Wireless Toslink (Optical) transmitter - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Unread 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Hoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wireless Toslink (Optical) transmitter

I have a new 60" smart TV which outputs sound via Stereo RCA or Toslink

I know that RCA transmitters exist, but I have not found many transmitters that will send optical wirelessly.

I have a clean setup with zero visible wires and I cannot spoil that now. A transmitter I can mount behind the TV where I also have power is ideal.

The Nolan TRX is one of the only units I can find.

I want to be able to utilize my amplifier and built in 5.1 setup to watch Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Someone mentioned that the Nolan TRX must be paired each time you power on, which could be annoying...

If anyone has an alternative I'm open. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hoy; 08-19-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Do you have a picture of your setup? Trying to figure out where your amplifier and 5.1 setup is located in relation to the TV.

What would you be sending optical to?

Maybe I'm just confused.

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Unread 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wireless Digital Audio (SPDIF) distribution

Old trick: use an analog video transmitter/receiver. You'll also need an optical->coax converter.

A little messy, but simple and cheap.
post #4 of 4 Unread 09-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are you saying that the toslink to coax converter audio cable would connect to the single video in/out and that would essentially wirelessly extend a toslink cable? does it carry the full 5.1 sound?

I am building a rooftop system and all my components are in my house. i do have a single set of speaker wires that run from my components to my rooftop that is currently connected to a zone A on my amp (Marantz SR6004). However, all my sources have digital audio (PS3, Comast Cable and my Squeezebox). The other issue is that the zone A on my amp will only carry analog audio.

So I have some options:
1. i can just also add analog audio inputs from all the sources. so i would have both analog and digial in puts from Comcast TV, PS3 and squeezebox. that probably seems easiest but would limit my TV experience to two channel. which for a rooftop probably is fine, but (see number two)

2. my amp does have a toslink out for a zone B out to another amp. i could install an amp on my rooftop and run 5.1 sound from that amp, but i need a way to get the toslink out from my amp in my living room to the toslink in from the amp on the rooftop.

the video is being thrown by a special Peerless-AV HD Flow transmitter/receiver where the receiver has been weatherized and is attached to the TV. here, i was planning on getting splitters from the sources (Comcast, PS3 and computer), to split the sources to my home amp and the transmitter.

thoughts on best configuration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors