Zone 2 and 3 Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Zone 2 and 3 Question

I have a set up where I have 3 channels left on a 5 channel amp to run zone 2 & 3. Could I run Zone 2 off of 2 channels and run Zone 3 on 1 channel? Zone 3 has 2 small bookshelf speakers that are 8 ohm each. Can I wire them together and set up the Zone as a mono signal or do I need to get a separate 2 channel amp. I know that the separate 2 channel would be ideal, and I do happen to have one, however it would clutter things up quite a bit. I do not want to risk harm to my 5 channel amp but I do not use Zone 3 that often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
I have a set up where I have 3 channels left on a 5 channel amp to run zone 2 & 3. Could I run Zone 2 off of 2 channels and run Zone 3 on 1 channel? Zone 3 has 2 small bookshelf speakers that are 8 ohm each. Can I wire them together and set up the Zone as a mono signal or do I need to get a separate 2 channel amp. I know that the separate 2 channel would be ideal, and I do happen to have one, however it would clutter things up quite a bit. I do not want to risk harm to my 5 channel amp but I do not use Zone 3 that often.
Bump.....working on the system today so a little advice would be greatley appreciated..
Thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Two speakers could be driven from one amp channel. Assigning that as mono probably not possible. What receiver/amps are being used?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Two speakers could be driven from one amp channel. Assigning that as mono probably not possible. What receiver/amps are being used?
Denon X4000 along with a B&K AV 5000 sereis II. The Denon has the capability to assign a zone in Mono
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The denon x4000 has a 7 channel amp with 5.1+mono zone2+mono zone3 selectable. 5.1+2+1 internal impossible.
But you are already using all 7 as 7.1 in main zone and 5 channel external amp only for the other 2 zones?
So what you really need is the zone3 preamp outputs to switch to mono. I don't think the receiver has that switch.

Try connecting a rca Y cable (double male to single female) at receiver and combine signal to one mono rca cable and then
another Y at the amp to share the signal over two channels (dual mono speakers). Otherwise try just one y cable combining signal and connect
both speakers to one amp output if only 3 channels work. You might as well connect stereo to both zones and use 4 channels of the amp
if they all work. Or repost original question in x4000 receiver thread here with the receiver, speakers and amp models included.
The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Last edited by kikkenit2; 08-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page