Marantz SR7008 shutoff problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz SR7008 shutoff problem

I've had my SR7008 for a little over a year. It replaced a SR7001 that also kept shutting off on me (it was a while ago, but I think the 7001 error code indicated a line power problem...wouldn't put too much weight in that though). Now the new one has started doing the same (I think). It shuts off and blinks every 2 secs. According to the manual, this is a temperature problem. No way. It's sitting by itself on a table with nothing on top and a fan blowing on it. My amp/speaker setup had been more complicated, but since the problems started again I simplified it. The Marantz is now driving a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers (8 ohm) with nothing else. The problem still happens. In fact, it now powers off after a minute or two.

I called Marantz tech support. (I bought it from an unauthorized dealer...hope that doesn't come back to haunt me. The seller claimed there would be a way to get support from Marantz if I ever needed it. We might test that.) The Marantz tech guy was supposed to send me a startup procedure that would spit out some code (??) that would help diagnose the problem. However, the instructions I received only showed me how to get to "Protect mode"...power up while holding "zone select" and "back" buttons. I called back and the guy was puzzled...said he would find the correct instructions and email me again. That was a few days ago. I received nothing else. So I continued on with their other instructions: Move the unit to another outlet and power it up with nothing connected to see if it would shut off. It did after a few minutes. I powered it back up and selected "Protect mode" per the instructions above. It is sitting next to me now, still powered up (still nothing connected) going on ten minutes now.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened or how I could diagnose/fix the problem? For what it's worth, I poked around other options it presented along with Protect mode. When I selected "Service check" mode instead, it reported back "A01: Analog Pass." Not sure what that means if anything.

By the way, my earlier setup had two Chorus speakers wired in parallel for the left speaker and the same for the right speaker...so effectively the left and right speakers were 4 ohm each. But they were connected to the Marantz through an Adcom GFA-5503 amp using the pre-outs. This should have easily been able to support the 4 ohm load. So I don't know what's going on.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
If the unit is still shutting down with no speakers or sources connected, it will need to be repaired. FYI ... not that it matters in this situation, but for the future, the fan should be exhausting air away from the top of the unit, not blowing air over it (which puts dust into the unit).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'm screwed if I have to get this serviced. Is the S/N of the unit tracked to the dealer? They don't seem to exist any longer (surprise.)
post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As long as you have the dated receipt and they are/were an authorized dealer, you should be good to go.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So you have had two consecutive receivers that have developed the same issue of shutting off? I'm sure you want to get your receiver fixed and operational, but if I was in your shoes I would investigate the wiring and electrical supply that you are plugging the receivers into. The root problem may not be the receiver.

JR
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
So you have had two consecutive receivers that have developed the same issue of shutting off? I'm sure you want to get your receiver fixed and operational, but if I was in your shoes I would investigate the wiring and electrical supply that you are plugging the receivers into. The root problem may not be the receiver.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it might be in the speaker wiring or outlet. The first time or two I powered up the AVR separate from everything else on a different outlet, it shut off (once or twice). Then I started it up in protect mode and it stayed on. Since then, I've powered it up normally (presumably NOT in protect mode...assuming I don't need to reset it to normal mode) and it has stayed on. One time I forgot it was on and left it overnight. No troubles. Not sure why the first time or two it shut off. Does protect mode reset anything that would otherwise keep causing a shutoff even though the cause might have been removed?

My next step will be to connect a couple other speakers I have...some KG4s. Hopefully this is not an intermittent problem.

Thanks,
Mike
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
585-645-1006

Protect mode refers to the AVR shutting down only. Perhaps you mean you performed a "reset"?

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page