Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MichaelJHuman

post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would the R-S500 Stereo outperform an AV receiver?

Looking for best sound quality and I can't really do any a/b testing.

Because an eBay seller didn't ship my RX-V677 receiver for 3 weeks and I was certain it would be cancelled, I purchased a Yamaha Stereo and then of course shortly after the seller shipped the RX as well. So now I have 3 different receivers:

I have an Yamaha R-S2001, Yamaha RX-V677, Onkyo TX-SR608.

My original plan was to replace my Onkyo TX-SR608 with the Yamaha RX-V677. I would then use the 608 to replace my broken 2.1 computer system using Pioneer BS22's and matching sub. (At some point I'm going to upgrade the speakers, nothing crazy but in the $200-$300 price range)

Would there be a noticeable sound difference in music between the 608 and r-s2001? I've read that a lot of the music features on these stereos is mostly fluff. I'm also using a mac and as far as I know, you can't bitstream so the DAC of the 608 wouldn't matter. I know it's possible with Windows though so if the DAC of the 608 is considerably better than my onboard ALC887 I'd consider switching when I'd want to listen to music.

In my living room I have a Paradigm 90 ct setup. Would there be any noticeable difference with the RX-V677 over the 608?

Basically I have this RX-V677 here, I don't want to open it in case I need to return it. If anyone could make any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Oh and if anyone could comment on the headphone amps of each. I could only find one review for the R-S2001 and it wasn't great. However, I've been using it and think it well outperforms my FIIO e11 with AKG K242HD's.

Last edited by thedudecourt; 08-31-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
AVRs tend to have a bigger power supply than these stereo receivers. Compare the weights.

As for the signal path, impossible to say. AVRs generally look good on the bench tests in various tests so I don't know what the audible difference could be
arnyk likes this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page