AVS Forum banner

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

648K views 3K replies 699 participants last post by  aletras 
#1 ·
Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

This is great news for all Onkyo owners with failed HDMI/No Sound issues.

See less See more
#2,045 ·
The new generation appears to have addressed the problem with a different implementation that operates reliably.

My six year old Onkyo had an intermittent problem and was repaired under this program and is now in use daily in another room. I bought a new Onkyo for my theater, am happy with performance, and expect a long trouble free life.

#2,046 ·
Onkyo TX-NR 5900

HDMI board just went out. Anyone know if this receiver is covered under Customer Care Program with warranty extended to 2018 by Onkyo? Thank you.

#2,047 ·
HDMI board just went out. Anyone know if this receiver is covered under Customer Care Program with warranty extended to 2018 by Onkyo? Thank you.
Follow link at beginning of this thread and enter the serial number of your 5900...

#2,048 ·
My 5507 lost sound and network requiring a hard reset each time. Onkyo had already replaced the HDMI board and were kind enough to cover this as well, sent a shipping box and pre-paid label. But, I am done with them and will sell it when it gets back, I picked up a Yamaha CX-A5100 to replace it and am perfectly happy. My wife was not thrilled as I also bought an Xbox One S and a Samsung 65" KS8000 then took up DIRECTV on their Costco offer and now I am loving 4K.

Reactions: azz7686
#2,049 ·
What was the last series to have the HDMI issues? x2x, x3x?

Are there any known issues with the TX-NR747? Does the issue apply to the Integra receivers also? I'm looking at picking up either an Integra 40.5 or an Onkyo TX-NR747 in the next few weeks. I found a sweet deal on the Integra but I won't consider it if it's one of the effected units.

What Brand/Model would be a good alternative in the $400 price range? Refurb and B-stock included.

#2,050 ·
Are there any known issues with the TX-NR747? Does the issue apply to the Integra receivers also? I'm looking at picking up either an Integra 40.5 or an Onkyo TX-NR747 in the next few weeks. I found a sweet deal on the Integra but I won't consider it if it's one of the effected units.

What Brand/Model would be a good alternative in the $400 price range? Refurb and B-stock included.
You might visit accessories4less and take a look, there are some Marantz, Yamaha and Denon models in that range to consider.
I am partial to Yamaha and Marantz but Denon is good too.

#2,056 ·
Does anyone know if this holds for the Integra
I have a 40.5 and just had board blow
Thank you
Yes! I just called Integra for my DTR-40.1, and they are replacing the HDMI board for free. (I had the board repaired 4 or so years ago by a local shop, it's failed again after the repair.) Just call Integra, tell them your issue, let them help you troubleshoot it, and if they can't help you over the phone, they'll let you know if your Integra unit qualifies for the program, mail you a box, etc. Best of luck! (Btw, the Integra number is 201-818-9200.)

And thanks to this forum for helping me save money and time; I was about to try the whole "oven bake your HDMI board" route, and I was not looking forward to it... :)

#2,052 ·
Thanks dgater!
The "no sound" problem was driving me crazy! Just took a little googling to find this thread and your very helpful link. I entered my SN, checked the symptoms, and they'll fix my 6 year old receiver and pay shipping both ways! A little inconvenient but Onkyo are really standing behind their product! I have owned a couple of Onkyo products and they really give the best bang for the buck. And this kind of product support just reinforces my loyalty to the brand.:D

#2,059 ·
Hey JKent, and anyone else who's managed to get their device repaired under the extended warranty,

Did you need to provide proof of purchase? I've been sold a faulty second hand unit (yes, I'm an idiot for not checking it out properly) and would love to be able to get it fixed under the scheme. Thought it might be worth a shot since they're replacing units from 6 years ago. There can't be many folk who hang onto receipts that long, can there?

#2,053 ·
I think my onkyo is right outside of the range date but I am going to check it to make sure as soon as I get home. I am noticing now that it takes longer for it to detect the HDMI output. I am also having an issue that accueEQ always fails on the left channel so I have never been able to successfully run accuEq .. Could that be related?

#2,054 ·
IIRC, AccuEQ didn't show up till the 2014 models. This only covers till 2012. Your model isn't covered.

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

#2,057 ·
TX-NR1007 Audio Fail

My TX-NR1007 has been having issues with the audio output for some time. For awhile, if the unit was allowed to warm up sufficiently, the audio would eventually come on, it finally failed completely.
Went to the Onkyo webpage and entered my serial number, they are sending a box and paperwork for the repair.
Hopefully that will be the end of it for the time being, I don't feel like doing all the research to decide what receiver I would want to buy to replace it until all the SUHD/Wide Dynamic Range standards settle out with the displays.

