trouble in the center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
trouble in the center

So I just bought a yamaha rx-a740 receiver. I bought 2 definitive technology 800's, a klipsch sub, and a Polk tsx 150c for the center. When I do the YPAO tune I hear noise from the center but that's it. When I go to hdmi 1 I only get sound from the tech def's. Has anyone had this problem or know where to point me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
For better audio quality, suggest replacing the Polk with a Def Tech center as ideally you want your front three speakers from the same family. More than likely you have the AVR in Stereo mode.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking in the owners manual and it looks like it is setup to send a signal to tall speakers. Am I not looking in the right place?
post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I agree with Smoothie on the center channel thing; you want your front three channels of the soundstage to be at, the very least, from the same manufacturer but ideally all from the same speaker series for a good timbre match...

That being said, I'm running a Polk center that doesn't 100-percent perfectly match my Polk mains (they're all from the "RT" series of speakers, but the center is from an older generation of "CSi" centers that matched an older series of "RTs") and my front panning effects sound fine to my ears.

Still, OP, you want to change out that center to something from at least the same brand as your mains...

post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I will definitely upgrade, I was only going to get the 2 Def techs but then it was a 200 dollar center for 65 bux. But it being a Polk is not what is stopping it from working cause it works during the test tones and the YPAO auto tune. Cinema DSP is displayed but I don't get sound out of the center.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok it is working now. Not sure what I did but I have center sound just kept messing with stuff. Anyone know the best way for me to get up to speed on all these settings. I can tell in getting hooked on this audio stuff. It's way better to hear all the little things.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache2831 View Post
I will definitely upgrade, I was only going to get the 2 Def techs but then it was a 200 dollar center for 65 bux. But it being a Polk is not what is stopping it from working cause it works during the test tones and the YPAO auto tune. Cinema DSP is displayed but I don't get sound out of the center.

Oh, of course it will work...it's not as if non-matching speakers will refuse to work...the thing is, you'll get -- or should get -- a more "cohesive" pan across your front soundstage with speakers from the same (or similar) series...

post #8 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache2831 View Post
Ok it is working now. Not sure what I did but I have center sound just kept messing with stuff. Anyone know the best way for me to get up to speed on all these settings. I can tell in getting hooked on this audio stuff. It's way better to hear all the little things.

Apache,

Try these settings -- in your receiver's speaker calibration menu, adjust the front left speaker to +6dB, the center to +8dB, the front right to +6dB (if you're sitting equidistant from both the front left and right mains), then set your surrounds to +6dB as well (also assuming you are completely equidistant from both surround channels; don't make the surrounds any higher than the mains though)...the sub is a bit trickier...try leaving your sub's volume knob turned to halfway (50%) and in your receiver's calibration menu set the subwoofer to +3dB or so...if it's too boomy, reduce this...

Let me know what your speaker layout is and such...

Are you running surround speakers or just three in the front?

post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I am currently only running 3 speakers cause I wanted to buy a quality then continue to piece it together. So here is what I noticed on movies through Netflix through my Xbox have sound to all three. But cable (Verizon) only to the Dec techs. Could this simply be the signal from Verizon doesn't deliver a center signal. That is the big thing I noticed. For my setup it is just the Polk and 2 Dec techs with the automatic YPAO setup. I'm new so I'm just looking for the best sound quality possible for what I got.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have had Yamaha receivers for years, and I generally only do the following steps -

* Run YPAO, fix any issues like phase ( phase warning can be wrong, but sometimes it's a wiring mistake)
* Set all speakers to small unless you truly have full range speakers ( I have yet to own a speaker that did not benefit from the small setting)
* Possibly bump center channel level a bit if it improves dialog
* Possibly consider Adaptive Dynamic Control if you feel it improves dialog at lower listening levels, and reduces the need to adjust volume during playback

Another possible issue is subwoofer level set to high. If your subwoofer level is the lowest possible level, you might need to lower subwoofer's own level control as it could be too high

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page