7.2 Zone 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
7.2 Zone 2

I'm looking at home theater AVRs which can support audio in another room/zone (2nd video nice, but not required). I thought 7.2 was my answer, but more reading indicates the speakers driven (plus sub) are L/C/R Front, L/R Side, and L/R Rear. If the AVR has Zone 2 capability (powered or not), the L/R Rear plus (sub if 7.2 AVR) are used for a 2nd room/zone. In my setup, I have the L/C/R Front speakers, plus L/R Rear speakers, but no Side speakers. What I want is to drive those 5 speakers, plus a 2nd room for the same or different audio. Am I going to be disappointed in my main 5-speaker room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo View Post
I'm looking at home theater AVRs which can support audio in another room/zone (2nd video nice, but not required). I thought 7.2 was my answer, but more reading indicates the speakers driven (plus sub) are L/C/R Front, L/R Side, and L/R Rear. If the AVR has Zone 2 capability (powered or not), the L/R Rear plus (sub if 7.2 AVR) are used for a 2nd room/zone. In my setup, I have the L/C/R Front speakers, plus L/R Rear speakers, but no Side speakers. What I want is to drive those 5 speakers, plus a 2nd room for the same or different audio. Am I going to be disappointed in my main 5-speaker room?
Since nobody else has jumped in yet, I'll tell you what I know. The 7.1 systems that I've seen can be set up as a 5.1 system with the other two channels functioning as a powered zone 2. 5.1 is the standard minimum for "surround sound," and it calls for LCR plus L and R side surrounds. Therefore, on a 7.1 system it's actually the L and R rear wiring posts that would go to your zone 2.

An example of a receiver that works like this is the Marantz NR1605. Here's a picture of the back panel: http://www.avcesar.com/source/actual...339_061339.jpg

Notice the background color on the rear surround channels is different from the rest of the speakers, indicating that they are assignable.

I hope this helps!

Tom
post #3 of 8 Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Let me ask the question a different way: Since I must use the rear channels for a 2nd zone, and since I do not have side speakers, what should I expect if I connect the side channels to my rear speakers (so I may us the rear channels in a 2nd zone)? Will it sound weird/awful, or are the side/rear channels in a 7-channel configuration used merely to enhance the L/C/R front channels, and therefore my altered configuration (L/C/R, LR/RR) will be fine?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
You actually do have "side" surround speakers (per Dolby standards), rather you are simply choosing to place them behind you. A 5.1 setup consists of F/C/R + 2 "side" surround speakers, regardless of whether you place them to the sides (ideal) or to the rear so you would connect them to the "Surround" speaker posts leaving the "Surround Back" speaker posts available for Zone 2. It's only when you add 2 more surround speakers in a 7.1 setup that you would connect the surround speakers to the "Surround Back" speaker posts.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
For a while I ran a 5.1 setup With no side surrounds only back surrounds and it worked perfectly well. Granted the rear were Connected the the rear outputs but that shouldn't matter. Just try and I'm sure you'll be happy.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Most (but not all) movies are 5.1. Most (but not all) movies provide only "ambient sounds" in the surround channels. Your receiver will downmix any 7.1 soundtracks to 5.1. So long as the "Surround" speakers are somewhat toward the rear of the seating (preferably not directly behind), they should sound fine.

Selden
post #7 of 8 Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kind of curious about this too - why do most (perhaps all?) amps use the rear surrounds for the assignable output to zone 2? Why not use the front height/width channels?

Maybe it's me, but wouldn't using surround back be the typical next "step up" from a 5.1 arrangement, rather than front height/width?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
^^
Because over 90% of households only have a 5.1 or lower setup, leaving the Surround Back speaker posts available for other configurations.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page