AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite SC-85 vs. Denon 4100W

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Ok guys (and girls); give me your input here, please. After weeks of research I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 AVRs. I’ve used pioneer for years and have been happy with them for the most part. I especially like the ‘auto level control’ feature (which is a necessity under my circumstances). It holds the volume at a comfortable level without sacrificing too much quality in the mix. I understand that most AVRs have this “midnight”option but some work better than others. I’ve never personally heard a denon but the specs and reviews sounds nice, and I especially like what I’ve heard about audyssey. Pioneers MCACC is also nice but I still have to do a lot of tweaking after.

I’ve also researched the various dolby atmos speaker set-up options between the 2 and I like that denon can be set-up to play 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 (with an additional 2 channel amp). And the pioneer can do 7.1.2 in atmos, but I cannot find any information about whether it could also be set-up to play 5.1.4. That option might be a selling featureto me. Anyone know about that?

#2 ·
I could be wrong about this... (if not I hate to be the bearer of bad news) but I don't think the Denon can do 4 overheads... (5.1.4= 5 channel surround with 4 overheads right?) If I'm wrong please let me know. I'm looking for the cheapest reciever that can do 4 overheads... looks like cheap might mean 2 grand for the time being... haha.

#4 ·
Ohh man that's awesome! That made my day... perhaps I'll be early adopter after all :)

So the other 2 are the rear overheads? If so, do you know which outputs on the Denon = .4 instead of .2? I was especially confused when looking at Pioneer's elite/ sc85/87/etc... as I've read "height" is the designation for overhead... but I see no such thing in the rear photos of Pionner.

#5 ·
Front Middle and Wides should be assignable for say Front Top, etc. Atmos speaker designations will vary as each manufacturer is likely to approach the old with the new differently.

#9 ·
If you want 11Ch (7.1.4), you either need an 11CH AVR or a 9CH AVR that can expand to 11CH with an external amp. As noted, the X4100W is a 7CH AVR that can expand to 9CH (5.1.4) with a 2CH amp. You can purchase an inexpensive amp like the AudioSource100 to power the height or surround speakers as they require very little power.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

#17 ·
So the SC85 will not do 4 ceiling speakers? i have a 7.1 system and just ordered the SC85 will have it tomorrow. I bought 2 polk MC60 and wanted to add 2 more. I have 2 rows of seating where would i mount 2 and then 4 if this SC85 with do it.

#18 ·
Read up a few posts to Jeffokada81. He lists what it's capable of along with a link to the manual, which is also obtainable on Pioneer's website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.