Denon AVR 3808CI - Best Streaming options? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Denon AVR 3808CI - Best Streaming options?

I wanted to get back on this older Denon which I really like. However, I have somewhat a difficulty to make it streaming friendly. Ideally, I want to be able to stream Alac & Flac formats in addition to mp3 and being able easily to browse through a big library. I am wondering if someone can share the knowledge about the best today's options we can have.

I also did not find a good iPhone app for this model. Modern Denon's app seems do not support it. Is that available?

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
DenONOFF and DeRemote apps both work with the 3808CI. Also streaming FLAC should work, although not sure about ALAC.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try them more. It did not work well for me before. In addition, the browsing experience through collection of music files is very poor. In addition, it does not provide AirPlay capability. I hope there is something better.

It seems like I will be OK with AirPlay if I'll add Apple TV. However, it does not provide DNLA support and I heard it will not play FLAC format. As a result, I am looking for a solution that can cover both (AirPlay and DNLA). Is that achievable?

Last edited by vladc77; 08-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Did anyone try Plex with this Denon? Was this a good experience? Thank you.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladc77 View Post
In addition, it does not provide AirPlay capability. I hope there is something better.

It seems like I will be OK with AirPlay if I'll add Apple TV.
The AVR-3808ci came out long before Airplay did. I have an AppleTV connected to my 3808ci and it plays fine. I use my iPhone with the AppleTV and the Airplay feature works well as does the mirroring feature. I have not tried streaming any hi-rez files through the AppleTV though so can't help you there.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! It seems like Apple TV is good option but I have a few concerns about it. First, it does convert hi Rez audio files to lower output which is still good quality but with the loss. I wanted to try to use something that outputs the original quality. Secondly, I also want to be able to use DNLA. Apply TV will only allow AirPlay. Finally, it seems like that using Plex can be for free without a need to spend money for Apple TV. I just need Media Server which I have. Not sure if I am getting all correctly. This is my assumption at this moment.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
Although the Plex Media Server software may be free, using Plex requires a paid subscription ($4/month, $30/year or $75/lifetime). Additionally, AFAIK, to play iTunes files you would have to use DRM protection removal software which will run you another $50 or so.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am wondering if I am trying to achieve that it is not possible.

I installed Plex Media Server to try streaming DivX movies and FLAC & ALAC audio files. At this moment, I store all of media on PC. I can access these files and successfully play FLAC audio files and only one ALAC file so far. The rest of ALAC audio and all DivX video files cannot be played. Thye folder with these files marked as (Not PLay). I can navigate to them but not play. All of these files can be played successfully by Plex on computer.

I am wondering if someone can advice what should be done in order to be able to play these video and audio files. I hope it is possible. I also tested it with Windows Media Player and result the same. Many thanks in advance!
post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Although the Plex Media Server software may be free, using Plex requires a paid subscription ($4/month, $30/year or $75/lifetime). Additionally, AFAIK, to play iTunes files you would have to use DRM protection removal software which will run you another $50 or so.
Wait, what?

I've been using Plex since 2010 and the only thing I ever paid for was the app for my phone. Is this new? Am I getting away with something?

Also, isn't iTunes DRM-free now? Or is that something required to use the receiver?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
1. Don't know. Perhaps the paid subscriptions are only required if the additional features are wanted.
2. AFAIK, only iTunes Plus downloads are DRM free.

--------

post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladc77 View Post
I am wondering if I am trying to achieve that it is not possible.

I installed Plex Media Server to try streaming DivX movies and FLAC & ALAC audio files. At this moment, I store all of media on PC. I can access these files and successfully play FLAC audio files and only one ALAC file so far. The rest of ALAC audio and all DivX video files cannot be played. Thye folder with these files marked as (Not PLay). I can navigate to them but not play. All of these files can be played successfully by Plex on computer.

I am wondering if someone can advice what should be done in order to be able to play these video and audio files. I hope it is possible. I also tested it with Windows Media Player and result the same. Many thanks in advance!
I am still do not find a solution. I am wondering it someone can share the knowledge. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , denon avr 3808ci , dnla , streaming audio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page