Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Solution won't work, attempt #2

Afternoon gentlemen.

Am needing an additional 70-80 watts x 3 at minimum to provide the 150 watts that are recommended. My KEF Uni-Q is being replaced due to slight popping at mid to high volumes, & have only had towers a month. KEF rep said it was due to not enough power & suggested going over the 150 by 10-20 saying that the speaker is less likely to be damaged with a little over recommend & that running them at 90 per channel causes more damage than being over a small margin. Was going to get the NAD amp that seems to be loved by all, but noticed the pre outs on my Onkyo TX-NR636 are only for zone 2. Same story with the 737. The 838 has pre outs for all 5 channels & provides 130 per channel (124 continous) also bringing the THX certification which I've wanted. Too limited on home audio not to get some advice. Under his scenario I'd still need to get a 75 x 3 amp to run to the low frequency connections. Seems like too much of a discrepancy in wattage between two bindings. May I please have your advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Perhaps get an amp to go with your current receiver instead of getting a new receiver. The Emotiva XPA-3 would be a great choice. I have this amp and love it. Here is the link.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-3
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
^^^ ^^^
His current receiver doesn't have preouts for the main channels...

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Unless your listening at EXTREMELY high volumes or are in a cavernous space with the LP many feet from the speakers, even 50 watts is plenty.

What volume are you listening at?

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
The speaker power rating is a rating of the maximum power your speakers can dissipate without damage. You aren't likely to use more than about 20 watts per channel. The receiver is fine.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Unless your listening at EXTREMELY high volumes or are in a cavernous space with the LP many feet from the speakers, even 50 watts is plenty.

What volume are you listening at?

For TV & Movies I rarely go above the 20's. On a rare great movie that comes out (like when Guardians of Galaxy hits DVD) I'd play it in the 30's. When a great track like Smells like teen spirit gets it's turn in the library, I do go loud and take it to maximum of 40. But I have the volume for the remote control set up a few decibels, it's not a big noticeable difference like if adjusting the calibration.

20 per channel? Here's where I get confused. 20 from an AVR doesn't seem like near enough

20 from a higher quality dedicated amplifier makes sense, just don't feel like an AVR in this range is getting the current required to flex like that at all

Went with my gut and purchased (planned on it when I got home) by taking the 636 back to Best Buy. Try to keep the $ local when I can, & it never hurts to ask. They were asking 1200-1299 for it, not sure because I wasn't even considering them with the variance.. Had seen some online for under 800 & told her if she could match that, I'd do it, if not, I'm gone.

Took 10-15 minutes..... . yet still can't believe Best Buy sold me one for just over 700. Still got some game, (dusts shoulder) but damn.

Drops mic
post #7 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know the 150 is recommended highest amount. Though most are lenient with that number by at least 10% in most cases I imagine. They keep it low for what I call the 'dumb $hits rule' you know a few
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page