Best receiver for Bose 501 Series IVs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Best receiver for Bose 501 Series IVs...

Hi All,

I am new here and the reason I joined is because many of you sound like you know what you're talking about!

I have a receiver (Vector Research VRX 7100) that is 60watts / channel at 4ohms (so I hear in reality that it's 30watts / channel at 8 ohms)

My speakers are Bose 501 Series IV. I love them!

This setup sounds pretty nice and I have owned it since around 1984.

It's time to buy a receiver that I can connect to my flat screen TV. Here are my priorities in order:

1. It HAS to sound beautiful at low to mid volume levels (and loud occasionally) when I play music CDs, and digital music from iTunes on a laptop or on a thumb drive.

2. It has to drive my Bose 501s. I am not ready to buy new speakers yet.

3. It has to connect to my Flat Screen tv.

Apple Airplay would be nice but I know I can add that later if I want to.

I don't care about surround sound.

What I will connect are a CD player. A BluRay player. A cable box. And a Panasonic 50" TV. And later an AirPlay device.

I want to be able to control everything from my sofa without getting up! (I'm a guy).

I have listened to Rotel, NAD, and Yamaha and I think watts don't matter as much as I thought but I am not sure yet. I think these 501s can sound better with the right receiver. I don't need the zillions of bells and whistles that many companies offer. Hell I don't even want AM/FM! I just want GREAT SOUND!

My budget is around $1000 + or - a few hundred $.

I like everything from Rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes etc...) to Classical music.

So, do you have any opinions on what receiver or AV Receiver will drive my Bose 501s and meet my priorities listed above? There are SO many receivers on the market and some of the info is misleading (Marketing!).

I am considering Rotel, NAD, Marantz, Onkyo and Yamaha but I really don't know what will work best with the 501s.

And I could go with an integrated amp or a full blown Home Theater Receiver... it's just me and I don't need so many of the options on the HUGE Home Theater Receivers. I'd rather spend money on great sound but it still needs to connect to my TV.

THANK YOU!!!!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 444
An integrated amp isn't going to connect to your TV as they don't come with HDMI, so skip that idea.

I don't think your Bose 501's are particularly difficult to drive so pick whatever receiver with the features you want. There is no one receiver that stands out above all others. Its a user preference.

Since you listened to Rotel, NAD, Marantz and others which one did you like best?

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
An integrated amp isn't going to connect to your TV as they don't come with HDMI, so skip that idea.

I don't think your Bose 501's are particularly difficult to drive so pick whatever receiver with the features you want. There is no one receiver that stands out above all others. Its a user preference.

Since you listened to Rotel, NAD, Marantz and others which one did you like best?
TVs also have RCA jacks so they can connect to integrated amps. I am thinking I don't need all the bells/whistles that a true Theater Receiver gives so why not pay for better sound? Anyway, I don't see the problem with having no HDMI ports.

I could just go to Costco and pay $350 for a Sony that has all the bells/whistles and be done with it but at what cost to sound quality. Or I could spend $1200 on a huge monster that may sound well but has way more junk on it than I want.

I was hoping to get a few good opinions here about that. From what I have read on this website there are good knowledge able people who have been through this experience. I am hoping for that kind of advice.

The Bose will make sound with any amp but as you may or may not know not all amps sound the same with the same speakers.

Sure I can buy 10 receivers and bring them home and try them but before I do something like that I like to ask people about their experience. Hopefully I can narrow things down a bit.

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well your Panny TV probably doesn't have RCA audio out jacks, only optical. I own two panny tv's and neither have rca audio outputs.

So you're planning to connect all your video devices directly to the TV?

you said you wanted to buy a receiver that you could connect to your TV. If you buy an integrated amp how would that be any different than what you have now?

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
well your Panny TV probably doesn't have RCA audio out jacks, only optical. I own two panny tv's and neither have rca audio outputs.

So you're planning to connect all your video devices directly to the TV?

you said you wanted to buy a receiver that you could connect to your TV. If you buy an integrated amp how would that be any different than what you have now?
Good point. I decided to get an AV receiver. Marantz SR7007. I set it up last night and it sounds fantastic. Still have a lot to learn about all the features but the sound is great!

Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice receiver, you should be very happy with that one.

There's a SR7007 Owners thread that might be helpful to you later.
Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Very happy with it but now I may want new speakers! Ahhhhhhhhh! ; )

The Bose are very nice but I think I can do better... My living is not very Bose friendly since they need to be placed perfectly in order to take full advantage of them. Still they sound pretty darn nice. I have an opportunity to but Bose 901s for around $700 and may do that - I will head to Glendale, CA to hear them at a Bose store over this weekend.

I also also looking at Definitive Technology because they have subs built into them which is appealing to me since I like the deep bass my 501s produce.

So many speaker choices... hard to test them all!

David
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You should definitely test out many other speakers than Bose. You may find that you like some of them better.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors