Onkyo TX-838 - Secondary HDMI Output Forcing HDCP? Cannot record. Can i disable it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo TX-838 - Secondary HDMI Output Forcing HDCP? Cannot record. Can i disable it?

Hi,

I have the onkyo 838, the secondary output is connected to my pc (Avermedia record card), I tried to record my PS4 (while deactivating HDCP from ps4 menu), and even a satellite TV.. it says the its HDCP protected while i'm sure its not.

Does the signal going through the reciever gets HDCP'ed?

Is there a way i can disable it? I mean if the source is protected, i have no problem its ok, but why even-though the source is not, i still get that its HDCP protected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-12-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you been able to record before? Can you record by plugging your PS4 directly into the capture card?

And why are you recording on the PS4 via a capture card? It has built in recording features. Unless you're recording content from Netflix, Hulu, etc., in which case HDCP is enabled whether you've 'disabled' it or not. (Apps can force it). Disabling HDCP only means disabling it where possible. And I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if you had a Sattelite TV box with HDMI that did not have HDCP. Heck; I can't even use DirecTV's app that allows you to stream DVR content to your computer because my laptop doesn't support HDCP and my desktop connects to it's monitor via mini Displayport! (No HDCP over miniDP)

What satellite provider do you have? It's my understanding that both Dish and DirecTV support external hard drives on their set top boxes (I have DirecTV and I know they do, even eSATA.) Why are you wanting to record Satellite TV? There might be solutions better than trying to record to a capture card out there for whatever you're doing. (For example, if you're wanting to be able to put your content onto your mobile devices; both DirecTV and Dish already have a means for you to do that). I know it's not ideal, but HDCP is not something you're going to get around through HDMI so it may be time to investigate another solution.

Last edited by romans5.8; 09-12-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - TX-838 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page