Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 597Likes

post #2191 of 2385 Old 04-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHX View Post
about 3 months ago I took my tx-nr3007 in for a one time courtesy repair that Onkyo approved for the hdmi no audio issue, got it back with a replaced hdmi board but now my left surround channel is out. No sound at all. I never had that issue before and I'm pretty sure that when they opened it up something went wrong.... Now i have to see if the service center will repair it at no extra cost since that occurred after they worked on it or if i have to pay out of pocket. Just annoyed because a Pioneer Elite unit I've had for 2 years longer hasnt had a single issue and this 3007 that I really enjoyed keeps having problems...
Wow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2385 Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Sending in my 5 year old TX-NR717

My TX-NR717 just up and stopped working. Never had a receiver that still turns on...doesn't buzz...just up and die. I freaked out and thought my Axiom Audio speakers stopped working until I borrowed a buddy's receiver and figured out it was my Onkyo.

I input the serial number and it states it is covered. They shipped me a box and I just sent it in a couple days ago.

All I know is....if I don't get it fixed and back in 100% condition...I won't buy an Onkyo again. I had a Yamaha bought locally for $300 that was normally $550...until a buddy sent me the link to this thread. Thank you for the original poster that let everyone know about this. You saved me $300 and made me still believe in Onkyo.

Crossing my fingers that I get my TX-NR717 back soon and all is good.
post #2193 of 2385 Old 04-24-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post
My TX-NR717 just up and stopped working. Never had a receiver that still turns on...doesn't buzz...just up and die. I freaked out and thought my Axiom Audio speakers stopped working until I borrowed a buddy's receiver and figured out it was my Onkyo.

I input the serial number and it states it is covered. They shipped me a box and I just sent it in a couple days ago.

All I know is....if I don't get it fixed and back in 100% condition...I won't buy an Onkyo again. I had a Yamaha bought locally for $300 that was normally $550...until a buddy sent me the link to this thread. Thank you for the original poster that let everyone know about this. You saved me $300 and made me still believe in Onkyo.

Just got mine back today, so far working fine.

post #2194 of 2385 Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a long time since I've been in here and posted but I feel that this is worthwhile. I have a 2010 Integra 50.1 That was purchased new in early 2011. Just inside the end of the product warranty the units audio output failed (HDMI sync issue) and was repaired at a local shop that was authorized by Integra/Onkyo. Life was good again.

A month ago the problem returned intermittently at first but soon the unit failed to sync at all and I was once again left with only video. It's been 6 years and I was ready to chalk this one off and change brands or A/V receiver. Two failures on this short a period of time on what I would consider higher end gear wasn't cutting it. My Adcom 555 pair have been up and doing their thing for over 20 years now.

Anyway, long story short, I called Onkyo customer service after reading about this common failure and the warranty extension offered. Though the website didn't show any benefit for me I was surprised and relieved when the Tech I spoke with told me that they would repair the unit and he was would ship me a box. I received notification this morning that the box was on its way and I'm pleased that Onkyo is interested in providing this service even to units that are clearly out of warranty.

Just thought I'd post this and share. Would I buy another Integra? I've been very happy with the feature set and the sound quality. Durability appears to be an issue which is either related to design issues or (as others have noted) a secondary supplier problem. I guess the jury is out for now.

Thanks for listening.

CZ
post #2195 of 2385 Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm chiming in with my thoughts/experience on this, since I used to be a big fan of Onkyo and have installed a lot of their hardware.

A couple years ago (2013?) I started to see a lot more failed units. Not just a few - more like a majority of them. After the first 2 failed, I started switching people to Denon or Yamaha.

Since then I've had no less than 8 failures, a couple units had multiple failures and it's cost me and my clients a ton of money dealing with Onkyo - because, at first and even up until relatively recently - they denied their liability, even when I showed them time and again that it was hardware failure.

It's telling that we still have people chiming in on this thread talking about getting a unit back that's been repaired (HA!) only to have something else go wrong. I got the same runaround several times and finally just gave up.

As far as I'm concerned, Onkyo is dead to me. The quality of service and customer friendliness I get from Yamaha and Denon are far, far superior. I can't seem to get a tech on the phone at Yamaha who ISN'T in a good mood and willing to go the extra mile.
kevin g. likes this.
post #2196 of 2385 Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hi All,

I think this may be what's happening to me. Currently, my NR807 powers on just fine and passes through video perfectly, but I cannot get audio to output via speaker cables or headphones. I haven't tried passing the audio through to the TV. THis applies to inputs from HDMI, Optical and even the Tuner. On Sunday it worked just fine, on Monday it didn't play audio until I switched back and forth between inputs and then on Tuesday no audio at all.