#2,063 ·
I LOVE ONKYO!

For years I've said Onkyo offers the "best bang for the buck." Now I can say they are dedicated to customer support.

You are all familiar with the scenario: My 6-year-old TX-NR1008 started acting flaky. Often it would not connect to Pandora and some times when I tried to watch a movie the sound would not work. I read the manual, unplugged the receiver, nothing seemed to work. Then it would be magically "fixed" for a while. Frustrating!

Finally Googled "Onkyo TX-NR1008 no sound" and found the problem was common and there were a number of "solutions". I especially liked the YouTube vid showing how to cook the PCB in an oven!

Then I found this thread. Went to the Onkyo site, entered my SN and ticked off the symptoms, and within about 3 days there was a pre-paid shipping carton at my door. Packed it up (they even supply a roll of tape), took it to a FedEx drop-off and HAD IT BACK IN MY HOUSE, REPAIRED, ONE WEEK LATER!

I love Onkyo :D

And thank you, dgater, for the OP.

-Kent

#2,065 ·
Thank you for this thread.

I bought two Onkyo 616 receivers, one for my main living room and one for my media room, in 2012. While we have a universal DirecTv remote that I programmed to control all the devices, training the wife and two young kids how to turn on/off the audio components, DVD, TV and DirecTv receiver has been a long process. I can't recall how many phone calls I received at the office asking me how to turn the volume on.

As a result, I think the receiver (which sits inside a cabinet) was left on more than it was turned off. About a year ago, I was awakened at 7AM on a Saturday by my kids complaining they couldn't hear their programs. Thinking it was the usual issue of not being turned on correctly or set to the wrong component, I started troubleshooting. Nothing worked. After a full four hours of testing this and switching that, I finally moved the HDMI from Cable/Satellite to Game. It worked! I had restored audio, albeit on the Game setting. That worked for about a year, until the same thing happened to the Game HDMI.

That's when I found this thread and learned of the Onkyo recall. I entered my serial number it is one of the units eligible for repair. Personally, I would have preferred the $150 credit towards a new 646 unit. But that offer was only valid if you bought it from their website, where it's listed for $699!!! Are you kidding me? The same unit is on Amazon for $399.

Anyway, I just got the repaired receiver yesterday. It's still in the box. I'll get it re-installed this weekend keep my fingers crossed everything works.

#2,066 ·
Glad you found this forum!

Yes--the rebate is a little stingy. I didn't realize it only applied to their direct sales, but they were only going to give me a $200 rebate for my TX-NR1008. That model is no longer made but it's a 9.2 channel (and I have 11 speakers running) and the new 9.2 model has an MSRP or $2200! Not much of a rebate.

For your family-training, have you considered a Harmony remote? I have a 600 (I think that's the model) and it's programed for "Watch TV" (turns on the TV and cable box), Watch Movie" (turns on BD player and receiver) and "Listen to Music" (turns on receiver and selects Internet Radio). Once you make your selection, everything (pretty much) is controlled using the Harmony Remote. I rarely touch the other remotes.

Good luck!

#2,068 ·
Repaired receiver was re-installed and is working fine. Having to listen to audio through the TV speakers was a beating, so it's nice to have the surround sound back, not to mention the network connection and ability to control the receiver from my ipad.

Unfortunately, it appears my Panasonic DVD player/recorder just kicked the bucket. Yes, I'm one of those who still prefer DVDs over streaming movies.

#2,070 ·
Wow, glad I ran up on this thread. I have a Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro. Bought this unit back in 2011. From then till last week it worked like a charm. All of a sudden no sound, I knew it wasn't my amp, checked it out with a older preamp and cd player. Ran my serial number on Onkyo's program page and now have a box coming. I was about to send it off to United Radio in New York.. Thank goodness for Audio Video Forum.

#2,072 · (Edited)
Just bought a TX NR 646 and have had sound issues. After FF - NO SOUND for sometimes up to 5 minutes. Posted on the Onkyo Forum and they say there are firmware issues and hopefully they will be resolved soon.. Thing is, they say take it to a service repair facility.. WHAT?? If it's a firmware issue, how is a service center going to fix an issue if the firmware update isn't out yet?

My correspondence with ONKYO below.. and.... they won't give me case number so I can return unit.. Anyone have any ideas?

