't seem to work.

So I guess my only low-cost option is to buy an HDMI/Audio splitter and plug it directly into the source and plug my headphones into that. Of course, this will be very tedious because I'd have to do the same thing over and over again when I move to different HDMI sources. Anyone have ideas?

I also only use 5.1 sound, so maybe there's a way to leverage the additional free two channels somehow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
The unit has a 3 year warranty if purchased new from an authorized dealer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... Unfortunately, I got it brand new on Ebay. Seller wasn't on the "authorized dealer" list. I didn't realize that the whole "warranty" thing had an asterisk... So I'm hoping there's a workaround.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

In case anyone else runs into this problem, I've figured a solution:
1. Configure HDMI passthrough to that the source is "Last" and HDMI control is on (see HDMI Passthrough (Video + Audio) with Denon 2113)
2. Choose the source you want to listen to with your headphones and make sure everything is playing properly on your stereo.
3. Turn off the receiver.
4. Unfortunately, I didn't have a TV with a headphone out (otherwise I'd be set at this point), so I needed a HDMI audio extractor to pull the HDMI audio from the receiver to the TV. After getting the "ViewHD audio extractor," I expect I'll be good to go.

As an alternative, you can use the "Zone 2" capabilities combined with a headphone preamp, but that only works with analog audio inputs for some reason.

Last edited by constrapolator; 08-16-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Clarify step 4.

Tags
2113ci