I've tried the factory reset option. I have NOT disconnected and reconnected the cables yet because...well because it's not easy to get to, but I will try tonight.

Having said that, does this seem to match the problems that this thread is referencing?

Thanks in advance
post #2197 of 2385 Old 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Hi All,

I think this may be what's happening to me. Currently, my NR807 powers on just fine and passes through video perfectly, but I cannot get audio to output via speaker cables or headphones. I haven't tried passing the audio through to the TV. THis applies to inputs from HDMI, Optical and even the Tuner. On Sunday it worked just fine, on Monday it didn't play audio until I switched back and forth between inputs and then on Tuesday no audio at all.

I've tried the factory reset option. I have NOT disconnected and reconnected the cables yet because...well because it's not easy to get to, but I will try tonight.

Having said that, does this seem to match the problems that this thread is referencing?

Thanks in advance
Yup, thats exactly what happened to my NR807. I was able to fix myself by installing a new DSP chip. You should try Onkyo first to see if they will fix it for free for you. If not, ping me. When I bought the DSP for mine (didn't check with Onkyo at all but should have), the vendor had a minimum order quantity so I ended up with 11 extra parts.

Two things you can use to check:

1) with the system turned on, hold the "Display" key while you press the "Standby (On)" button. Within 5 seconds. press the - or the + tone button. This will bring up the firmware revision for the main CPU so next, press - or + again and keep pressing until you see "DSP-1". I will bet that instead of numbers you will find that they are all "??????????". If so, the DSP chip isn't booting and is the source of your problem. This was the EXACT reason for the Onkyo warranty extension.

2) with the system turned on, press "Setup" then scroll to "Hardware Settings". If the system is connected to your TV you will likely find that the "Network" and "Firmware Update" options are greyed out. I not, you will find that they don't show up when you scroll. The reason for this is that the DSP is also responsible for managing the Network and USB controls and since these are the only two options that Onkyo provides for accessing firmware updates, this also indicates that the DSP subsystem isn't working.

HTH
Todd
Al Sherwood likes this.
post #2198 of 2385 Old 05-05-2017, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMotter View Post
Yup, thats exactly what happened to my NR807. I was able to fix myself by installing a new DSP chip. You should try Onkyo first to see if they will fix it for free for you. If not, ping me. When I bought the DSP for mine (didn't check with Onkyo at all but should have), the vendor had a minimum order quantity so I ended up with 11 extra parts.

1) with the system turned on, hold the "Display" key while you press the "Standby (On)" button. Within 5 seconds. press the - or the + tone button. This will bring up the firmware revision for the main CPU so next, press - or + again and keep pressing until you see "DSP-1". I will bet that instead of numbers you will find that they are all "??????????". If so, the DSP chip isn't booting and is the source of your problem. This was the EXACT reason for the Onkyo warranty extension.

2) with the system turned on, press "Setup" then scroll to "Hardware Settings". If the system is connected to your TV you will likely find that the "Network" and "Firmware Update" options are greyed out. I not, you will find that they don't show up when you scroll. The reason for this is that the DSP is also responsible for managing the Network and USB controls and since these are the only two options that Onkyo provides for accessing firmware updates, this also indicates that the DSP subsystem isn't working.

HTH
Todd
Thank you very much for responding and providing this information. I did what you suggested and got the following results:

1) DSP 1st/NET: 1.34/10910AMA, DSP 2nd: 1.02/09614AM2, VSP (Torino): 1.20/09911aea, MAIN: 1.27/10608AM, Video: 1.09/09721AT

2) You are correct that they are greyed out, but I also did not have a network cable attached at the time of testing so perhaps that is the reason.

Given the above, it seems I do not have the DSP failure you mentioned and therefore my problem may lie elsewhere
post #2199 of 2385 Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Thank you very much for responding and providing this information. I did what you suggested and got the following results:

1) DSP 1st/NET: 1.34/10910AMA, DSP 2nd: 1.02/09614AM2, VSP (Torino): 1.20/09911aea, MAIN: 1.27/10608AM, Video: 1.09/09721AT

2) You are correct that they are greyed out, but I also did not have a network cable attached at the time of testing so perhaps that is the reason.

Given the above, it seems I do not have the DSP failure you mentioned and therefore my problem may lie elsewhere
If the DSP is booting but you still have no sound, you may be in even better shape with Onkyo. The reason is that the original recall was intended to address an issue where the switching side of this DSP chip wore out. Since your DSP is booting but not processing sound, it is an indicator that your system suffered from the exact failure that TI called out in their notice to manufacturers.

