Denon AVR-X4000 or Yamaha RX-A2030 or RX-A1040 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR-X4000 or Yamaha RX-A2030 or RX-A1040

Having spent the last few days reading up here and on other forums, I wanted to check if I am making the right decision. At this moment, I can buy a Denon AVR-X4000, a Yamaha RX-A2030 or RX-A1040 for almost the same price, about £600. On paper, it seems that Denon X4000 has the "highest" spec and it comes with Audyssey XT32, but a good few people say very nice things about the Yamahas.

I am upgrading from a 5-year old Onkyo TX-SR706 which drives Dali Ikon 6 5.1 surround speaker package. I would like to get more refined stereo performance especially when listening to SACD (from Oppo BDP-93). I would also like to start playing hi-res audio downloads without having to buy a Linn DS etc.

I use my system 40% for HT (Blu-ray and Apple TV streaming), 30% local audio (SACD or ripped) and 30% streaming radio (Sonos). I mainly listen to jazz (vocally rich) and classical, but also some pop, rock and electronic (eg Pink Floyd). While I was relatively happy with the existing system for HT, I wish I could improve its the audiophile, stereo side.

For what it is worth, I have to thank the basic version of Audyssey MultiEQ for a massive improvement to my listening 5 years ago, which is why the X4000, as it comes with Audyssey XT32. I've no experience of YPAO but comments seem generally not as positive about it as about Audyssey.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have long bought Yamaha, but bought an X4000 last weekend.

I like the audio compression so far, I was always reaching for the remote on the Yamaha during loud scenes. Jury is still out, but looks good. Setup is very well done on the Denon, but you will still have to take time to go understand what needs to be changed, as it's setting all speakers to large ( a no-no in my book.) Given the current info I have, I set them all to small, with an 80 hz crossover ( except for the left/right towers, I set them to 60.)

I missed having the power outlets like my Z7 had. Not sure if the higher aventage models have the aux power outlets.

Display is good. Remote layout is good and overall good, but the labels are hard to read for me. I either need glasses and light, or memorization

Price was good on the X4000 (compared to MSRP.) Local dealer sold me one for what looked like the going price.

X4000 power output does not impress given the MSRP. I am mostly using external amps, and figure I would not run out of power even if not using the amps, so this is minor. Denon always did seem to be the most expensive mainstream AVR ( compared to Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony etc.) On the other hand you get Audyssey Platinum, which seems like a good feature set.

I guess if you love Yamaha, I can't say anything bad about it. Over time I will maybe have a better idea of how well Audyssey works in my own setup and come to some conclusions.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Do you use the X4000 much for stereo (hi res or not) audio? How does it sound compared to your Yamaha?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinpole View Post
Thanks. Do you use the X4000 much for stereo (hi res or not) audio? How does it sound compared to your Yamaha?
I had both the X4000 and Yamaha 3030 and I can tell you that the Yamaha was a true joy to own. I preferred it over the Denon with its sound in "My" system. That said I ended up with the Denon because I got it for $199 as a display model. I got the Yammy for a great price of $1299 but then I started to read about Atmos and figured I would hold off until 2nd or 3rd generation before making a large investment in Atmos. So I returned it and got real lucky in stumbling upon the Denon.
If I were you I would jump at the chance to get the 2030 as it is very much the same as the 3030 less the rear presence, which does not add that much anyhow. The Denon is good, but again with "MY" speakers the Yammy was better.....plus front presence is better than the wides, however, I've yet to try the heights, I am told not to expect much better if anything it will be worse.
I wouldn't go for the 1040 as that Atmos tech is just too new, and that is a big step down from the 20XX 30XX series.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

...or Anthem MRX 510?

Thanks for the reasoning for the Yamaha. As things go, I am now considering spending much more cash on an Anthem MRX 510, so going back on the features but hopefully getting something significantly better in music/stereo performance. I hope to listen to it this weekend, I wish I could compare with the others easily.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi can you please let me know where i can get the Yamaha RXA-1040 for £600, the cheapest I could find is £749 online.
Really thinking of getting this! thanks in advance
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your help. I ended up ordering Anthem MRX 710. Delivery this week, cannot wait.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page