Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #1 of 253 Old 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

This is great news for all Onkyo owners with failed HDMI/No Sound issues.
slimm, tampabuc, old corps and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 Old 08-20-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 183
This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.

I hope they cover the HDMI boards for everyone that has issues, but I have a feeling the fine print is going to prevent most failures from being covered. This is one time that I would like to be wrong.

I give them props for taking responsibility, but it should have happened long ago.

It's also interesting how there isn't a list of receivers with the problem, you have to go to their site and enter your serial number to see if it is covered.
post #3 of 253 Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #4 of 253 Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 PM
HHX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Well, i just entered the s/n of my TX-NR905 which has no audio... I get an error, invalid serial number....
about 3 months ago I took my tx-nr3007 in for a one time courtesy repair that Onkyo approved for the hdmi no audio issue, got it back with a replaced hdmi board but now my left surround channel is out. No sound at all. I never had that issue before and I'm pretty sure that when they opened it up something went wrong.... Now i have to see if the service center will repair it at no extra cost since that occurred after they worked on it or if i have to pay out of pocket. Just annoyed because a Pioneer Elite unit I've had for 2 years longer hasnt had a single issue and this 3007 that I really enjoyed keeps having problems...
post #5 of 253 Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Cool

It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind their product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).

Last edited by JKR1963; 08-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #6 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

SNIP
.....receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012.....

When was the 905 made? Wasn't it around 2007?
post #7 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.
solidscooter likes this.

post #8 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
Doesn't the fact that all Onkyo receivers run hot, contribute to the failed HDMI board issues?

Seems to me, that they should concentrate there efforts on finding a way to make cooler operating receivers.
I read on another thread this has been resolved. New models run from 105-109 (from memory).
post #9 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A day late and a dollar short for me. They have known about the HDMI issue for years and are just now dealing with it. My (Integra 70.2) is on it's second HDMI Failure in two years. The first was repaired under warranty. It has failed again and my dealer is replacing the whole unit with another one through an exchange program that Integra (Onkyo) has with it's dealers. When I get the replacement, I will sell it as I have no faith that it will not fail again. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 3040 and will not look back. Onkyo has tarnished it's reputation with repeated failures and repairing with parts that will fail again. It will be quite some time before I trust them again.
03rkc and Onk Yo like this.

Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
post #10 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
It looks like good news. I have the 3009...........and if the Audio goes out it looks like that is covered.........it says the coverage is for loss of audio.........we all know why and what this usually is from..........saying it is just a bad chip makes it sound better than "Our HDMI Boards all will fail"...........that sounds more severe and damaging to their reputation then saying "a bad chip".

If mine goes........I will use the Onkyo coverage instead of my Vision's coverage.........and get my $150 back as a credit to use at Vision's assuming I don't have to claim for another type of "non Onkyo covered repair". This is welcome news for me.

It looks good for Onkyo if they are standing behind there product........but it would be better if they would do the following:

Fix the issue on newly released units.......design or manufacturing issues......whatever......fix it.
Add back XT32 (or a better newer version if there is one next year). Decide to go back to making 3010/5010 grade units..........with the lighted remote like the 09's. The new 3030 has downgraded amps (and weight too).
My 876 is almost 6 years old now. I've read of higher end units like this one failing and I can't help but wonder how many Onkyo owners read about the heat failures on line but shrugged their shoulders at spending $25 to buy a widely available small fan and power source. Maybe they thought that Onkyo shouldn't make faulty units and they shouldn't have to buy a fan, so didn't. I thought, I'll spend 25 in insurance and 6 years later my receiver has been flawless. I'd rather spend for the fan than have a failure or 2 to deal with.

I also wonder how many ignored the instructions in the manual and crammed their Onkyo into tight enclosed shelving(and of course wouldn't admit that to Onkyo)thus ensuring they would cook the hdmi board. It's a mess, I know. Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so. I just look at my flawless 876 and wonder how many could have avoided all the trouble they had by listening to what they read on forums like this. Even now owners are probably reading this and shrugging their shoulders instead of doing something before the trouble strikes.
post #11 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 206
It doesn't sound like this is addressing HDMI board issues. What does the HDMI board have to do with networking? Why would the problem be audio only?

I think this addresses another defect.
Archaea likes this.
post #12 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
It doesn't sound like this is addressing HDMI board issues. What does the HDMI board have to do with networking? Why would the problem be audio only?

Another reason to quit Onkyo...

On a sidenote, the TX-NR905 is not covered... Even though it is suffering the same issue, no audio....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #13 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:

It is the same issue. From first hand experience, when the hdmi audio goes out, so does the networking. I do not know the relationship or which is the cause vs symptom, but it is an accurate reflection of the problem.

I contacted Onkyo back in April, before the announcement mentioned and they fixed it. This is my first Onkyo product and probably my last because I will be likely go w/ separates next purchase, but from the time I've dealt with them, they have handled this the way I would have hoped.