FWIW, the network option will still show up (not greyed out) if the DSP is working properly even if there is no network cable attached. Also, the firmware update will also still show up since this can be performed via USB.

Give them a call. I suspect they will help you.
post #2200 of 2385 Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Smile All good now with my TX-NR717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froot View Post

Just a quick follow up. I did get my receiver back and all is good. Took about 2 weeks...but everything works great and I am happy. Thanks to Onkyo for honoring the extended warranty and acknowledging the flaw with the HDMI boards.
post #2201 of 2385 Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I just got a tx-8270 and this thread has me worried. should i be? i love the sound and features and it just came out so i assume they've ironed everything out by now? i can still return to amazon and fork out for a yamaha but i don't really want to spend $800 to get the same thing with a different logo unless my odds of problems are high with the onkyo. i started another thread but got very few responses. the yamaha a-s701 was the only other thing i've come across that met my criteria but i'm still not sure if it has bass management.

PC>Toslink>Onkyo TX-8270> Ascend Acoustics RAAL Tower Speakers & Rythmik LVX12 sub

Last edited by brannigan; 05-13-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #2202 of 2385 Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm also keeping an eye on this thread. Have a one year old TX-Nr646 and fingers crossed, so far so good.
post #2203 of 2385 Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannigan View Post
I just got a tx-8270 and this thread has me worried. should i be? i love the sound and features and it just came out so i assume they've ironed everything out by now? i can still return to amazon and fork out for a yamaha but i don't really want to spend $800 to get the same thing with a different logo unless my odds of problems are high with the onkyo. i started another thread but got very few responses. the yamaha a-s701 was the only other thing i've come across that met my criteria but i'm still not sure if it has bass management.
You should not be affected by the core issue causing this recall which is due to the early failure of a DSP chip simply because TI has fixed the design and the new models have a version of this chip that is not prone to early failure.

Unfortunately, there seems to be two things going on here. The first is the bad revisions of the DSP chip but the second is that even the new DSP chips can become disconnected from the board. My current belief from repairing many Onkyo receivers is that the HDMI boards position at the top of the receiver makes it a focal point for heat which then causes the board to flex which in turn creates stresses on the DSP solder balls causing them to break free from the board. I base this on personal experience where I have fixed Onkyo and Integra systems by simply removing the chip, re-balling it and reinstalling it (BTW, the same is true of the video subsystem where the Marvel video processor can break free as well causing no video to appear).

Having said all this, I have noticed that Onkyo/Integra seem to be taking steps to address this issue in their new designs. If you look at the interior pics of the new Integra DRX-R1, note that all of the heat generating parts have been moved to the front and side and then shielded with metal from the boards in the rear. This would be an effective way of keeping the heat away from the DSP/HDMI board to reduce its expansion/contraction due to heat.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/Pr...ss#prettyPhoto

The best advice I can offer would be to keep at least 8" of open space above the amplifier to allow the heat to escape. I no longer stack other components on top of my receiver and on my systems at home, I make sure they have excellent ventilation. This seems to help.
post #2204 of 2385 Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You should not be affected by the core issue causing this recall which is due to the early failure of a DSP chip simply because TI has fixed the design and the new models have a version of this chip that is not prone to early failure.

Unfortunately, there seems to be two things going on here. The first is the bad revisions of the DSP chip but the second is that even the new DSP chips can become disconnected from the board. My current belief from repairing many Onkyo receivers is that the HDMI boards position at the top of the receiver makes it a focal point for heat which then causes the board to flex which in turn creates stresses on the DSP solder balls causing them to break free from the board. I base this on personal experience where I have fixed Onkyo and Integra systems by simply removing the chip, re-balling it and reinstalling it (BTW, the same is true of the video subsystem where the Marvel video processor can break free as well causing no video to appear).

Having said all this, I have noticed that Onkyo/Integra seem to be taking steps to address this issue in their new designs. If you look at the interior pics of the new Integra DRX-R1, note that all of the heat generating parts have been moved to the front and side and then shielded with metal from the boards in the rear. This would be an effective way of keeping the heat away from the DSP/HDMI board to reduce its expansion/contraction due to heat.

The best advice I can offer would be to keep at least 8" of open space above the amplifier to allow the heat to escape. I no longer stack other components on top of my receiver and on my systems at home, I make sure they have excellent ventilation. This seems to help.
I guess there's just no telling sometimes. my old hk receiver i bought as a refurb long ago is still working in my sisters house and my new hk990 is dead. i have about 4-5 inches of space over the onkyo but the shelf is wide open on all sides with lots of breathing room. hopefully it will be fine.

