Onkyo TX-SR606 5.1 channel & component connections? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo TX-SR606 5.1 channel & component connections?

I've never done any set-up for a receiver any more involved than a DVD player, a CD player, a cassette deck, and a turntable. I'm now doing a set-up for an Onkyo TX-SR606. My Sony DVD/CD player has both component and 5.1 channel outputs. Somewhere in the instructions, it mentions that "sometimes" a DVD will have 5.1 capacity, which leads me to expect that many of them won't, in which case, I assume I'd want to run them through component cable to the receiver.

So -- do I hook up both the 5.1 cable and the component cable set-ups to the receiver? If so, will the receiver give me a chance to choose between them each time I run a DVD? If not, which cable set do I use, and why?

As always, thanks for sorting me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
component cables are for video only, no audio at all.

Your DVD player has 5.1 analog out and either digital coax or optical. digital coax/optical would be easier to use than 5.1 analog plus it a single audio cable.

Check the back of your player to be sure.

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2014, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
component cables are for video only, no audio at all.

Your DVD player has 5.1 analog out and either digital coax or optical. digital coax/optical would be easier to use than 5.1 analog plus it a single audio cable.

Check the back of your player to be sure.
Thanks, afrogt -- don't know what I was thinking, but, of course, you're right. And, right about the digital coax/optical, too. I've already committed the only two opticals I have, though, and have a couple of available 5.1's, so I think I'll give 'em a try.

…Not only have I never used either of those types of audio cables, I'm so far behind the curve that I've never used component cable before, either. I'm using all of them here, and one HDMI; so it's already quite an adventure, and I haven't even gone through the initial set-up process yet.

Anyway, again, afrogt, thanks for snapping me out of it.

NAT

P.S. And…. go, MadBum, go Buster, and go Giants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread