Yamaha RX-A830 - any thoughts on this one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yamaha RX-A830 - any thoughts on this one?

I'm looking at getting one of these, any thoughts on it? I have a RX-V661 and I like the sound. I tried a Denon, and it sounded a bit harsh, I tried a Marantz, and it had a lot more bass than I like. I'm back to my Yamaha, and really appreciating it after trying those two. I'm staying away from Onkyo after reading so many reviews of issues with them. I'll be running my amplified speakers on the preamp outputs, and most likely using YPAO for room correction. I really like how YPAO on my current receiver tunes the sound. I want basically what I have now, but newer with more features like ARC and OSD through HDMI. Input would be appreciated, if anyone has one of these RX-A830's in use. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 730 - I bought it because I had really liked the vx I had previously purchased. I've owned HK and Sony ES and Onkyo as well.

Another reason I bought the RX A-730was because I wanted to "see" 7.1 surround. I also want to try out yamaha's 3d setting as well.

I did get a kick out of a couple of the new blu ray titles that were re-mastered for dolby es.

Good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just found a RX-A810 and ordered it refurbished. It has a 1 year warranty, and was a couple hundred cheaper than the 830. Woot!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up canceling the order for the 810 as it didn't have the new YPAO version, and got a 830 instead. I compared it side by side to my old Yamaha RX-V661 and they sound pretty similar. A tad clearer, and bass is a tad stronger sounding on the new model. But so little I couldn't say it was worth the investment. I'll be returning the 830.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@NetTechie , I am also close to getting an A830 or 1030, what speakers are you using if I may ask, just gathering some opinions before my purchase.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using the preamp outputs for my powered speakers, I use 8 inch HR824mk2 Mackie's and an 12 inch HRS120 sub. I got an Onkyo, and it has a lot better bass sound to it. I'm pretty happy with Onkyo. Yamaha had an overly low sounding bass which lacked definition in my opinion, the Onkyo you can hear all the different sounds in the bass. Also the Onkyo outputs more bass in the higher frequencies, which helps to create a richer sound.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - RX-A830 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page