PC>Toslink>Onkyo TX-8270> Ascend Acoustics RAAL Tower Speakers & Rythmik LVX12 sub
post #2205 of 2385 Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am having the same problem with TX-NR838. HDMI loses audio. Factory reset restores it for a little while. Onkyo is giving me the 'out of warranty, this line of receivers isn't affected' line. I am just about done with this company.
post #2206 of 2385 Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

In terms of cooling, AVR manufacturers seem to still have their heads stuck in the stereo receiver era. Vertical, instead of horizontal, oriented boards and better internal active cooling, similar to earlier PC desktop case designs, is the way to go IMO. Until such time, users can utilize fan based external cooling devices that aid air flow through the AVR. That's in addition to following the manufacturer's external clearance advice similar to your 8" open space suggestion.
post #2207 of 2385 Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:

I posted in another thread about having a handshake issue with my Integra DTR-65.4 and Integra replaced it at no charge, it happened about a few months later and Integra said I would have to pay to ship it to them and them to fix it again. Are they now homering to repair the AVR's again? That would save me some cash in buying a new AVR right now.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2208 of 2385 Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Should I be concerned if I need to reboot my receiver every once and a while to get the audio to come back on? Like when I switch from xbox one to directv or use zone 2? or is this a common issue others have had?

Thanks,

Last edited by Phil Carman; 05-29-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #2209 of 2385 Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My TX-NR616 lost all audio on every connection. I bit for the $199 TX-NR646 trade in offer. My concern is that what happens if the new one fails? Are these 646 up to date with the new chips or do they have the same failed chipset??

Anyone know?
post #2210 of 2385 Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild2 View Post
My TX-NR616 lost all audio on every connection. I bit for the $199 TX-NR646 trade in offer. My concern is that what happens if the new one fails? Are these 646 up to date with the new chips or do they have the same failed chipset??

Anyone know?
The NR-646 will come with the latest rev of the chip. The challenge I am seeing is that there are two different issues. The first issue is that the older rev of the DSP chip will wear out over time. This is the fault that is covered by the Onkyo extended warranty. The second issue is that heat can cause minuscule warping of the board which causes the solder balls on the DSP chip to break free. I have seen this issue on new boards as well as old boards. This problem is NOT covered by the extended warranty.

I have seen a couple of the older systems where the DSP had not yet worn out and instead, the solder balls had broken free. To test this, I simply re-balled them and reinstalled them and found that they worked fine. In two other cases, I found that the DSP chip was shot. I don't like time bombs so on the DSP's that worked, I pulled them off again and installed new ones but this points to the theory that this problem has been happening for a LONNNGGG time. Onkyo's problem is that the symptoms of a bad DSP are the same as for a broken solder ball so they pretty much have to fix them all EXCEPT when they can confirm that the failed board has the new rev of the chip.
post #2211 of 2385 Old 05-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well this is BS. HDMI is dropping out on my TX-NR616 likely due to heat. Resoldering new capacitors didn't seem to fix the issue so I would like to get a new HDMI board. Called Onkyo support and they won't sell parts to end users, only way to get a new board is to go through an authorized repair facility...of which the closest one is a 1.5 hr drive. Repair facilities aren't allowed to sell just the part to users, they can only repair. The cost of repairs is GREATER than what I paid for this unit!

I now have an expensive paperweight. What a mistake I was thinking that Onkyo was good value for the $$. Can anyone recommend what other brands should I pay attention to that DON'T treat their customers like crap and actually support their products?
post #2212 of 2385 Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobb1 View Post
Well this is BS. HDMI is dropping out on my TX-NR616 likely due to heat. Resoldering new capacitors didn't seem to fix the issue so I would like to get a new HDMI board. Called Onkyo support and they won't sell parts to end users, only way to get a new board is to go through an authorized repair facility...of which the closest one is a 1.5 hr drive. Repair facilities aren't allowed to sell just the part to users, they can only repair. The cost of repairs is GREATER than what I paid for this unit!

I now have an expensive paperweight. What a mistake I was thinking that Onkyo was good value for the $$. Can anyone recommend what other brands should I pay attention to that DON'T treat their customers like crap and actually support their products?
Assuming you didn't void the warranty, you could probably get it fixed for free by following the directions in the first post of this thread. Free shipping, free repair, fast turn around, no more "paper weight". If they do void your warranty due to the attempted repair (I doubt they would look close enough to notice), you can purchase HDMI boards on ebay for a reasonable price.

