Advice on home theater sound system? ~$800 budget, further details in thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on home theater sound system? ~$800 budget, further details in thread

I'm mostly ignorant when it comes to sound systems, and a friend suggested I come here for some advice. I was going to go with a theater-in-a-box, but he dissuaded me of that notion.

I'm currently using a sound bar that is pretty crappy (Yamaha YAS-70CU, with subwoofer). Something about it really drowns out voices when other stuff is going on, and when I try using EQ presets everything sounds horrible, like there's some fake reverb effect going on. So, I want to upgrade.

I'm thinking about just going with a 2-speaker setup for now (I don't really want to deal with running wire for rear speakers), and possibly upgrading to 5.1 or 7.1 later. I'm going to put it in my living room; layout below.

I will almost exclusively use this sound system for movies/TV -- I hardly ever listen to music (though I do occasionally throw parties and turn on some tunes).

My current plan is an Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver and a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52-LR floor-standing speakers. The bookshelf version of those have gotten some pretty good reviews (I'm not really sure of the difference between bookshelf and floorstanding, but it seems like floorstanding would be better?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of those, or better alternatives that stay within budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Instead of the 636 with only a 2 year warranty, consider instead the Denon X2000 on clearance for $399 with a 3 year warranty and which will likely not only sound better (with both FL/FR and subwoofer EQ) but which will also allow you to put the $150 in savings towards a center speaker which is where 85% of the dialogue is directed.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Liked: 10
No, that is false, 75% goes the center!!!!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you are looking at mostly movies, and, looking at only two speakers, I would look for a nice set of bookshelves and a nice sub. Don't really need floor standers for movies, if you have a sub. But, as jd said, a center channel would be really nice.

Frank, "Still the one"
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Ok, thanks for the advice all! I'll probably just use my existing sub and the two bookshelves then. Does anyone have any advice on a good center speaker? If I go a little over budget, it's not that big of a deal.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page