AVS Forum banner

4 ohm: External Amp or Marantz 5009

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  audio4life 
#1 ·
I got on AVS this morning to ask for amp suggestions to drive my soon-to-be purchased Monitor Audio Silver 8's. I just purchased a Marantz 5008 after moving my 5007 to our bedroom.

Then I saw a thread about the 5009 adding 4 ohm output! It would be a lot simpler and easier to have a 4 ohm receiver. One less thing to plug into the wall, less cords, less heat.

SO shouldn't I just return my unopened 5008 & pick up a 5009 instead?

#2 · (Edited)
The 5009 simply adds a current limiting setting (p. 28 Owner's manual) which will cap the AVR at a lower maximum volume level than would be the case with the 5008. No difference in power specs between the two models. If you want to go to louder than moderate volume levels, external amplification would be required with either model.

#7 ·
The 5008 is rated at 140 W into 6 ohms. Assuming it does that into 4 ohms (probably do a bit more), then 140 W into your 90 dB/W/m Monitor 8's will produce ~103 dB for the pair at 12 feet away. IOW, +1 to jdsmoothie. A 300 W amp would only slightly increase the max output (3 dB increase is not a very big increase in volume) and would exceed the power ratings of your speakers. I'd stick with the Marantz 5008 until proven otherwise.

#8 ·
There is simply more to it than power IMO. It's not the power it's the ability of the amp to drive 4ohm (or lower) speakers.

A 60W amp handled 4ohm speakers much better than a 70W amp (I know 10W isn't anything) However according to you, they should be the same. They weren't. The 60W amp had a much higher capacity power supply.

#9 ·
My post was to the OP not in response to your post. I think everyone knows your position. I did not say anything about all amplifiers being the same; that is not my position and you are reading too much into my response. I do have some knowledge of amplifier circuits and how various parameters relate in the design. I was not trying to debate your position; pretend there were other posts between ours and move on.

#11 ·
True, although IMO the need for full power on every channel is over rated. As for room and volume level (SPL), nor do you (I assume), and that is why I cited a specific example giving power, distance, and resulting SPL. The SPL calculator I used is at http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html and I assumed two speakers with no room gain ("away from walls").

For the same scenario, 100 dB is reached with 60 W, 90 dB with 6 W, and 80 dB with only 0.6 W. 80 dB average is usually too loud for me but you do need headroom for long peaks. I suspect 100 W is plenty enough the vast majority of the time, and if a gunshot or explosion (or even loud snare hit) gets clipped it's unlikely anybody would notice.

One other thing worth mentioning is that I have no idea the actual impedance curve of the Monitor 80's. If it has very low dips at low frequencies the Marantz could have problems if the listener is fairly far away and likes it loud. No way for me to tell, but my default answer is to try the AVR first before jumping on the amplifier bandwagon. There are usually lots of other things to spend money on.

IMO, IME, YMMV, my 0.000001 cents (microcent), etc. - Don

#12 ·
I'm not arguing on the need for all-channels-driven-power. What I said was, when more than 2 channels are driven a different picture emerges. I am not interested in getting into a debate on amps vs AVRs. I am simply saying one can not really make a suggestion that is helpful without getting some more details on the room and seating distance, for instance, and what volume levels the person is hoping to achieve at his seating area.

#13 ·
Then I suppose a better response than arguing the merits (or lack of) in my post and concluding it is unhelpful would be to address the OP:

swampjelly: How far away are you from your speakers, and how loud do you normally play them?

#17 · (Edited)
FWIW ... I've owned a Marantz SR5007 for the past 20 months, paired up with three 4ohm speakers (MartinLogan Motion 40s and a Motion 30 center) and a pair of 5 ohm surrounds (ML LX16s).

During the winter months, things seem fine (thermostat set around 64 degrees).

During the summer, however, the AVR can get pretty hot to the touch (we don't run the AC until temps reach the upper 80s) ... to manage the AVR's internal temp, I've run a small Cool Components dual fan at about 1/2 to 2/3 speed (full speed is too loud), and this helps keep the AVR from becoming too hot. If I'm in the adjacent dining/computer room (on a really warm day) I'll even point a floor fan towards the unit and this will keep things very well in check.

Additionally, I've designed a shelf that I can pull the AVR out about 4" from the armoire in which it is placed ... and finally, there is almost 3'' of space above the SR5007 ... all for as much breathing room as I can manage.

Nevertheless, I've become tired of trying to manage this situation - and worry that, because of the "hot to the touch" temp that result sometimes without the (noisy) fans involved, that I may be overworking the SR5007, resulting in a shorter life span for the unit.

Therefore, I decided to add an amplifier. I was all set to order an Emotiva UPA 500 (120watts per channel @ 4ohms) for $349 and provide my hard working Marantz AVR some (IMO) much needed and capable assistance.
I was really hoping that Emotiva had an offering somewhere between the (120wpc @ 4ohms) UPA 500 and the (330wpc @ 4ohm) XPA-3 / (300wpc @ 4ohm) XPA-5 ... something in the 200wpc range ... but they don't.
When I asked about b-stock inventory at Emotiva, I was told that the UPAs are already marked down as far as they can go, and that the XPA-3 was selling for $650 and the XPA-5 was at $800.
I ordered the XPA-3 and will use the Marantz to drive the surrounds.

I haven't received my RCA cables yet ... I'm looking forward to hearing how an amp will "open up" the sound coming from the ML Motion speakers ... and I expect that the AVR will be able to drive the surrounds without much difficulting, and therefore retire my Cool Components unit.

Property Room Television Electronics Television set

#21 ·
FWIW ... I've owned a Marantz SR5007 for the past 20 months, paired up with three 4ohm speakers (MartinLogan Motion 40s and a Motion 30 center) and a pair of 5 ohm surrounds (ML LX16s).

During the winter months, things seem fine (thermostat set around 64 degrees).

During the summer, however, the AVR can get pretty hot to the touch (we don't run the AC until temps reach the upper 80s) ... to manage the AVR's internal temp, I've run a small Cool Components dual fan at about 1/2 to 2/3 speed (full speed is too loud), and this helps keep the AVR from becoming too hot.

The Cool Components Dual Fan unit looks like a slick package, but I'm sorry to hear that it can be too noisy.

There are more effective approaches that are far quieter and move more air.

For example I pulled a couple of 120 mm quiet fans from stock, and powered them with a 12 volt wall wart.

These fans have a built in speed switch but are about 10 dB quieter in their high speed mode and a whopping 20 dB quieter in their low speed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...0mm-Case-Fan-TRUE-QUIET-120-New-/320883392760

The 12 volt power supply I use is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-12V-2A-...-AC-100-240V-Converter-AdapterC-/261569926092

The wring is low voltage and can be spliced very neatly and safely connected with these:

which you can also get on the web or at home improvement stores (they are general purpose but designed for telephone and alarm wiring).

The fans have rubber mountings that will keep them steady and shake free when you sit them on top of your AVR's top cooling vents. You can also use them to exhaust hot air from an equipment cabinet.

Here is a temperature controller that you can use to shut them off when not needed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-110-C-DC...stat-Temperature-Control-Switch-/400677190587

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.