As for Onkyo "treating their customers like crap", I don't think ANY of the major AVR manufacturers will sell you repair parts for their products, so good luck finding a company that will treat you better in that regard. As for as customer service of other brands, I doubt any will treat you better, but I've heard Yamaha has the best reliability, thus avoiding customer service hassles. Whatever direction you choose, good luck.
post #2213 of 2385 Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 PM

Should I forgo even looking at Onkyo now? What about their brand new lineup with the 777 that is THX certified?

L/R - Klipsch RP-260F
C - Klipsch RP-450C
Surrs - Klipsch KSB-S1
Surr Backs - Klipsch SB-1
Sub - M&K V-125
post #2214 of 2385 Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Are there certain models or series that one should stay away from? Or to put it another way, models and/or series that are less troublesome??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2215 of 2385 Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Are there certain models or series that one should stay away from? Or to put it another way, models and/or series that are less troublesome??
The 2012 models (TX-NRX1X) appear to be the last model to have the high failure rate HDMI board. After that, pick the model that fits your budget/feature requirements and read the dedicated owner threads. It seems to me that Denon has listened to users and has the best feature sets among the major mfrs. They are typically more expensive than Onkyo, but if you have a Fry's near you, they have amazing prices (on Denon and Onkyo) if you sign up for their e-mails...
post #2216 of 2385 Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Was this a separate board on part of their "motherboard"? Yamaha had/has problems with their motherboard with what appears to be similar a problem area; HDMI.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2217 of 2385 Old 06-01-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
I have noticed that Onkyo/Integra seem to be taking steps to address this issue in their new designs. If you look at the interior pics of the new Integra DRX-R1, note that all of the heat generating parts have been moved to the front and side and then shielded with metal from the boards in the rear. This would be an effective way of keeping the heat away from the DSP/HDMI board to reduce its expansion/contraction due to heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post
In terms of cooling, AVR manufacturers seem to still have their heads stuck in the stereo receiver era. Vertical, instead of horizontal, oriented boards and better internal active cooling, similar to earlier PC desktop case designs, is the way to go IMO. Until such time, users can utilize fan based external cooling devices that aid air flow through the AVR. That's in addition to following the manufacturer's external clearance advice similar to your 8" open space suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
The 2012 models (TX-NRX1X) appear to be the last model to have the high failure rate HDMI board. After that, pick the model that fits your budget/feature requirements and read the dedicated owner threads.
Heat has been and always will be a primary enemy to delicate electronics. Many AVR manufacturers have had recent heat related failures WRT to HDMI boards and de-soldered components. Sifting through the various AVR threads confirm this. Additionally, a major Canadian repair center technical representative recently posted that these heat related HDMI board failures are not isolated to Onkyo but have been seen across many major brands. As consumers, it is incumbent upon us to adhere to the recommended clearance guidelines and/or provide external cooling to minimize failures. It is also incumbent upon manufacturers to develop better designs (i.e. @ameridian ). It appears that Onkyo has attempted to separate themselves from heat generating Class A/B amps to cooler running Class D amps beginning with some of their 2016 product lines...obviously influenced by Pioneer.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 06-01-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
post #2218 of 2385 Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 AM

Liked: 0
Question

Quote:

HTH
Todd

I have Onkyo TX-SR875 which is suffering from Popping/Crackling sound from front left and surround right channel, then both channel stops, now it is fall in "No Sound Issue". Earlier I check its firmware version it looks ok, but after having popping sound issue I try to firmware upgrade but It stucks in "Updating.....". Then it shows "?????????" when checking the firmware version. After resetting AVR firmware looks ok no more "?????". But still it has popping/crackling or no sound. Now I have some doubt please can u clear it?

1. Is it fault of HDMI Board?
2. If HDMI Board has DSP Chip and all then why separate DSP Board provided in ONKYO AVR? Where is DSP Chip (Problematic Chip) located in Onkyo TX-SR875? Is it possible to replace that bad chip with local expert service technician?
3. I also thought there was issue of DSP Chip and I bought DSP Board but still no sound from AVR, Video works very well why?
4. Onkyo starts a service camp for AVR which are having "No Sound Issue" but is this facility available for second customer? I mean to say If I am a second owner of Onkyo AVR then would I get free service facility?
5. Onkyo TX-SR875 works if HDMI Board removed?
post #2219 of 2385 Old 06-03-2017, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carman View Post
Should I be concerned if I need to reboot my receiver every once and a while to get the audio to come back on? Like when I switch from xbox one to directv or use zone 2? or is this a common issue others have had?

Thanks,
This was the first symptom on my 818. It did that for several months before the board finally failed.
post #2220 of 2385 Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
This was the first symptom on my 818. It did that for several months before the board finally failed.
I am confused...I cant understand If digital sound processing is done by chip of HDMI Board then whats the need/role of DSP Board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page