Onkyo SR606 - PS3 PCM incredibly quiet vs super loud DD+? WTF? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Onkyo SR606 - PS3 PCM incredibly quiet vs super loud DD+? WTF?

Hey, people.

I've been searching for hours and hours about this...finally I said "screw it." So I signed up here and figured I'd just make my own post and try to cut through all the BS. haha

Here we go:

My PS3 (latest version, super slim 2014) is hooked via HDMI to my Onkyo SR606 (yes, I know it's old...upgrades are happening...but for now...)... Up until today when I finally ran the Audyssey 2EQ setup properly, everything played bright and loud. No matter what I watched, everything was strong (unbalanced, but strong).

So here's the deal... When I go on to Netflix in the PS3 and watch a movie that is encoded DD+ 5.1, the sound is incredible! Loud, full, and now, balanced. (Shows testing with: Cosmos & The Killing) BUT...once I switch to a regular non-5.1 movie (see: the movie Flight), it switches to PCM...and I can BARELY HEAR IT! I mean, we're talking at LEAST 25db quieter than the DD+ content.

I tested the PCM output on the Vudu app, it may be a little bit louder...but I might also be going bonkers. Regardless...PCM sucks horribly from the PS3 compared to the DD+.

So, geniuses. What setting do I have wrong?

As for my PS3 settings: I have absolutely everything under the sun selected under the manual setup for my HDMI audio settings. My PS3 is outputting bitstream ('cause why transcode what you don't have to?). My Onkyo listening presets for this source are all set to Direct.

Sooo.... Now what? Lemme know if you want pictures of my settings for everything. I'll hook it up first thing tomorrow.

So frustrated,
-=R=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I tested the PCM output from my Roku 3 on my Onkyo just now...same results.

So...I'm guessing it's either Netflix or the Onkyo.... or my massive headache and lack of sleep.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nudge.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Netflix is a lot louder than everything else at my home. I'm guessing Netflix cranks the volume up to 10. My solution is to turn down the volume when watching netflix compared to everything else. It seems to work fine.

Tags
Onkyo , pcm , ps3 , quiet , sr606
Gear in this thread - sr606 by PriceGrabber.com