Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz sr5009

Hello,
I just purchased Marantz sr5009 receiver, but it seems to be freezing up once in a while and when that happens the controller or buttons on receiver don't work. Only way to get receiver to work again is by unplugging it and then going through the setup menu.
Im running latest firmware. I haven't don't any micro processor reset procedures yet, but I just wanted to know if anyone else experience same issue or have any ideas that I can try to resolve it. Freezes happen randomly. 1st time when i just tried to turn off the receiver and 2nd time was tv was just on, then screen went black with no signal, it came back for a sec, but then turned off and froze. Had to unplug it.

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That's frustrating , I've had the sr5009 for about a month now and have not experienced that problem, fingers crossed. There's a few threads here on AVS about other Marantz models freezing up , they may be worth looking into ...
post #3 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Exchange it for a replacement.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 14 Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had mine for about a week and have the same issue. I will sometimes have the HDMI pass through for video only with no sound and other times no video signal at all no matter what component I switch it to. My system did seem to just start with this issue after it asked to upgrade firmware and I allowed it during standby. Next time I turned it on no signal to TV from any source. I'll be calling Marantz tomorrow.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Let us now what they say bgmspd , I also did a firmware update on standby , and I had one brief issue where nothing worked , but it turned out the firmware download just wasn't finished , and as soon as it did finish , the receiver worked fine .
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 11:55 AM

SR5009 Setup without HDMI

Couldn't find an official 5009 thread so thought I should just post here.

I finally upgraded my dead 5003 and just got around to attempting to set it up. First question I have: How do I access setup without HDMI? The genius who owned this house before me decided to finish the basement without access to the ceiling. He ran component cables to the projector box but not HDMI. No easy way to run it up there either.

I unplugged everything from the 5003 and reattached it to the corresponding inputs and outputs on the 5009. Turned on the unit and got a picture (more on audio in a minute) from the BR and DTV boxes. However, the unit display reads Setup on TV and I can't do anything with the remote. Does this need to plugged into HDMI? If so I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

Second question is the audio. I reattached all speaker wires the same way but no sound is coming out. Does this have something to do with the setup?

Any help is appreciated. Mods, if this is in the wrong thread please move. Thanks!

[B]TWC FREE FOR YEARS
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The GUI OSD only displays over HDMI so may want to go out and purchase a small 12" HDMI TV for setup only. Another option is using a laptop/tablet and entering the unit's IP address into a web browser (see Web Control p. 136 Owner's Manual).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The GUI OSD only displays over HDMI so may want to go out and purchase a small 12" HDMI TV for setup only. Another option is using a laptop/tablet and entering the unit's IP address into a web browser (see Web Control p. 136 Owner's Manual).
Ah, thanks. Do you think that the audio issue is related to setup? I took out all speak wires except one to check and still no audio.

[B]TWC FREE FOR YEARS
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 12:26 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The FL/FR speakers should be enabled by default. So you should hear audio.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
The FL/FR speakers should be enabled by default. So you should hear audio.
FYI... I did have a smaller TV in storage and hooked it up. Setup appears!

Crud, well I don't know why speakers wouldn't be working. They worked fine before I swapped out the unit. Stumped.

[B]TWC FREE FOR YEARS
post #11 of 14 Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

^^
What sources have you tried? Have you tried the TUNER? Try unplugging the power cable on the AVR for 10 minutes (soft reset).

post #12 of 14 Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 AM

I just purchased a sr5009 myself and have had the lock up or freezing issue twice. It has the latest Firmware and unplugging it seems to be the only thing to do to reset it. Have you found an answer to fix the issue yet? Thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmspd View Post
I've had mine for about a week and have the same issue. I will sometimes have the HDMI pass through for video only with no sound and other times no video signal at all no matter what component I switch it to. My system did seem to just start with this issue after it asked to upgrade firmware and I allowed it during standby. Next time I turned it on no signal to TV from any source. I'll be calling Marantz tomorrow.
I just purchased a sr5009 myself and have had the lock up or freezing issue twice. It has the latest Firmware and unplugging it seems to be the only thing to do to reset it. Have you found an answer to fix the issue yet? Thanks
post #14 of 14 Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the exact same problem with my SR5009..

If i use my PS4 via HDMI, the freezing accurs.. But if i use it with the optical cabel it wont freeze.

But my PC that i only can use via the HDMI port, it freezes alot, sometimes 4 times in one hour, and other times 1 in 3.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page