• ForumMod9 wrote:Hello tilzman442, we have identified an issue with some DVR's. Our engineers are working on a firmware update. We do not have a release date at this time. Thank you FM9
Re: TX-NR646 Sound goes out after pausing or Fast forwarding

by ForumMod9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 pm
Hello tilzman442, we understand your frustration. There are many models of DVR's on the market and we are trying to resolve all of the issues with one release. We all hope that it will be soon. Best regards, FM9

#2,083 · (Edited)
Spoke to Onkyo again and they recognized that some receivers have issues with communication on sound with certain DVR's and I guess I have one of those with issues. The support lady told me there is a "Work Around" solution. Just go to another setting like from cable to Bluetooth and back to cable and it will get the sound back.. I have done this and it works...Funny how the last call to Onkyo they told me Tech help could resolve problems and to call after I got back from vacation and never said anthing about a work around...

I absolutely love all of my Onkyo's, but really can't deal with this lack of sound issue, and the work around feature does not make me happy. :frown:
After technical help tells me there is no problem and issue can be resolved with Tech help and my last call to Onkyo telling me they have communication issues with the sound, I really do not want to deal with this company anymore and will be returning my 646.
NOW! what do I get? Research research research..

#2,076 ·
So my TX-NR1007 has started to have issues that may need warranty work. It was a certified refurbished model that I purchased from Accessories4Less, but when I looked at the back of the chassis, there is no serial number sticker. I can, however, see the adhesive residue where the sticker was at one time but it's gone now.

Anybody have a similar situation re: the serial number? I've contacted the seller, but it's been about 6 years, so I'm not hopeful.

#2,077 ·
I (again) have the "no sound" issue with my TX-NR807. A few years ago, Onkyo paid for a new HDMI board to resolve a "no sound" / eventual sound after a few soft restarts or hard restarts (unplugging) problem. The local authorized Onkyo dealership kept my diagnosis fee :mad:, but at least they hinted at contacting Onkyo, which worked out better :) than proceeding with out-of-warranty repair. I now use it in my study with lower expectations / requirements and have a Yamaha in my living room. The 807 has worked for the last few years, but now I get no sound, ever.

Today, I opted for the $125 rebate toward a $700 (Amazon $400) TX-NR646 that has newer 4K and Atmos technology but is "lower end". Regarding remarks about S/N (mine is valid for repair/rebate) and receipts (which I have for the 807), the receipts appear to only refer to original receipts from the new replacement unit and stickers from the box. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#2,079 ·
Only repaired my RC360 a few months back. An issue I am having however is the one Channel is lower than the rest and I need to put it on +9 to remotely equalize it. Is this part of the problems?
Not as far as I know, this problem is related to the HDMI board, have you tried different sources, tuner, analog and digital? IF it remains consistently low I would suggest that it is the amplifier.

#2,080 ·
I currently own an Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver that was purchased in 2011. When it was on standby, there was a burning smell. I immediately turned everything off. The next day onwards, it's been unable to send audio to the speakers but it's still passing video.

The receiver was bought in the U.S and imported to India via Amazon.com. I entered my serial number on the Onkyo site and it says it's eligible. But sending it to the U.S wouldn't be feasible and I'm not sure whether the local service center will uphold it.

More importantly, I'm worried about fire hazards even after repair. So I'm wondering if it would be safer to buy a new one such as Denon or Yamaha. These are the current speakers that I'm running for a 7.1 System:

Polk TSi 300 (for the fronts, sides, and rears)
Polk CS 20 (Center speaker)
Polk DSW 500 subwoofer

I'm currently not interested in Atmos and I was wondering if you could give me a few suggestions for a receiver to run those speakers. 4K and 3D support aren't needed as either as I'll be sending only the audio to the receiver.

#2,081 · (Edited)
Have the HDMI issues been taken care of with newer models? I bought my TX-NR 5007 late '09. Hell, it's been over 6 years now and 2 covered repairs. I'm afraid to buy a new receiver... Specifically I need 4K handling capabilities.

#2,082 ·
Its a shame and disappointing to read about all issues with Onkyo receivers lately. I have TX-SR705 bought on 2008, still works great. The only issue i had was it stopped decoding DTS Master tracks a while ago, I had to do a factory reset and recalibrate Audysey. No issues since then, works great. Now I am going for a Yamaha A1060. Not too sure about Onkyo quality.

#2,084 ·
I have a TX-NR809 I purchased in 2011. In 2014 had the no sound issue and network grayed out. Onkyo repaired the unit.

For the last 6 months (+/-) when I go to access the net or play net, it does not work (like no net access). Unplugging the unit and plugging it back in resolves it, but it happens again. I only use the net every few weeks so I am not sure if it happens more frequently.

Could this be a bad network chip?

thanks,

Mike

#2,085 ·
If the xx09 series are like the xx07 series the networking is on the HDMI board, in fact that was the first sign of trouble on my 3007, the network settings were greyed out and the app I use to remote control the AVR over Ethernet could not connect, the video and sound came next.

If you put in the serial number I'll wager it is covered...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.