Help needed with receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help needed with receiver

So i just purchased a set of JBL 180 floorstanding speakers, i am clueless on this kind of this so i am going to ask here. what would be an ideal receiver for me??

Info: Budget 150-250$(trying to get by cheaper with some good quailty
Plans: will be used for home stereo and when i watch TV/Games. Mainly a home stereo though. Plan to later on add a 10 inch woofer and maybe a center speaker.

Room setup: irrelevant as my job requires me to move every 6 months so it will change quite often

any advice would be awesome you guys, i got these speakers on sale for 89$ from 350 each so i figured its about time i put me together something that sounds better then a ipod dock which is what i am using at the moment

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Do you need/want networking on your AV receiver? Might as well get one with Airplay so you can stream iTunes to your system.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Afro GT
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I see so many denon failure/problem threads around here lately. D&M cheaped them out.
They just don't last. I would go with Yamaha. Lot less failures/bugs etc.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v475/1.html

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
I see so many denon failure/problem threads around here lately. D&M cheaped them out.
They just don't last. I would go with Yamaha. Lot less failures/bugs etc.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-v475/1.htmley
link does not work for me. In order to power what i am wanting what are the specs i should be looking at? and is denon really that bad? like i said i do not know about this stuff and really need to be told what to buy. Just want to make sure it is going to power the speakers i have being shipped to the house now.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Has an extra ey at the end of the link, try this http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v475/1.html

What speakers did you get? Their sensitivity rating will tell you how loud you might expect to drive them. That the receiver can power them well enough isn't much of a worry unless you have particularly hard to drive speakers at high spl's. Just select the features you need/warranty/return policy/price that works for you....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Link the the speakers i got. http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...atId=cat140013

I bought the same model on newegg and got them for 89$ a piece.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about that. Fixed. Here is the spec sheet on your towers. 8 ohm, 89db, 90 watts. Piece of cake.
http://www.ehifi.com.au/downloads/fi...20EU)_834e.pdf
As far as denon do a search of this whole receiver forum just today through last sunday. Just use the word denon.
A bunch of posts and new threads about problems. About 10 on sunday alone.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-19-2014 at 02:55 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Denon now the favorite consumer electronic brand to have failures? Anecdotal evidence mostly compared to numbers sold IMHO. I bought an Onkyo when it was advised as highly probable to fail....no issues. Get an extended warranty might be a good way to go with an avr. There are only so many actual factories making them for the brands....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Is Denon now the favorite consumer electronic brand to have failures? Anecdotal evidence mostly compared to numbers sold IMHO. I bought an Onkyo when it was advised as highly probable to fail....no issues. Get an extended warranty might be a good way to go with an avr. There are only so many actual factories making them for the brands....
I have only worked in one factory and that was 40 years ago. We made several brands of french frys. They all came from the same pile of potatoes. They didn't all taste the same. And they were not all made the same way.

In any receiver factory the quality of tooling/chassis design and the individual part quality can vary. Bad parts/chassis design are ticking time bombs. Some are doa. Some fail soon and some just after warranty runs out. And some will last a long time. It is all about percentages. Sunday was network card issue after hdmi issue etc. with several posts of I have the exact same problem. On several different models and all within 2 to 3 years old. About the time Bain Capital bought D&M. I heard rumors they cut the team and lower spec'd the parts. It may be finally showing up. Sunday was brutal and a few more today. More than normal. Do a denon search for aug 17.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

going to go with the yamaha receiver. listed here. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v475/1.html

My question is this this same receiver (listed below) from newegg for cheaper or do my eyes deceive me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140824032715:s

Going to pull the trigger on one of these as soon as i get the ok from one of you guys. any benefits that one retailer offers that i dont see?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poostar View Post
going to go with the yamaha receiver. listed here. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v475/1.html

My question is this this same receiver (listed below) from newegg for cheaper or do my eyes deceive me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140824032715:s

Going to pull the trigger on one of these as soon as i get the ok from one of you guys. any benefits that one retailer offers that i dont see?
Slight difference in model designation (4066 vs 4066BL but BL probably is just a reference to the basic color). I dunno. I'd go with whoever made any necessary returns/dissatisfaction easier to deal with....with price as a consideration as well of course. YMMV

post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
I see so many denon failure/problem threads around here lately.
Reallly?

Quote:
D&M cheaped them out.
Really?

Quote:
They just don't last.
I guess my Denon AVR which is now about 18 months old and holding strong didn't get the memo.

Quote:
I would go with Yamaha. Lot less failures/bugs etc.
I have one of those but I replaced with a Denon to get the features I wanted.

What is being recommended is such good equipment that Yamaha is seriously talking about quitting the AVR market, Here's your chance to have an orphan.

Looking at the Yammie sitting in my store room, its replacment model is far lighter but still based on the same technology, so now who is it that is cheapening out?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Same model. Bl means black. Less reliability doesn't mean total failure. It means more failures.
There are a lot more posts around here for denon failures than yamaha. Even Onkyo doesn't
have every receiver made break early. Just more than anybody else. Yamaha is known for
lighter weight/smaller power supplys.

They may pack it up and leave. There isn't much profit to be had making receivers. As far
as profit d&m has none while Yamaha has some. I only see the failures on the 12, 13 and lower
x series. The high end stuff is still rock solid. My 4311 still works perfectly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page