Yamaha sc-67 vs Marantz 5009 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha sc-67 vs Marantz 5009

After lurking for a few years I finally joined. haha please go easy on me.

Im slowly getting around to buying stuff for what will be my home theater. I will eventually have a 60"LG Plasma with a motorized 106" screen in front of it. I dont have a projector picked out yet. I have 4 Martin Logan Motion 4 speakers that will eventually be my rear and surround. Also have a martin Logan sub (500) and center channel. I will likely be getting the Martin Logan SLM for my front speakers.

I am looking to spend about $1000 on a receiver. I had kind of decided on a Marantz sr5009 but today I was looking at a local Audio Video Unlimited and found a Pioneer SC-67 on sale for $999 from a MSRP of $2199.

Am i better off buying something a bit older (sc-67) or newer (5009). I should add that I dont need wifi so I might even buy the SC-5008 which I have seen locally for $749.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'd recommend you listen to them and decide. To me Pioneer and Marantz have different sounds. Also look at what features you may need such as airplay, latest HDMI, etc. Refurbished Marantz 5008 is $500 at accessories 4 less if you don't mind refurb.
swampjelly likes this.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post
I'd recommend you listen to them and decide. To me Pioneer and Marantz have different sounds. Also look at what features you may need such as airplay, latest HDMI, etc. Refurbished Marantz 5008 is $500 at accessories 4 less if you don't mind refurb.
It would be tough to compare. They are at different stores and I dont think either were hooked up. I could probably ask to get them hooked up but they will likely both sound OK if set up properly.

When I asked the sales guy he said the Pioneer was a way better receiver than his Denon AVRX4000 (they didnt sell the Marantz) but I dont know if he was just looking to clear out the old stock.

Im in Canada.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

and i guess the 5008 is out because it only has 1 hdmi output.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
It would be tough to compare. They are at different stores and I dont think either were hooked up. I could probably ask to get them hooked up but they will likely both sound OK if set up properly.

When I asked the sales guy he said the Pioneer was a way better receiver than his Denon AVRX4000 (they didnt sell the Marantz) but I dont know if he was just looking to clear out the old stock.

Im in Canada.
Yup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup.
So you would go with the Marantz (or Denon) over the pioneer ?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd go with a Marantz. I have a 5008 that I love so much I moved it to the bedroom and I'm about to purchase a 5009 for the living room.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have the Pioneer SC-67 and I love it... There are a couple of things you should know, though...
1. It has gobs of power, I think it will have more power than Denon or Marantz. The amp is Class-D so it runs more efficient and cooler than normal amps
2. The amp can drive 4-ohms speakers
3. The Pioneer self calibration (MCACC) is fast but does not compensate for the subwoofer
4. The remote control is really bad. The buttons are small and all the same size and the labels are smaller.

I used to own two Onkyo TX-NR905s and a TX-NR906. The Pioneer sounds smoother and so far has been more reliable... (All three Onkyos failed on me)

The only advantage I can see with the Marantz and Denon is Audyssey.

The Denon sounds a bit more smoother but lacks punch. The Marantz is not as smooth as the Denon but it seems to have a tad better balance in the sound.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
So you would go with the Marantz (or Denon) over the pioneer ?
Keep in mind that an AVR selection is often more subjective than objective as just because you like the audio from "A" more than "B", doesn't mean that someone else will. As noted, the Pioneer cannot EQ the sub, so for that reason alone I would select the Marantz or Denon. However, as long as you select a model that best meets your feature/input/output requirements, you will likely enjoy your decision.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I am probably going to go with the 5009.. Just tempted when i see a $2,000 receiver all of a sudden in my price range.