AVS Forum banner

Yamaha sc-67 vs Marantz 5009

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  black ace 
#1 ·
After lurking for a few years I finally joined. haha please go easy on me.

Im slowly getting around to buying stuff for what will be my home theater. I will eventually have a 60"LG Plasma with a motorized 106" screen in front of it. I dont have a projector picked out yet. I have 4 Martin Logan Motion 4 speakers that will eventually be my rear and surround. Also have a martin Logan sub (500) and center channel. I will likely be getting the Martin Logan SLM for my front speakers.

I am looking to spend about $1000 on a receiver. I had kind of decided on a Marantz sr5009 but today I was looking at a local Audio Video Unlimited and found a Pioneer SC-67 on sale for $999 from a MSRP of $2199.

Am i better off buying something a bit older (sc-67) or newer (5009). I should add that I dont need wifi so I might even buy the SC-5008 which I have seen locally for $749.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
It would be tough to compare. They are at different stores and I dont think either were hooked up. I could probably ask to get them hooked up but they will likely both sound OK if set up properly.

When I asked the sales guy he said the Pioneer was a way better receiver than his Denon AVRX4000 (they didnt sell the Marantz) but I dont know if he was just looking to clear out the old stock.

Im in Canada.

#8 ·
I have the Pioneer SC-67 and I love it... There are a couple of things you should know, though...
1. It has gobs of power, I think it will have more power than Denon or Marantz. The amp is Class-D so it runs more efficient and cooler than normal amps
2. The amp can drive 4-ohms speakers
3. The Pioneer self calibration (MCACC) is fast but does not compensate for the subwoofer
4. The remote control is really bad. The buttons are small and all the same size and the labels are smaller.

I used to own two Onkyo TX-NR905s and a TX-NR906. The Pioneer sounds smoother and so far has been more reliable... (All three Onkyos failed on me)

The only advantage I can see with the Marantz and Denon is Audyssey.

The Denon sounds a bit more smoother but lacks punch. The Marantz is not as smooth as the Denon but it seems to have a tad better balance in the sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.