Last edited by JustaSheep; 08-21-2014 at 04:18 PM.
post #14 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I am assuming that "network connection" is referring to the HDMI board. I could be wrong though.
post #15 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Liked: 29
Makes me wonder if my old NR807 would be covered now... After I was getting nowhere with Onkyo in my claim that was just out of warranty, I sold the receiver for parts at a huge loss. Seeing this only burns more considering they didn't want to accept my warranty claim back then. The issue, no sound... lived in an open air completely ventilated shelf with more than enough space to breathe. I have since swore off Onkyo, but will be interesting to see if they fix all of their issues, but I'm going to need to see at least 3 years of quality products to gain any trust back again, and even at that, may avoid out of principal.
Onk Yo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would not buy Onkyo having been a regular here for a long time and having read so many complaints. But even Yamaha fails, I have a dead RX-A8xx here that won't stay turned on, and that thing wasn't too old when it failed.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #17 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Hmmm....after a few years of use I have just in last few days had an audio dropout here and there and my Onkyo android app has been funky......but hadn't yet suspected the avr at this point but rather my sources (I have not the best internet situation where I live with CenturyLink DSL modem/router, and for all I know DirecTv issues even though a change of channels found audio returning right away and who knows with android apps, new to that but wouldn't be the first one to have issues) but if turns out to be avr glad to see I have an avenue like this. Thanks for posting.

post #18 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
After entering my model # (TX-NR609B) and serial # they say that mine doesn't need the repair. I'm actually not having any problem, knock on wood, but checked off that I was to see if mine would be covered. I'm HOPING that because mine was a refurb purchased directly from Onkyo a little over a year ago MAYBE it had an updated HDMI board or "network chip".
Hey, one can hope........

Ed
post #19 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Onkyo apparently got the daughter board in question from Toshiba and somehow the spec for the capacitors that fail should have been 105 degrees instead of 85 degrees. At some point they no doubt realized they screwed up, and didn't do much about it. For that their rep has suffered greatly and rightly so.

The really stupid thing is not fixing the issue once it was brought to their attention and on top of that, they never implemented a change, because people have had their HDMI board replaced under warranty and then had the replacement fail as well! From what I have seen and heard so far, this isn't going to address the HDMI board issue that most people are having.
post #20 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
This will be interesting to see how this plays out. They say it is caused by a single element (defective network chip), however, most people with HDMI issues are finding it is cap related and doesn't have anything to do with the network chip.
Not necessarily, at least for the years mentioned in the warranty extension. My integra DHC 40.1 had issues that were identified as the DSP chip on the HDMI board. It was fixed by Onkyo/Integra after much hassling. It is the same issue that happens to the 40.2 and 40.3 as well as the 80.1-80.3. I don't know the Onkyo side as well, but one can see it is older Onkyo products that generally had the cap issues.

I wonder if this includes Integra Home Theater. I hope so.
post #21 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Not necessarily, at least for the years mentioned in the warranty extension. My integra DHC 40.1 had issues that were identified as the DSP chip on the HDMI board. It was fixed by Onkyo/Integra after much hassling. It is the same issue that happens to the 40.2 and 40.3 as well as the 80.1-80.3. I don't know the Onkyo side as well, but one can see it is older Onkyo products that generally had the cap issues.

I wonder if this includes Integra Home Theater. I hope so.

I hope you are right, because if it doesn't cover HDMI boards, it's pretty much useless as that is probably 95% of the problems that people have.

Even still, you are saying a DSP chip. That's not the "network chip" they make sure to mention as the source of the problem. Only time will tell.
post #22 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's funny; my unit was sold as a refurb but the serial number won't fit the refurb serial number field, it fits the new receiver serial number field.
post #23 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Perfect timing. I was experiencing an increased number of Audio & Video drop-outs. Just yesterday, my TX-NR515 died completely. It won't even power on now.

According to the program website, the TX-NR515 is covered.

Off to start the return process and buy a different receiver in the mean time....
post #24 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I hope you are right, because if it doesn't cover HDMI boards, it's pretty much useless as that is probably 95% of the problems that people have.

Even still, you are saying a DSP chip. That's not the "network chip" they make sure to mention as the source of the problem. Only time will tell.
It does cover the HDMI boards. I had mine repaired out of warranty earlier this year before the mass "recall".
post #25 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
The network chip is on the same board as the HDMI.
howardru likes this.
post #26 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is good news, assuming they do cover the so called HDMI failure.

Speaking as an 818 owner who has not experienced the problem but expects to some day... and extended until 2018? Cannot complain.

Like pinball? Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had my 709 HDMI board repaired about 10 months ago after complaining about another failure on this unit which Onkyo swapped for my original 707 which also failed 2 years earlier with the same problem. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty when the 709 came in and called them on that. DP (Duane) and John manning their social media pages really took ownership and got my unit in and out of service in about 1 week.
post #28 of 253 Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM

I hope this doesn't sound odd, but being that you've had 4(?) repairs done, you may be able to shed some light on how bad the Onkyo design actually is. I'm just wondering what kind of stand your Onkyo was in, was it enclosed with no air movement or open to the sides and back. Did you try adding fans or moving it to a more open rack, or was it put back in the same spot after each repair?
post #29 of 253 Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I put the serial number of my TX-NR818 and selected the network grayed out option as well as the loss of audio on all channels, and it came back saying my receiver is eligible. I'm not having any problems, but it looks like being eligible might depend on the combination of options selected.
post #30 of 253 Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
my 3010 is repaired and waiting for them to send it back

Status Modification Complete, Pending Return Shipment
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page