Help me decide on equipment for new theater/media room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Help me decide on equipment for new theater/media room

I just moved into our new house. I want to setup a 5.2 theater in the main living/media room (luckily my wife is a techy nerd like me!)... I can't really run 7.2 or 9.2 since I dont have a good spot to place the side speakers... have fireplace on left wall, and front door entrance on right side... the back of room opens fully up into kitchen but has a 3ft wall area above the opening which is where I plan to place the rears firing at a downward angle...

It will be 90% movies/TV and 10% music...

I'm not sure on budget, but i would like to take the least expensive route considering the speakers I have chosen... within reason ...

The room size is 15' x 18' with 12' ceiling (hardwood floor with big rug, couch, loveseat, two end tables, and coffee table... I will probably have to find creative ways to dampen the room without it looking ugly.. wife still wants it to be pretty!

Originally I was planning on getting a Marantz SR-7008 or Denon's flagship AVR, but I read a post awhile back that suggested to have amps separate from the pre-amp, that way when technology changes, all you have to do is upgrade the pre-amp for the most part... I thought that sounded wise... So which pre-amp for the money? Emotiva? or? However, I would love the ability to have 2 zones (theater as zone 1 and back deck as zone 2) and operate with iPhone, etc...

I plan on getting the Elusive 1099's for LCR and two Volt 10's for rear surrounds (can a pro amp like inuke 1000, 3000, 6000, etc run these? how would you do it since it's an odd number of speakers and the amps come in even number of channels? run 3 inuke 1000's mono on each? or??... OR would it be better to get emotiva 5 channel amp, etc?) Archaea has me sold on the Mackie C200s! but I don't think I can convince the wife on them ;(... the 1099's seem like they would be a better speaker though? but hard to tell without hearing either of them... Of course, anything is better than what I currently have!

I just purchased two 18" Dayton Ultimax UM18-22 subwoofers... I was considering an inuke 3000 to power them or an inuke 6000 (not sure which is best for two 18's?) not sure if I should run them sealed or ported, but plan on using them as base for the Left and Right 1099s to sit on.. bad idea? I have a feeling I might end up getting in trouble with the neighbors since they build all these new houses so close together!

TV is a 55" Toshiba (I plan on upgrading it in a year or so.. I really wish I had the space for a screen and projector! but the room has too many windows and the wall is only 161" before you hit a doorway on one side leading to hallway... )

I'll probably also have to run a dedicated circuit since these new houses are built with 15a breakers and 16ga wire! I figure I need a 30amp with 10ga? or at least 20amp with 12ga?

I look forward to your input! Thanks!

Last edited by mlah384; 09-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 667
I run two UM18-22's per channel on my iNuke DSP 6000 with the stock fans (modded fans - the amps shut down). So you could most likely run two UM18-22's per channel on a iNuke DSP 3000 bridged. The Ultimax UM18-22 is actually closer to a 6ohm driver above 8hz and so the iNuke will work a little below it's given impedance rating to run a pair. Otherwise if you want to not be amp limited, just get a iNuke DSP 6000 and run one Ultimax UM18-22 per channel.

As to speakers - - - you know my recommendation there.

As to receivers - I traditionally have recommend Onkyo for price to performance reasons, but be cautioned of their ongoing HDMI problems. (there is now an extended warranty/recall/support for all affected receivers through 2018).

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I run two UM18-22's per channel on my iNuke DSP 6000 with the stock fans (modded fans - the amps shut down). So you could most likely run two UM18-22's per channel on a iNuke DSP 3000 bridged. The Ultimax UM18-22 is actually closer to a 6ohm driver above 8hz and so the iNuke will work a little below it's given impedance rating to run a pair. Otherwise if you want to not be amp limited, just get a iNuke DSP 6000 and run one Ultimax UM18-22 per channel.

As to speakers - - - you know my recommendation there.

As to receivers - I traditionally have recommend Onkyo for price to performance reasons, but be cautioned of their ongoing HDMI problems. (there is now an extended warranty/recall/support for all affected receivers through 2018).
Thanks Archaea!

So I guess I should wire the DVC in series to 4ohm and run one 18" on each channel of the inuke 6000?

And would you do onkyo receiver with built in amp? Or the processor and run separate amp for LCR and surrounds? What's a good 5ch separate amp?

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page