Surge Protectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arnyk

post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Surge Protectors?

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a system with Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-5, and Samsung PN64F8500. Do I need to get a surge protector and if so what do you recommend? Does it need to be hi end with stage 3-4 protection or anything like that or can it be a simple one (with adequate joules rating)?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a system with Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-5, and Samsung PN64F8500. Do I need to get a surge protector and if so what do you recommend? Does it need to be hi end with stage 3-4 protection or anything like that or can it be a simple one (with adequate joules rating)?
If you have problems with power line surges you probably already know it for sure, due to the stack of burnt out gear that you've had to dispose of.

If you have problems with surges, then your best solution is a whole-house surge protector which is typically installed by a professional electrician.
htpcforever likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
If you have problems with power line surges you probably already know it for sure, due to the stack of burnt out gear that you've had to dispose of.

If you have problems with surges, then your best solution is a whole-house surge protector which is typically installed by a professional electrician.
Thanks for the response. I've just moved into my new house and I don't really know if it's prone to surges or not. In fact the house was built in 1959 so I need to find out if it is even grounded at all! If not, I'll have to upgrade it and probably get a new power box as well. Can you tell me more about this whole house surge protector? I'm unaware of that. Any links to buying one?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsfield View Post
Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about the APC they mentioned in there and also this Tripp Lite --

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HT1...ywords=HT10DBS

It's about $70 online.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about the APC they mentioned in there and also this Tripp Lite --

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HT1...ywords=HT10DBS

It's about $70 online.
Spending extra cash on a surge protector is = to unnecessary $ spent on exotic cables
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

+1

Cost me $160 installed.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I was an electrician in a previous life, so I installed my whole house surge protector myself. Cost $65 for the protector alone, $160 installed is not a bad deal at all.

I also have APC UPSs for all my PCs, my networking gear, my Ceton Eth tuner, my AVR, and my projector. It makes me feel better knowing that I not only have surge protection, but brown out protection as well. Brown outs can do some serious damage as the equipment starts to turn off due to low power but then suddenly has all its power back. It also allows my HTPC (and other PCs) to power down gracefully - making Windows very happy.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I was an electrician in a previous life, so I installed my whole house surge protector myself. Cost $65 for the protector alone, $160 installed is not a bad deal at all.

I also have APC UPSs for all my PCs, my networking gear, my Ceton Eth tuner, my AVR, and my projector. It makes me feel better knowing that I not only have surge protection, but brown out protection as well. Brown outs can do some serious damage as the equipment starts to turn off due to low power but then suddenly has all its power back. It also allows my HTPC (and other PCs) to power down gracefully - making Windows very happy.
So this means you recommend getting the whole house surge protector AND also getting a separate surge protector for the outlet to my A/V gear?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Spending extra cash on a surge protector is = to unnecessary $ spent on exotic cables
Not true at all. Not even close. Not a valid comparison in the least.

Several years ago a transformer blew on top of the pole across the street from our court. My TV, cable box, and receiver were plugged into a $40 Tripp Lite surge protector. Not top of the line by any means. The Tripp Lite fried. Burned to a crisp. Turned completely black...but did its job. The small stereo in the rec room was plugged directly into the wall, and was ruined.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #11 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Surge protection is mainly piece-of-mind for me rather than a necessity. A relative just took a lightning strike and lost a whole lot of electronics but they used cheap Belkin power strips rather than better surge protectors.

I'd get the APC Surgearrest for the amp and TV and either plug the amps directly to the wall or get Emotiva's high-current CMX-2 or 6 for them.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
So this means you recommend getting the whole house surge protector AND also getting a separate surge protector for the outlet to my A/V gear?
I would. The whole house SHOULD protect your entire house...but what if the lightning strikes a tree in the back yard and the electricity enters the house from someplace other than the main line? A two layer approach is what I recommend. It is also a "buy it once, have it forever" type of expense, so why not do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page