Simple question about HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Simple question about HDMI

I have a 2007 Sony receiver with a small number of HDMI inputs/outputs (2/1). On this receiver, if you put HDMI into the receiver and out to the TV, the sound only goes to the TV. I have a component system and like to listen to the TV shows on my 5.1 surround setup. Sometimes on the TV speakers, at night when I don't want to keep my family awake. Anyway, with the old receiver I connected digital coax and optical from my cable box and blue-ray player so I could get the sound over my amp.

Having blue-ray player troubles, and got a new one. It doesn't have any audio output
except thru the HDMI. So, I can't do that bypass now. Here's the basic question: is this behavior of my 2007 receiver normal? If I buy a new receiver, can I put an HDMI into it from my other components, and get sound out of both the tv speakers and the system speakers? Or do I have to go find a new Blue-ray player with more outputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Back in 2007 it was not uncommon for inexpensive receivers to just be HDMI switchers, requiring a separate audio connection to get sound to the speakers. These days, all AVRs can process sound from HDMI inputs. So,a new AVR would seem to be in order. Or, return the new player and get one with a coax or optical output.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Question receiver recommendation?

My 2007 receiver is a Sony for which I paid $400. It is 5.1 and I have been extremely happy with it. I have a lot of inputs (Blue-ray, VCR, casette, cable box) and a 5.1
speaker setup with auxillary in another room. Sometimes I use the TV speakers.
Would another Sony be a good choice in this sort of price range? The TV is a Panasonic.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Question HDMI output

If the HDMI output is sent to the TV, does this mean that the receiver itself will not play the sound on speakers that are connected to it...on a modern receiver? I have been doing some looking around, and it appears this may be true, at least for Sony.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
For best audio quality don't send audio through the tv. Connect all sources to the receiver with only 1 hdmi cable from receiver to tv. Audio can be passed both directions along that last hdmi cable using arc (audio return channel). Audio can be passed through the receiver to tv with receiver on or off (standby passthrough). Get a new receiver. Sony isn't known as the best brand around these days. Expand your research. Normally pick either tv or stereo speakers.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Or, get a player with a coax or optical output for audio. That would be a cheaper way to go.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melott View Post
If the HDMI output is sent to the TV, does this mean that the receiver itself will not play the sound on speakers that are connected to it...on a modern receiver? I have been doing some looking around, and it appears this may be true, at least for Sony.
You have to send audio to the receiver somehow. Yours doesn't process audio over HDMI, so you need some other sort of connection.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Arrow

I understand now. Thanks to everyone. I am getting another blu-ray player as the expeditious cheap solution. But I have to look beyond this. OK, so Sony isn't the good mid-level stuff now. What are the good brands for the $300 to $700 price range? Need lots of inputs--including a phono jack!!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There's a small chance that your TV can pass through Dolby Digital and DTS from HDMI to optical out. In that case, all you would need to do is connect an optical cable and configure the TV to pass the raw audio. Most TVs can't do this, however - you only get PCM (two channels) out, except when using the TV tuner.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic TVs do not pass through encoded audio from HDMI inputs. At least, I've never seen one that does.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page