How will an upgrade from my Yamaha RX-Z7 to and Anthem AVM 50 3d effect the sound? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By grasshoppers
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How will an upgrade from my Yamaha RX-Z7 to and Anthem AVM 50 3d effect the sound?

I currently have B&W CM9s and CM5s in 5.1 and a 220 watt per channel 5 channel Anthem amp. How will an upgrade from my Yamaha RX-Z7 to and Anthem AVM 50 3d effect the sound?

I used to power my CM9s from my receiver, however the upgrade to the Anthem amp seemed to product a huge change in sound in terms of sound stage and general clarity. The fox fanfare blow me away every time I listen to it.

I want to see if I can take my system to the next level and I wonder if a prepro would be the way to do that?
Halbrium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please help! I have read a bunch of reviews and articles but I can't find a specific explanation for the difference.
Halbrium is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
The Anthem has ARC (Anthem Room Correction)
Which is In my humble opinion is light years
Ahead of the Yamaha's "YPAO" correction.

Frankly, I don't see a down side..my opinion as
An Anthem MRX AVR owner.
grasshoppers is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
The Anthem has ARC (Anthem Room Correction)
Which is In my humble opinion is light years
Ahead of the Yamaha's "YPAO" correction.

Frankly, I don't see a down side..my opinion as
An Anthem MRX AVR owner.
Is there a difference in sound without the room correction?
Halbrium is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Should be about the same, but the Anthem
Is probably one of the most highly regarded
Pre/pro out there.

Remember 75% of what we hear is the speakers and
how they react to the room where we listen.
25% is the electronics.
You've got the good speakers already, what about the
Room?

This is the advantage of ARC.
jproy13 likes this.
grasshoppers is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What about http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=AV8801

It's half the price and all the reviews I have read praise it's room correction.
Halbrium is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
What about http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=AV8801

It's half the price and all the reviews I have read praise it's room correction.
That is also a very good choice. The Audyssey in
The Marantz is the best consumer version available
At the moment. The reviews have been very solid
For xt32 with sub EQ.

What is it you are trying to accomplish??
grasshoppers is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
That is also a very good choice. The Audyssey in
The Marantz is the best consumer version available
At the moment. The reviews have been very solid
For xt32 with sub EQ.

What is it you are trying to accomplish??
My use is 95% home theater, some music (pop, rock, folk) but not a ton.

I want the dialogue to sound more natural (less amplified if that makes sense) and to be clearer. In general I just want it to sound better. I think the CM9's are good speakers and adding the Anthem amp seemed to make a huge difference in terms of clarity and low end. I'm trying to find a way to get another jump, and I figure using a 2009 mid-level Yamaha receiver isn't close to optimal.
Halbrium is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
My use is 95% home theater, some music (pop, rock, folk) but not a ton.

I want the dialogue to sound more natural (less amplified if that makes sense) and to be clearer. In general I just want it to sound better. I think the CM9's are good speakers and adding the Anthem amp seemed to make a huge difference in terms of clarity and low end. I'm trying to find a way to get another jump, and I figure using a 2009 mid-level Yamaha receiver isn't close to optimal.
Ok, the Anthem AVM has a ton of high end video features
On it. If you are going to be focusing on sound then the
Marantz will be a better value!!

PS-"low end" equals a great sub or two. Your speakers aren't
Going to kick butt on the low end! You don't mention what
Subwoofer(s) you use??
grasshoppers is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Halbrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Ok, the Anthem AVM has a ton of high end video features
On it. If you are going to be focusing on sound then the
Marantz will be a better value!!

PS-"low end" equals a great sub or two. Your speakers aren't
Going to kick butt on the low end! You don't mention what
Subwoofer(s) you use??
Pulled the trigger on the Marantz! Thanks for your help. I use B&W ASW 12 CM Sub.
Halbrium is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Good to hear!

Any reason why you picked a B&W sub?
For the money you paid for that sub you
Could have got a couple (2) of killer ID subs
(Internet Direct) that will crush the B&W.

(Unless you are not in the States)

I sense an upgrade opportunity!
grasshoppers is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Marantz! Thanks for your help. I use B&W ASW 12 CM Sub.
Please do a follow up post on what you think
About your new Pre-amp!
grasshoppers is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off